Career Advice Required

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

i want your help please. my cousin is doing BCA(Bachelor of computer applications) from Vivekananda institute of professional studies, IP university, Delhi. he is in final year, but the problem is that he has 4 back papers in that sense he would not be able to take admission to MCA, MBA regular atleast this year.

i think he also would not be able to do a correspondence course unless he gets a degree.

He is good in studies but due to some family situations he could not study well which resulted in back papers.

Now i request you all guys to give me advice that what should he do in the one year period. As he would not be able to take the degree in 2011, only he will clear in dec, 11 and he will get degree in early 2012 so he would be able to do a regular course from 2012.

I have suggested him doing DOEACC "A" Level course as he is eligible to do it. How is this "A" Level course? i tried go-ogling and fond that it is equivalent to PGDCA.

What other options he has to do? What other course he can do from the period of july 2011 to april 2012?

Please suggest.

Hi ivtech!

I am also a GGSIPU student but i am doing engineering, currently giving 3rd sem final exams.

If your cousin has plans to pursue MCA only then it is better to let him clear his backs first and side by side take coaching for MCA entrance exam. In this process, he will be able to get a good college for MCA.

My take would be to do some professional computer courses like "Certified Ethical Hacking" etc based on his liking and considering current trends in IT field. That way he will get good knowledge, certifications which will be a plus wherever he applies.

Luxury, Money, Power, Status & Interests. What career should I choose?

Before starting on the topic, I will like to give a brief background:

When I was 6-7 years old, I asked dad when can I drive a car. He explained me about license and driving rules, and asked which car I like. My reply was Accent or Esteem, and he promised me to gift one when I turn 18. At the same time, he asked me to gift him a Mercedes some day. At that age, I wanted to become an engineer and build a flying car. At this age, I had deep interest in computers and always wanted to learn more of it. I used to ask my mother to teach me more of Microsoft Office, and I had knowledge about Word and Excel comparable to someone in 8th grade.

I used to spent most of my time computing and wanted to learn more every time I learnt something about it. I decided to join NIIT to learn game making when I was in 7th, which I believe were very interesting and enjoyable for me. This was followed by learning C++ in 9th and C# in 10th(wasn't able to attend all classes though).

I had keen interest in science till class 8, when I was 12/13. In ninth, science got split into three different subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and for an unknown reason I started loosing interest in science. By the time I completed my 10th, I had decided that it was stupid of me to think of a flying car and should choose commerce stream in 11th. Due to lack of interest in science, I passed my 10th with just 7.6CGPA.

Now I'm in commerce, with Maths, Business Studies, Accountancy, English and Economics as my main subjects. Few weeks ago my dad asked me what I have planned for future, and keeping in mind my interest and knowledge about computers, I replied that I want to do BCA after 12th. He told me that I should look at other options, and should look at computers just as an interest or hobby. He told me about IAS, and also that he wanted to become an IAS but due to lack of training he was unable to crack it. Anyways, he is now at a level where most of IAS start. He also said that if not IAS, I should be doing something of "top-level". "Every second person today is a software engineer in Infosys or programmer in TCS, with 1Lakh salary". Business, he said can be another thing to look at, because if its successful, we all know it can mean a lot of money. Although I don't have any pressure from his side on choosing a carrier, I found these points to be quite valid. What's point of being just another common man, when you can either be in most respected job of nation or live luxurious life of a businessman?

And ever since he has spoken to me about this topic, I am completely lost and just think about this in my free time. Some of my views about these:
IAS: Respect. That's the first thing that comes into my mind when I think of it. We all read about people getting harassed by police officers and other similar stories, but hardly any of these can happen to an IAS officer. But success never comes easy, UPSC exams are most difficult to crack. And the salary one gets is not quite justified for the work one does and tension he goes through. 30k for start and 80k for highest level, other opportunities can offer much better, and with this I won't be able to "gift a Merc" to dad, although I'll be fulfilling his dream of IAS. (Don't suggest about 'under-the-table' payments. I've seen many people who oppose corruption but suggest it to students looking at careers. That's extreme level of stupidity and ignorance)

Business: Money, luxurious life, and above all, The Mercedes. I know I'm sounding stupid here, so let me come back to reality. Business requires constant efforts, unlike IAS. But good part is, there is always scope for expansion, development and opportunities and all depends on my capabilities. Somehow I find this better than IAS, because of the luxurious life I can have. But some people say after some time, money does not remain that important and this confuses me. What if I chose this and after 10 years I feel bad for myself?

Computers: This is where all of my interest lies. Programming, designing games, understanding how computer works and trying to improve it. All this gives me happiness. Its like Farhan Quereshi from 3 Idiots, "Do the thing where your interest lies." But this does not offer respect nor the luxurious life, and (I think at this stage) these can offer me some happiness too. Also, I can choose computers as an hobby and do it in some spare time along with IAS or Business.

I'm sorry for the long post. Its 4553 characters long till here([lol]). I want to choose something which I will not regret in future, I don't want to look at that 3-Series, saying to myself, "You could have been in it" and nor do I want to get harassed by some government official thinking "I could have shown him if I was an IAS". Although I have many months for this decision, I believe its the toughest decision of my life.

Re: Luxury, Money, Power, Status & Interests. What career should I choose?

Although I have many months for this decision, I believe its the toughest decision of my life.
My belief or the way I look at the career is to first judge yourself and decide accordingly and choose the option which you will enjoy doing so.
For me I used to love physics and maths a lot and the foundation helped me to do well in Engineering entrance examination and during engineering. I firmly believe that if your foundation upto +2 is strong you can do well in any field be in technologies, medicine or administrative.

When I was in 11th std, during JEE entrance coaching our Phyiscal chemistry teacher Mr. Anil Parmar asked one guy to solve one numerical. That guy told, Sir this is a numerical which only JEE aspirants should solve as it's too tough for Medical entrance. My teacher got angry and mentioned to everyone- You cannot be a doctor if you have chosen biology in +2 because you find Maths difficult. The Morale of story is chose as per your will and do not get afraid.

Wish you all the best and do well. Please do not spend much time in planning rather start working from right now.

yes Username I am in the same boat. I have a passion for automobile/mechanical engineering but I am not good at physics and math which are the core subjects. On the other hand, I love Biology and Business subjects. So now I am thinking of going ahead with Bio-Medical as my field in college. I have to start applying in a month already so I have to really take a good decision. If not bio-medical then I have decided for Biological Sciences. I have decided that my passion of automobiles can be quenched as a side hobby.

350Z

Core Team

What's point of being just another common man, when you can either be in most respected job of nation or live luxurious life of a businessman?
This is a phase of the life most of the students go through. You should start looking beyond ‘status, luxury, power, and money’. Remember, they’ll automatically come if you excel in a particular field and then why not that field be the one of your interest? So what if every second person is into IT? There are equally a lot of people who are into business as well. Making oneself stand out depends on an individual and not on a profession alright.

Drive Safe,
350Z

And ever since he has spoken to me about this topic, I am completely lost and just think about this in my free time. Some of my views about these:
IAS: Respect. That's the first thing that comes into my mind when I think of it. We all read about people getting harassed by police officers and other similar stories, but hardly any of these can happen to an IAS officer. But success never comes easy, UPSC exams are most difficult to crack. And the salary one gets is not quite justified for the work one does and tension he goes through. 30k for start and 80k for highest level, other opportunities can offer much better, and with this I won't be able to "gift a Merc" to dad, although I'll be fulfilling his dream of IAS. (Don't suggest about 'under-the-table' payments. I've seen many people who oppose corruption but suggest it to students looking at careers. That's extreme level of stupidity and ignorance)
I did prepare for exams, cracked all mock tests, cleared interviews but never went for final UPSC exams. Reason -

My friend's immediate family member was District Magistrate in Maharashtra. Whenever he wanted to do something good, like removing encroachments, not giving contracts to blacklisted contractors etc. there used to pressure from political bosses. He was transferred over 22 times in 15 years.

Just look at the following -

T Chandrashekhar, who changed the face of Nagpur was never called in Pune, thanks to Sharad Pawar. He was made MHADA chief but quit as he didn't give in to pressure of builder lobby in Mumbai.

Kiran Bedi was tipped to be Delhi CP, but was not made as she never shared good relations with ministers in Central govt. (Delhi police is under central govt & not state).

YP Singh, ex-IPS quit & is now social activist & eminent lawyer.

And I know many IAS who after service of 10-15 years quit job & joined major corporate houses. Look at Mahindra Group & Reliance, you will find plenty of them.

The Chief of NSG, Mr. Dutta who led anti-terrorist operation of 26/11 at Taj Hotel, Mumbai is now Chief Security Officer of entire Taj Group of Hotels.

Buddy, these IAS chaps are respected by common men, once you are inside the circle, they are nothing. Just see what happened to IAS officer Khemka who exposed DLF-Vadra deals recently.

Business: Money, luxurious life, and above all, The Mercedes. I know I'm sounding stupid here, so let me come back to reality. Business requires constant efforts, unlike IAS. But good part is, there is always scope for expansion, development and opportunities and all depends on my capabilities. Somehow I find this better than IAS, because of the luxurious life I can have. But some people say after some time, money does not remain that important and this confuses me. What if I chose this and after 10 years I feel bad for myself?
This is where you should be. You carry IAS, IPS, ministers etc. in your pocket. I still remember when I visited a Govt office last year for an infrastructure related project, how they were roaming around us.
I have personally seen how the so called red beacons can be in your pocket.
And forget IAS, post business, become a Rajya Sabha MP. Even the Chief Secretary will water plants at your house. [lol]
Why become someone whom you can buy ? Enjoy Mercedes & buy out red beacons. As simple as that [:)].

No this is not the way to confuse or demoralize any youngster with the negativity just because of the system.

I suggest that to focus on study rather wasting time on planning or dreaming.Better choose the career path as per your skill and interest. Whatever you opt as career goal never take any shortcut or go for any management seat. If you want to enjoy success then work hard and achieve it.

Last edited:
Career/Job thread

Dear All
I am starting this thread for all of us to network for new job and business opportunities.

I will start with my situation. I am an MBA and have 4 yr teaching experience.
But i realised over the years , being a faculty is really a sad situation in india

Hence i started with CFA last year and i am not even able to come here much.
I cleared CFA L1 with 70+ in the subjects . I have given CFA L2 in june and i am confident i will pass

I request friends here ,please help me finding a job in finance domain,
My Life is at stake

Education: Don't like this word in my life and if there's next life, education should be a bad addiction.

Okay i have finished my BBM (Bachelor of Business Management), in a job which is paying decent dough to buy myself things i like. (of course with little savings)

Seems like the current job (I am in Banking sector and Back-End operations) isn't enough for my future growth.

To be honest, i hate studies, had back-logs in my Bachelor degree itself,so i'm used to it.

Am i asking a correct question that i study further?

If that is a yes should i look out doing an MBA? If it's MBA then it will be marketing.

I heard that MIB is also good and the upcoming good course, does anyone have a solid info about this here?

St.Joseph College is offering this course here in Bangalore, may i try this?

I'm a engg graduate passed out in 2011 and i have lot of back logs till now. no matter how much i try. i will not be able to clear some papers. even i'm writing exams now.

currently i'm working in symantec but i know this job has no future. my plan is to start my own bpo. i have sourced few ideas. why don't you try and do a business. you might struggle in the starting point and your next generation will be able to stand on their legs without having to searching for job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Education:

If that is a yes should i look out doing an MBA? If it's MBA then it will be marketing.

?
If you want to study MBA then work hard and crack CAT/XAT and get into any one of top 20-25 colleges. Doing MBA from any xyz college does not have much value as the job you will get in retail banking or any other financial companies which will more or like selling insurence/home loan or KYC. I am not saying it is bad but it is not so great also.

Better would be work little hard and get into any Govt Job like P.O in Bank etc.

Distance Learning - Masters (MTech / MS etc)

Hello,

After working for about 14 years in IT industry, I now feel an urge to do masters - particularly in technical field.

The options so far I see are, doing MTech or MS course.

Did some research on the web and feel BITS Pilani to be a good choice among others such as Manipal. They have 2 Computer Science cources with quite attractive electives.

Anybody has any input in this regards? Some points I must consider, various options etc?

Thanks.

Re: Distance learning - masters (MTech / MS etc)

Subscribing to this thread. I'm sailing on the same boat, but with different background.

Top Bottom