How's Life as an Automotive Journalist?

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Ok Friends, So after searching 21 pages of this section and the various other sections, I am penning down my journey of living my passion for cars in specific and all things automotive in general. I today feel that I should write about "How's Life as an Automotive Journalist?". Automotive Journalism is as interesting and a responsible job just like any other profession but the thing that sets it apart is the tremendous amount of passion that keeps all the cylinders fired! A person might find a regular job dis-interesting but the field of automotive journalism is full of new things and by new things I mean, rapid changes in the automotive sector both national and international. Every morning, when you may venture on the road, that spark in your eyes on seeing a Rolls Royce or a Mustang or a S-Class is worth millions even in comparison to seeing a blue-eyed girl! This is just a simple description about how a passionate hobby can make you explore new dimensions of the versatile field of automobiles. The journey of becoming an automotive journalist begins from first being a hardcore automotive enthusiast and requires lot of passion, devotion and like any other field, knowledge. Some are born automotive lovers and some cultivate this passion over a period of time. I belong to the former category. Ever since I was born and began to speak and go to school, my father knew someday I'll make him proud. But till this day his dream remains unfulfilled[lol]. In specific Indian fathers expect too much!!

Living my passion for cars at 29 years is to me the best thing and a humble, friendly and informative platform like TAI has helped me to live my life as an Automotive Journalist to the MAX. Only a few people can genuinely pick out a true blue automotive enthusiast and I am fortunate to have been picked out. Coming back, Automotive Journalism unlike other regular jobs makes you travel to new locations, meet new people, you get to know about the automotive brands in detail and your profile does not make you stick to one particular car or bike. You can review, drive, explore any car or bike to the core and give your creative inputs without any fear of being criticized. I was not into field of automobiles until 2009 but the passion was there since childhood. I loved to write so I combined my love to write and the passion towards cars into one and then "Reporter Saab" was born. Today, I cannot think of my day's schedule without a considerable amount of time devotion to cars/bikes. My fiancee, my father, my mom complain too much about my involvement in cars and the related stuff but once you get in to the shoes of a automobile enthusiast or a automobile journalist nothing else matters. The exhaust note of a V8 would sound like music in comparison to the constant blabbering/snoring of your girlfriend!

But just like a coin, there is another side to automotive journalism as well. Journalism in general makes you go in depth and pick out the finer points and more importantly the imperfections. So same way it is with the Automotive Journalism, you need to be frank and precise about the finer points and the imperfections of a car or bike. You have to be un-biased to the core and say what's true. You are not obliged to make each one happy at all times. Constructive Criticism is always welcome. However, till the time these practices are followed when writing about cars and bikes it is ok but never carry the badge of being an intelligent and well-read automotive enthusiast to your home. Whether its T.A.I or any other forum, the core team will not protect you from the slippers of your girlfriend or the belan of your wife if you ever try to bring out the finer points or their imperfections to light! The moment you try to nit pick the qualities of your wife or girlfriend or rather I should say in automotive language, "Do a comparative review" between your wife/girlfriend and that of your neighbor's based on looks, dimensions, cooking abilities, and small but significant aspects then GOD help you!! Let me tell you, life of an un-married automotive journalist is much more exciting than that of a married one!! #Bachelors-Rule!!

Now coming to the commitment part, every job needs commitment and so does this. If you are committed to it then the sky is the limit to excel and explore. Fulfilling a commitment as a automobile enthusiast/journalist is much more rewarding and easy than fulfilling the commitment made to your girlfriend or wife simply because demands of cars/bike are more rational than those made by our girls/wives. I am a live example, when ever I am covering a launch/event or at a meeting with any car dealer or writing a review, I am totally committed towards it and I can forgo the calls, sms, whatsapp et al of my dad and fiance. But yes if mom calls then I give her full attention. #Loveyou Maa! The life as an automotive journalist has been so far really interesting for me and I gained a lot of knowledge and all of this has been and will always be shared here with you all on The Automotive India. I shall keep updating about my future experiences on this thread and shall make it an interesting read!!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Keep driving forward. Wishing you success in your career. One of our staffers who cover auto recently bought Brio despite him bad mouthing the car in the past :-)

I do have a query. Most of the video reviews that I see on YouTube of 'mainstream' press that covers auto are quite bland. They all seem to use the same language while reviewing vehicles. Quite often it's easy to see they are simply talking fluff. Not that every one of them looks fake. There are good ones too such as yourself. Would be nice if you could explain the nuts and bolts that go behind reviews these days especially the video ones. Is there such a thing as being blacklisted by auto makers if an auto journo gave bad press to their product? Cheers.

Ok Friends, So after searching 21 pages of this section and the various other sections, I am penning down my journey of living my passion for cars in specific and all things automotive in general. I today feel that I should write about "How's Life as an Automotive Journalist?". Automotive Journalism is as interesting and a responsible job just like any other profession but the thing that sets it apart is the tremendous amount of passion that keeps all the cylinders fired! A person might find a regular job dis-interesting but the field of automotive journalism is full of new things and by new things I mean, rapid changes in the automotive sector both national and international. Every morning, when you may venture on the road, that spark in your eyes on seeing a Rolls Royce or a Mustang or a S-Class is worth millions even in comparison to seeing a blue-eyed girl! This is just a simple description about how a passionate hobby can make you explore new dimensions of the versatile field of automobiles. The journey of becoming an automotive journalist begins from first being a hardcore automotive enthusiast and requires lot of passion, devotion and like any other field, knowledge. Some are born automotive lovers and some cultivate this passion over a period of time. I belong to the former category. Ever since I was born and began to speak and go to school, my father knew someday I'll make him proud. But till this day his dream remains unfulfilled[lol]. In specific Indian fathers expect too much!!

Living my passion for cars at 29 years is to me the best thing and a humble, friendly and informative platform like TAI has helped me to live my life as an Automotive Journalist to the MAX. Only a few people can genuinely pick out a true blue automotive enthusiast and I am fortunate to have been picked out. Coming back, Automotive Journalism unlike other regular jobs makes you travel to new locations, meet new people, you get to know about the automotive brands in detail and your profile does not make you stick to one particular car or bike. You can review, drive, explore any car or bike to the core and give your creative inputs without any fear of being criticized. I was not into field of automobiles until 2009 but the passion was there since childhood. I loved to write so I combined my love to write and the passion towards cars into one and then "Reporter Saab" was born. Today, I cannot think of my day's schedule without a considerable amount of time devotion to cars/bikes. My fiancee, my father, my mom complain too much about my involvement in cars and the related stuff but once you get in to the shoes of a automobile enthusiast or a automobile journalist nothing else matters. The exhaust note of a V8 would sound like music in comparison to the constant blabbering/snoring of your girlfriend!

But just like a coin, there is another side to automotive journalism as well. Journalism in general makes you go in depth and pick out the finer points and more importantly the imperfections. So same way it is with the Automotive Journalism, you need to be frank and precise about the finer points and the imperfections of a car or bike. You have to be un-biased to the core and say what's true. You are not obliged to make each one happy at all times. Constructive Criticism is always welcome. However, till the time these practices are followed when writing about cars and bikes it is ok but never carry the badge of being an intelligent and well-read automotive enthusiast to your home. Whether its T.A.I or any other forum, the core team will not protect you from the slippers of your girlfriend or the belan of your wife if you ever try to bring out the finer points or their imperfections to light! The moment you try to nit pick the qualities of your wife or girlfriend or rather I should say in automotive language, "Do a comparative review" between your wife/girlfriend and that of your neighbor's based on looks, dimensions, cooking abilities, and small but significant aspects then GOD help you!! Let me tell you, life of an un-married automotive journalist is much more exciting than that of a married one!! #Bachelors-Rule!!

Now coming to the commitment part, every job needs commitment and so does this. If you are committed to it then the sky is the limit to excel and explore. Fulfilling a commitment as a automobile enthusiast/journalist is much more rewarding and easy than fulfilling the commitment made to your girlfriend or wife simply because demands of cars/bike are more rational than those made by our girls/wives. I am a live example, when ever I am covering a launch/event or at a meeting with any car dealer or writing a review, I am totally committed towards it and I can forgo the calls, sms, whatsapp et al of my dad and fiance. But yes if mom calls then I give her full attention. #Loveyou Maa! The life as an automotive journalist has been so far really interesting for me and I gained a lot of knowledge and all of this has been and will always be shared here with you all on The Automotive India. I shall keep updating about my future experiences on this thread and shall make it an interesting read!!

Regards

Akash
Hi Akash, (Reporter Saab) Good Morning, I got up early (aaj chutti hai yahan yaar), saw your heart rendering thread, took a bow and your commitment to all things TAI.

Let me confide, have been an auto buff ever since I remember, learnt driving from seeing my dad @10, in an Ambassador, sitting next to my dad and stearing the wheel, and when my feet started reaching the pedals, he used to let me drive on a lonely stretch on BHS road in Mahanagar, Lucknow, and god forbid if I started with a jhatka (all amby & fiats would do the jhatka), it was a fine art to start without a jhatka, I used to get a teep on my head whenever the jhatka happended.

I will never miss a thread penned by you especially (silently even if I did not comment), (like in my teen we would never miss an article by Dilip Bam, Srinivasan Krishnan (BS Motoring), GTO (Team-Bhp), and Hormad Sorabji (ACI), to name a few.

My regard & respect to your parents & fiance, for egging you, to do all the good work for us.

Regards, and God Bless

Vinod

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Keep driving forward. Wishing you success in your career.
[cheers]Thanks!!

I do have a query. Most of the video reviews that I see on YouTube of 'mainstream' press that covers auto are quite bland. They all seem to use the same language while reviewing vehicles. Quite often it's easy to see they are simply talking fluff. Not that every one of them looks fake. There are good ones too such as yourself. Would be nice if you could explain the nuts and bolts that go behind reviews these days especially the video ones. Is there such a thing as being blacklisted by auto makers if an auto journo gave bad press to their product?
To be honest, apart from mainstream auto-journalists, all the others who review cars as a video review are indeed much 'influenced' by these veterans. Language serves as the base of preparing a review. So, prior to making a video review, they go thru numerous other video reviews and take note of all aspects and accordingly prepare their own. Other than the actual cars/bike bloggers, the creative quotient of others about cars in specific is questionable. As I have attended number of events/launches over the year i.e from 2014-till now I have seen all sorts of journalists, from the veterans to newbie to wannabes and honestly, upon interacting with the wannabes, I felt like why don't they accept that they need to learn before making claims. Interaction with the Veterans and newbies has always been a gainful experience. About myself, I have a long way to go with The Automotive India and someday, you all will see me making a video review of a car with either Vibhor or any of our moderator or anyone of you with me. I am just like a normal guy who loves cars/bikes and likes to learn about them.

Mr.Akash What's the Qualification needed to become part of TAI main Panel.
Firstly, You don't have to submit a CV or pass a written entrance test![:D]. The main "Qualification" to enter main panel is the constructive contribution to the community and following of the protocols laid by the Core Team.

Hi Akash, (Reporter Saab) Good Morning, I got up early (aaj chutti hai yahan yaar), saw your heart rendering thread, took a bow and your commitment to all things TAI.
Sir Ram Ram!! Enjoy your weekend.

I will never miss a thread penned by you especially (silently even if I did not comment), (like in my teen we would never miss an article by Dilip Bam, ..........Hormad Sorabji (ACI), to name a few.
Vinod Ji, It is your immense respect for my passion which made you write here. I am humbled. My name being mentioned along with some of the veterans is indeed a big compliment and I assure you and other here on our forum, I'll keep bringing on many more good articles and info about automobiles in future. And I wish, TAI shall always be by my side in my efforts.

My regard & respect to your parents & fiance, for egging you, to do all the good work for us.
Thanks Sir, shall keep doing it to best of my abilities and someday shall make my dad in specific proud!!

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6

Akash1886

Honoured Member
So buddies, the excitement of clicking selfies next to the beautiful models finally ends today, the excitement of seeing some of the best models ends today. In short, Auto Expo-2016 Ends Today! I had quite an interesting experience all through out this expo. The 1st time when I attended it on the 05th, I realized this time that the selfie culture has more followers than any of the car brands. Visitors there were more inclined for selfies with the standing beauties than the parked ones. So much so that even before we entered the display floor, from the ropes itself, they tried clicking selfies as if never in life they'll ever see them back[lol].

On 05th of Feb, I had the walk of my life. After being dropped at entry point, I walked down 2 kms to the entry gate. I did not take those shuttle since they all were jam packed. Moreover, pick-pocketing was rampant there inspite of all measures. Luckily, I was spared. Upon entering the venue, the marathon began! I have not run/walked so much with my fiance Pallavi as much as I had to walk from one pavilion to another. I would say that our Delhi Metro Crowd and Mumbai's local train crowd is far more tolerant than the crowd I saw in the expo. Someone's phone fell, someone himself fell, someone's girlfriend slipped, someone's wife shouted on her husband and above all this, there was music and performances going on. Finally, I managed to click the beauties (parked ones). 3 times my feet was pressed by some or the other visitor simply because he/she had to move ahead of the line. I survived. Then in that time, Paa is calling, Pallavi is texting, I was like "Utha le re baba, utha le". I replied to Pallavi later upon coming out of the hall. To which she said, "Kisko leke gaya tha tu Expo Mein?" (Whom did you take to the expo) "Itna time kyu laga tuhje?"(Why it took you so much time?). I told her patiently I took no one with me except the OLA Cab to the Expo. Till date she is upset as I could not speak to her. I tell you, having a girl in your life is more a matter of tension than having a high maintenance car!

After finishing my 05th Coverage, I walked back again 2 kms to the pick up point and called my driver. My legs and feet were aching as if I am beaten by Pallavi with belan. I took off my shoes in the car as my legs were in real bad shape and upon reaching home, had to sit with my feet immersed in warm water and salt to cure the pain. But, honestly, that pain was nothing in front of the fact that I was able to cover the 4-wheeler section of the Expo on that day to the max. In the crowd of 80K+ visitors, I managed 420 Pics. I was happy for the fact that in 4 hours I could cover the pavilions. It took me about 36-38 hours to publish the coverage of 4-wheeler.

Again, while taking bath on 07th morning, I realized, the coverage could be made even better and as it is I have to try for 2-wheeler coverage as well since me and Vibhor spoke about it too. So, I shared the noble thought of re-visiting the expo on the 08th Feb with dad. He was like[roll] as if I have asked him to share the property will with me. So we both went to Expo mart again and bought the ticket for 08th. Of-course, he paid. He could not say no since I can blackmail him with mom's name.

So 08th again I went to cover the 2-wheeler section. Mind you, 2-wheeler section looked much more sane and organized. Finished the clicking and ventured again in 4-wheeler pavilion. To my surprise, the most crowded pavilion was that of Audi and BMW and by crowd I mean, there was a hell long visitors line to enter their pavilions. Audi showed a concept car which was a big attraction but most of the visitors took selfies of the other beauties. I was like, take pics of something unique rather than clicking the regular ones. Yet to each his own. On a general entry timing, it was almost impossible to capture pics but again I managed around 190 odd pics. So all in all, in the end, I felt convinced that my buddies here on TAI will be pacified with the coverage. I was happy for the fact that I did not let down the trust, faith and support of my team here and I would like to say here, auto-expo of any year is always an interesting experience. Looking forward to the 2018 one to be even better with more beauties and much more exhaustive coverage on TAI. I would like to thank you all for motivating me and feel proud for the entire team of Tai-gers for their contribution with updates.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
So buddies, the excitement of clicking selfies next to the beautiful models finally ends today, the excitement of seeing some of the best models ends today. In short, Auto Expo-2016 Ends Today! I had quite an interesting experience all through out this expo. The 1st time when I attended it on the 05th, I realized this time that the selfie culture has more followers than any of the car brands. Visitors there were more inclined for selfies with the standing beauties than the parked ones. So much so that even before we entered the display floor, from the ropes itself, they tried clicking selfies as if never in life they'll ever see them back[lol].

On 05th of Feb, I had the walk of my life. After being dropped at entry point, I walked down 2 kms to the entry gate. I did not take those shuttle since they all were jam packed. Moreover, pick-pocketing was rampant there inspite of all measures. Luckily, I was spared. Upon entering the venue, the marathon began! I have not run/walked so much with my fiance Pallavi as much as I had to walk from one pavilion to another. I would say that our Delhi Metro Crowd and Mumbai's local train crowd is far more tolerant than the crowd I saw in the expo. Someone's phone fell, someone himself fell, someone's girlfriend slipped, someone's wife shouted on her husband and above all this, there was music and performances going on. Finally, I managed to click the beauties (parked ones). 3 times my feet was pressed by some or the other visitor simply because he/she had to move ahead of the line. I survived. Then in that time, Paa is calling, Pallavi is texting, I was like "Utha le re baba, utha le". I replied to Pallavi later upon coming out of the hall. To which she said, "Kisko leke gaya tha tu Expo Mein?" (Whom did you take to the expo) "Itna time kyu laga tuhje?"(Why it took you so much time?). I told her patiently I took no one with me except the OLA Cab to the Expo. Till date she is upset as I could not speak to her. I tell you, having a girl in your life is more a matter of tension than having a high maintenance car!

After finishing my 05th Coverage, I walked back again 2 kms to the pick up point and called my driver. My legs and feet were aching as if I am beaten by Pallavi with belan. I took off my shoes in the car as my legs were in real bad shape and upon reaching home, had to sit with my feet immersed in warm water and salt to cure the pain. But, honestly, that pain was nothing in front of the fact that I was able to cover the 4-wheeler section of the Expo on that day to the max. In the crowd of 80K+ visitors, I managed 420 Pics. I was happy for the fact that in 4 hours I could cover the pavilions. It took me about 36-38 hours to publish the coverage of 4-wheeler.

Again, while taking bath on 07th morning, I realized, the coverage could be made even better and as it is I have to try for 2-wheeler coverage as well since me and Vibhor spoke about it too. So, I shared the noble thought of re-visiting the expo on the 08th Feb with dad. He was like[roll] as if I have asked him to share the property will with me. So we both went to Expo mart again and bought the ticket for 08th. Of-course, he paid. He could not say no since I can blackmail him with mom's name.

So 08th again I went to cover the 2-wheeler section. Mind you, 2-wheeler section looked much more sane and organized. Finished the clicking and ventured again in 4-wheeler pavilion. To my surprise, the most crowded pavilion was that of Audi and BMW and by crowd I mean, there was a hell long visitors line to enter their pavilions. Audi showed a concept car which was a big attraction but most of the visitors took selfies of the other beauties. I was like, take pics of something unique rather than clicking the regular ones. Yet to each his own. On a general entry timing, it was almost impossible to capture pics but again I managed around 190 odd pics. So all in all, in the end, I felt convinced that my buddies here on TAI will be pacified with the coverage. I was happy for the fact that I did not let down the trust, faith and support of my team here and I would like to say here, auto-expo of any year is always an interesting experience. Looking forward to the 2018 one to be even better with more beauties and much more exhaustive coverage on TAI. I would like to thank you all for motivating me and feel proud for the entire team of Tai-gers for their contribution with updates.

Regards

Akash
Welcome to the Belan Club.

Thanks @Akash once again for all the meticulous effort and the buggery you had to endure to bring us the Auto Expo '16 to our desktop & phones, super.

@Pallavi mam, rehene do bechare ko, he did this all for a good cause..[:D] us, on a side note Akash angoothi toh nahi wapas ki na, so far so good.

Regards

Vinod

Thread Starter #8

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Welcome to the Belan Club.
Sir someday or the other every man enters here.[:D]

Thanks @Akash once again for all the meticulous effort and the buggery you had to endure to bring us the Auto Expo '16 to our desktop & phones, super.
Sir my pleasure. I also lived my passion for automobiles in this way! I hope the coverage was as per expectation. Next time it would be even better and much more exhaustive surely.

on a side note Akash angoothi toh nahi wapas ki na, so far so good.
Sir, since 2012 i.e one year after we met, I have been given back the ring on 22 occasions till 2015. The FY-2016 account of ring-returning hasn't begun yet[lol] but you never know!

Regards

Akash

More interesting part was the 'belan club'; I am eagerly waiting for the time when reporter saab will be joined by his 'mem saab'; I can bet that it will be interesting (For us) to know what will be further.

@Akash:
Sirji life as an automotive reporter is really different from anything else. It requires you to give your time and skill at its max. Attention to detail is a must and you have to be well versed with what you do, write and even think of anything.

One can't simply cover a simple aspect all alone; you need to cover the entire ocean and then write about the bucket. Only enthusiasm is what keeps the automotive journos running else the work is really tough to be carried out. You can't simply open MS word and start writing about a car, it's actually more than 10 times of what we write is what we study, analyze, discuss with gurus, check, cross check, cross check again and then write a paragraph. Right?

What's even tougher? Well; keeping people interested. A new launch, a new event or anything and you have to be really quick and precise. The forum members and readers aren't interested in waiting and they are up for grabs for anything available as soon as possible anywhere on the web. You have to be on the right time - always.

Attention to detail is a very important part of being an automotive journo. There is a difference between zippy and torquey after all; at least for us. As an automotive journo one has to be bluntly true and need to has an eye for detail. Every minor thing has to be noticed and presented to the people awaiting to know even more than you yourself do as a journo.

Ehh... although I seldom get in for the job but I just love it whenever I get to to it. It's always a competition with oneself - a challenge that this time it has to be better than what it was before.

OT: Coming to partner, well my girl is a different breed I must say. All I need to tell her is that I am busy - that's it; no questions, no doubts; only messages will come if its something important or worth sharing. I must accept that I am lucky enough to have her with me and proudly I can declare that in last three years we never had been into a 'no-talk-session'; only arguments - nothing else.

BTW paid an unplanned visit to the expo, clicked very few pics; here is one - the DSK Benelli is the motorcycle whose light you see here:
benelli.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

Akash1886

Honoured Member
More interesting part was the 'belan club'; I am eagerly waiting for the time when reporter saab will be joined by his 'mem saab'; I can bet that it will be interesting (For us) to know what will be further.
You'll be updated duly.

Sirji life as an automotive reporter is really different from anything else. It requires you to give your time and skill at its max. Attention to detail is a must and you have to be well versed with what you do, write and even think of anything.
Indeed, With all of the above, the foremost thing needed to excel in it is the passion for it and the desire to learn.

One can't simply cover a simple aspect all alone; you need to cover the entire ocean and then write about the bucket. Only enthusiasm is what keeps the automotive journos running else the work is really tough to be carried out. You can't simply open MS word and start writing about a car, it's actually more than 10 times of what we write is what we study, analyze, discuss with gurus, check, cross check, cross check again and then write a paragraph. Right?
Yes, before penning down you should know what you plan to write. Observations need to be accurate and a worthy second opinion always helps in improving your knowledge about automobiles. Knowing a car externally is a easy thing, but to know what's in it is an entirely different thing.

What's even tougher? Well; keeping people interested. A new launch, a new event or anything and you have to be really quick and precise. The forum members and readers aren't interested in waiting and they are up for grabs for anything available as soon as possible anywhere on the web. You have to be on the right time - always.
Absolutely, there is a timeline which needs to be adhered. Every review has a recall time. I have come across many forums who don't have reviews of many mass-market cars till now but luckily TAI has it. One should keep looking forward for new and exciting stuff so that the audience/reader's engagement is at max always.

Attention to detail is a very important part of being an automotive journo. There is a difference between zippy and torquey after all; at least for us. As an automotive journo one has to be bluntly true and need to has an eye for detail. Every minor thing has to be noticed and presented to the people awaiting to know even more than you yourself do as a journo.
One has to challenge his/her own knowledge to provide the minutest of the details.

It's always a competition with oneself - a challenge that this time it has to be better than what it was before.
True, because one can't sit back on past accolades forever. Always work towards getting better and better in your field.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #11

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hmmm..So its been long as I wrote here. Well, over the year my passion for cars made me push my limits. Both in terms of knowledge and even physically too. Lost weight by clicking the cars from all possible angles and most importantly the underbody. Automotive Journalism is one job which definitely helps you in gaining scientific knowledge about various aspects of a car even though you may have Commerce or Humanities background back in School or College.

After covering the biggest automotive event of 2016, the Auto Expo, a lot of things changed in my life which I actually tried getting over with help of my hobby for writing and my passion for cars. The moment those thoughts resurfaced in my mind, suddenly, an invite for launch or a review came in and all my thoughts began to channelize in making my reviews and launch coverage better than before. After breaking up, the only thing that kept me going on and on was my love for cars and bikes and yes today at 12am I am still awake and writing here of how this automotive journalism completed me and supported me when I needed someone to be by my side.

Every job needs your focus and proper devotion and even this field of automotive journalism isn't any different. After the auto expo, I have been to number of launches and the only thing which I had in mind was that my 21K+ number of buddies are waiting to see the live coverage on our forum and so it was my duty as a responsible member of TAI to ensure that I shall give you all my best and something which you all shall definitely like and love to see and read.

Coming to the review part, In this year I have done number of reviews and honestly one thing that I included in my reviews and launch coverage was the video footage and the reason for it was simple i.e not every reader or member has the time to watch the live feed or be part of the launch event so in my small way I tried sharing those beautiful moments and some important one through my videos. You won't believe, a hilarious incident happened when I covered the Ford Mustang. I was trying to make the exhaust video of Mustang and when the marshal pressed the accelerator small bit of smoke hit me on my face[lol]. Though I still remained there but came back home and washed my face (thankfully I wasn't looking like a cartoon). But that's how it all is, fun, enjoyment, excitement and learning.

Also, as an automotive journalist or even as an enthusiast I have come across many (including a recent one) bloggers who have utter disrespect for others in the field. Some of them don't believe that others can be as much and at times even more informed than them. One such incident happened at a launch recently in Mumbai. That way of conducting one's self speaks tons about how groomed are you. One can be a dictionary or encyclopedia of knowledge but that does not mean one will also know how to conduct and communicate with others. So, as a automotive journalist, control of language, conduct in public and even otherwise is extremely important and one should have patience and remain as calm as possible. Sometimes, you need to give respect to those who aren't even worthy of it not because to remind them of their character but to let them see your character.

Another thing that I observed was group-ism. Yes, you'll be shocked but that's indeed there. Selfishness and Group-ism even in a sane and exciting field of automotive journalism is present in abundance. I wish that none of you may ever have to experience it. It's damn ugly! Some enthusiastic car journos try to throw their weight around and also show that since they belong from a particular city hence they enjoy a upper-hand in media which is again a very dastardly feel to say the least. And the last thing that I never like is too much of attention seeking by these car journos. If a celeb is launching a car or bike why the hell do they try to get close or bring up a insane question is something that I fail to understand. So, the best way I planned out was to instead devote as much time to the car/bike rather than listening to the insane talks of these wannabes. It at times gets tough but I enjoy being with my subject i.e the car or bike and I explore the vehicle as much as possible during the launch and bring to you all the best possible coverage.

Coming to my in-forum conversations with you all. Firstly, I enjoy every bit of it. Even in the most adverse scene I try making my point in the most affable and simple manner so that it doesn't get boring. I never shy away from learning because neither there is any age for it nor there is any limit for it. However, the day someone feels that he/she is perfect and has all the knowledge, that very day is the end of that person virtually. Every person here, be it @AHC, @Type R, @ Nanofreak, @ Vipul @ Vibhor and others, I everyday want to and get to learn something new from you all. I am really thankful to each one of you who have shared your knowledge with me and I hope from my small contributions you all too have benefited to some extent.

Lastly, I am open to guide, to groom, to support, to accompany any TAI member who wants my suggestion in respect to cars, launches and events. It will be my utmost pleasure![:)] Also, I am these days a bit low on humor and marriage jokes but that's just a passing phase. Will bounce back on this front too soon! Till Then, Enjoy!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Top Bottom