Buying a Puppy Dog in New Delhi

Thread Starter #1
MOD: Please delete this thread if not relevant at all.

Hi Guys,

From a very long time I am planning to buy a puppy for my kids but unable to decide on breed nor found any good breeder in Delhi / NCR region.

I want you to please suggest me two things:

1. Which breed should do well with kids (8yrs and 4 yrs old) and that too in an apartment.

2. Any good breeder in Delhi / NCR region. Who believes in bringing the best quality forward rather running a puppy mill to gain money and nothing else.

Thanks for your time.

lxi.

Suspended
If you have kids, dont go for big dogs (german shepherds, Great Danes, etc.)
If the apartment is Small (100sq.yrds. or less), pomeranian is ok for you.
Or if the apartment is Medium one (100Sq.-300sq.yrds), Labrador is Ok.
If the apartment is a Giant Large one(>300sq.yrds), Doberman may also be Ok.

IMO, go for a labrador, it is the best in your criteria and will be available till 7-10k for a 1-1.5month old pup.

In NCR, you can try in Faridabad, there is a nice reputed shop in Sector-7.(something Rana petshop).

Good Luck!

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Lxi for the inputs.

Now the problem is I do not want to buy anything from the shop but from the breeder. See there is a little difference between a breeder and a shop keeper / dealer. Breeder (a good one) would see the linage of the dog and see that he gets publicity by delivering good pups from his side. Whereas, pet shop would buy puppies from some local breeder who is running a puppy mill and not bothered about the quality product going out from their side.

However, I will speak to Mr. Rana and understand his source.

Thanks

350Z

Core Team
From a very long time I am planning to buy a puppy for my kids but unable to decide on breed nor found any good breeder in Delhi / NCR region.
Great decision, Shailinder. Before moving on, I would like to make you aware that as soon as you bring a puppy, he will be a part of your family and require as much attention, care and moral support at times just like a human baby. So be prepared for it. But as and when the time passes, he will eventually return it back in form of loyalty as a dependable companion whenever you need him.

1. Which breed should do well with kids (8yrs and 4 yrs old) and that too in an apartment.
For kids and apartment life, I think toy dogs will be good enough like Pomeranian / Indian Spitz, Pug, Pekingese etc. If you want a safety dog, then retrievers / labradors are considered to be one of the skilful breeds which most importantly are also a friendly family pet.

2. Any good breeder in Delhi / NCR region. Who believes in bringing the best quality forward rather running a puppy mill to gain money and nothing else.
Maybe I can try to find out about specific reliable breeders. Alternatively you can also consider adopting one from NGOs / Vet Hospitals.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi shailinder,

That is a good news [clap]. Anytime I would go for a Lab, its lovable,best with children, looks very decent & the best part is very very easily trainable, I personally had different breed of dogs in my house but Lab is what I loved a lot & is planning to get one very shortly, you can still consider options, just my bit of opinion is what I have expressed, please share the memories of the same on its arrival. Waiting for it[thumbsup]

Good Luck
Santosh.V

Thanks Lxi for the inputs.

Now the problem is I do not want to buy anything from the shop but from the breeder. See there is a little difference between a breeder and a shop keeper / dealer. Breeder (a good one) would see the linage of the dog and see that he gets publicity by delivering good pups from his side. Whereas, pet shop would buy puppies from some local breeder who is running a puppy mill and not bothered about the quality product going out from their side.

However, I will speak to Mr. Rana and understand his source.

Thanks
I am 100% with you. A breeder ensures that you get a pedigreed dog with documented lineage. Most kennels/dog shops are never bothered about this aspect and just want to make a quick buck. Buying from a breeder would ensure a healthy pup with no inherited disease and a temperament befitting the breed that you finally choose to buy.

For an apartment, as correctly said by forum members here, a big dog would be a no-no. You need a dog breed that is not too big in size, has gentle temperament (= friendly with kids) and requires little or no exercise. Depending on your taste and budget, you might want to have a look at several breeds like Pomeranian (small and energetic), Apso (ditto like Pomeranian), Basset Hound (laaazzzy but adorable dog and fantastic with kids), British Bulldog (looks ferocious but has a gentle temperament, requires very little exercise, great with kids, loves staying indoors), Beagle (small, manageable, intelligent, energetic), a variety of Spitz, Pug (small, very fond of children, but moody), King Charles Spaniel (good with kids, reasonable size, mild temperament), etc.

My personal choice among these breeds would be either the Basset Hound or the British Bulldog.

All the best and keep the thread posted!

Thread Starter #7
Maybe I can try to find out about specific reliable breeders. Alternatively you can also consider adopting one from NGOs / Vet Hospitals.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks for the suggestion Vibhor but a dog from shelter is not what I am looking for because

a) I would not get a puppy there.
b) Grown up dog would be difficult to adjust at my place because other than me no one ever handled a dog or puppy.

Please see if you know a good breeder of Labrador.

Hi shailinder,

That is a good news [clap]. Anytime I would go for a Lab, its lovable,best with children, looks very decent & the best part is very very easily trainable, I personally had different breed of dogs in my house but Lab is what I loved a lot & is planning to get one very shortly, you can still consider options, just my bit of opinion is what I have expressed, please share the memories of the same on its arrival. Waiting for it[thumbsup]

Good Luck
Santosh.V
Thanks Santosh. Yes, I would keep you people posted about the development on this front.

I am 100% with you. A breeder ensures that you get a pedigreed dog with documented lineage. Most kennels/dog shops are never bothered about this aspect and just want to make a quick buck. Buying from a breeder would ensure a healthy pup with no inherited disease and a temperament befitting the breed that you finally choose to buy.

For an apartment, as correctly said by forum members here, a big dog would be a no-no. You need a dog breed that is not too big in size, has gentle temperament (= friendly with kids) and requires little or no exercise. Depending on your taste and budget, you might want to have a look at several breeds like Pomeranian (small and energetic), Apso (ditto like Pomeranian), Basset Hound (laaazzzy but adorable dog and fantastic with kids), British Bulldog (looks ferocious but has a gentle temperament, requires very little exercise, great with kids, loves staying indoors), Beagle (small, manageable, intelligent, energetic), a variety of Spitz, Pug (small, very fond of children, but moody), King Charles Spaniel (good with kids, reasonable size, mild temperament), etc.

My personal choice among these breeds would be either the Basset Hound or the British Bulldog.

All the best and keep the thread posted!
Thanks Sam. You gave quite extensive reasoning and suggestion. As of now, I am zeroing on Labrador or Golden retriever and let us see how things move forward.

As of now, I am zeroing on Labrador or Golden retriever and let us see how things move forward.
A Labrador would be easier to maintain in an apartment than a Golden Retriever because of the former's rough coat. Both are excellent companion dogs and are a joy to be around. Due to their friendly and trusting nature, both breeds make poor guard dogs, though.

Keep us posted. Awaiting the snap of a cute pup [:)]!

congo for pup buddy! i think boxer is also good dog. anyone know whats breed of dog which came in hutch ads?? well it was very cute.

There are two options of buying a puppy

1) from normal seller or breeder
2) from KCI (kennel club of India) registered seller. ( actually it is puppy which is registered not seller)

Now, always and always buy a KCI registered Dog, please dont confuse by seeing price. reasons are as follow.

1)Price: generally normal seller sell @ 25% less than KCI registered seller for e.g. a KCI registered labrador costs minimum 10,000 whereas normal seller sells at 7500 INR so the price gap is not too much.

2) What a normal sellers actually do.
a)they sell at low price without any paper work, so after buying you dont have any legal options.
b) during selling the puppy they will promise a lot and will guaranty everything verbally like breed, health, habit and behaviour of puppy, but once you paid money, he will hardly recognise you.
c)generally they sell 30-60 days old puppy and during this period lots of vaccination are essential which they dont give to puppies.(many puppies dies just after buying because of seller's negligence but they will blame you for it and you cant do anything because you dont have any proof, even they will say you are not my customer )
d) remember they are not just businessmen they are fraud too.
e)they will say father of puppy is registered or mother etc . simply ask the whether the puppy is registered or not.
f) they will say that they have given vaccine but actually they dont.

3) buying a cheap puppy from normal seller is not fruitful but it is traumatic in reality.
a)this 25% less price further proves costly, coz these puppy fall sick frequently even often dies. means treatment costs you pay plus it is really hard to take care of your sick puppy. you face situation like 1-2 hour sleep at night time for giving puppy medicine for 7-8 days.
b) remember a puppy cant say what problem he/she has and what they are feeling, where they have pain and there are very less qualified Vet (doctor) in delhi. so dont take risk , dont save this 25% money.
c) last but not the least, even if you have a puppy for 10 days, you feel connected with them, taking care of them, you start loving them, and when they dies it is traumatic. and if then you talk to your seller they will not recognise you, they will blame you.

So, be rational, be wise always buy a KCI registered pet. so dont come in the trap of low level, local and fraud seller like me. i was trapped by KUNAL PET POINT of GEETA COLONY ,(laxmi nagar preet vihar) DELHI..and i lost my "Chhutku". there are many fake sellers arround that locality and they sell via olx, quikr, etc.

Hi Shalinder. Great to see you get a pup for your kids. Even I'm planning to get a pup (preferably Labrador or Boxer). My small suggestion to you is to adopt one. There are loads of homeless dogs. Find out some good places where you can adopt one and give them their home as well. Take help of your friends and get the right one. Even I'm Planning to adopt rather than buying one from a breeder. This is my suggestion. But yes if you think it doesn't go down well then you can buy one.

Top Bottom