Happy to be the first person to reply in this thread
As far as use car parts is concerned there is many +ves and also it has its own fair share of problems. I got this experience while restoring my uncle's 1973 Fiat. It was Mysore state (Karnataka) registration MEE ! He bought it from Mangalore in 1995. My uncle was the second owner. The guy maintained the car well for about 22 years. Initially the car was running with the original Fiat Petrol engine. My uncle also used it with gas. Its engine was pretty silent and performed well for 3 years. One fine morning in 1998, its engine totally gone!
Since his usage was frequent, he thought of fitting a diesel engine to it. During those days, conversion of diesel engine was so popular. He proceeded with engine conversion work at Pollachi. (A small town in Coimbatore district.)
The positives and negatives were as follows after the conversion:
* We got a used Mazda diesel engine with turbo
for a reasonable price for about 40000.
* We also bought tail lamp covers, steering wheel, modified number plate light covers (Rear), silencer etc from a Padmini which came for its last journey to the workshop.
Positive is that we got the above parts for a reasonable price at Old market in Coimbatore.
Slowly and steadily, the car started to give troubles one by one.
* My uncle was happy that he got a diesel engine with turbo, which was quite new those days! But he made a mistake by fitting the same old gear box for this engine also. It was steering gear box and has 4 forward gears.
But this Mazda engine was about 1800 cc and doesnt match with 4 speed gear box. This leaded to heavy vibration when the car crosses 60 kmph.
* Since the engine was over powered for a Fiat, its silencer frequently gave problems. This issue used to have an expensive repair always.
* Another head ache was with the frontal tyres. Since the weight of the engine was awkward to the front tyres, it leaded to an early tyre wear and alignment needed very often. (Like the Matador powered Ambys.)
* Above all its braking system was a crap. Braking was always a trick in that car since it could not cope up with the engine's power.
Inspite of these minor
troubles, he had that car till 2006 and sold it with a heavy heart!!!
Conclusion: Borrowed parts for restoration/rebuild is suited only for non mechanical parts such as Tail lamp covers, Bumpers, Steering wheel etc. This is my kind suggestion.