What Mattress To Buy?

which mattress are prefereble

• Coir based (with foam covering)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Foam based (compressed foam, memory foam)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Spring based (with foam covering)

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Forget mattress go for conventional cotton beds.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for shopping a kingsize mattress. All these years we have been using the cotton filled beds then some time back when we wanted new bedding (Gaddi) i opted for the cheap variety (they used the black cotton like material but not cotton which generally in multitude shades of white from pure white to creame, yellow)

These were 4 inch thick and were 4 in numbers (3 feet by 6.5 feet) and all of it costed me around 4K. This was about 3 years ago.

Fast forward to 2015 and we purchased new bed. Now after lots of discussion we have now come to a conclusion to go up one level and got a for the more trendy "Mattresses".

I went to the malls and saw the prices ranging from 15K to 1L for mattress. This kind of gave me a shock of life.

Later on when I came to my senses and made up my mind for the expense, I have set some constraints.
1. Price not more than 20K.
2. Should be firm and not like we sink into the bed. So orthopedic/spine support etc will apply.
3. Since I am new to this mattress thingy, I think it will be safe for me to go with the brand. considering the replacement warranty being specified.

Now from whatever research I did, I learnt that there are coir and foam mattresses and combination of both coir and foam. Spring ones are too soft and not as per my requirement. we want firm mattresses

Which one is good/preferable? Coir or Foam?
I have personally like the Kurlon Convineo cost around 18K post discounts.

If you have any suggestions please give me.

Last edited:
I would suggest Spring based. Recently bought "Peps Restonic 6 inch thick spring based" mattress. It comes with 10 year warranty, IIRC.

It is SOFT
It is STIFF
It is COMFY
It is a PLEASURE to rest a tired body.
All my earlier negative opinions about Spring Mattresses have been proven WRONG. My God, why didn't I buy it earlier.

GO for it.

Thread Starter #3
I forgot to update this thread.

I purchased the kurlon Convineo mattress which is foam based matterss with memory foam and compressed foam.

When we used the side with memory foam it was too soft for our liking I was like Why the heck did i not go for coir based one. Then we reversed it to have a more firmer side up and we like that. So it was a nice buy at the end of the day.

Your choice is equally good.

I realize I tested only the memory foam side, felt it to be gentle and went for the Spring.

Have lots of Comfortable Sleep.

Hi, just to restart this thread after almost 3 years of Slumber.
Disclaimer: I am into sales of very high-end luxury mattresses from Italy, viz. Magniflex and Tonino Lamborghini. I have also worked with Serta brand too in India.
So I will not recommend any product/brand/model, but I can definitely help in making the right decision, hence, if you need any kinds of clarification in terms of jargon, technical specifications, usage, reliability, you can let me know. There's lots of myths about mattresses, like Foam generates heat, re-bonded foam is good for back, memory foam is the solution for all back ailments, springs are bad for back etc. I will try to answer them if required.
Also, if you have any doubts regarding Sleep and its benefits, I can help.
Thanks.

Hi, back pains mostly in the morning is a result of lack of support in the mattress i.e. it's a bit soft, you should go in for a firmer mattress, for this you need to test the mattress by lying on it ( not pressing it by hand on a small sample) There are very many options, depends on your budget too. Avoid re-bonded foams at all costs (its made out of scrap and glued together using low quality adhesives). You can try bonnel spring with memory foam, even firm foam mattress, latex is also good ( if budget permits).

Let me know if you have any further doubts on this subject.

Thread Starter #8
So an update, seems to be holding up really well after 3 years of usage, 3 shiftings, it has held very well. feels like new.

BHVM, if you feel back pain, either you have put on lot of weight recently or your sleeping on too soft bed. so basically when matters is soft, when you sleep flat face up, the middle portion goes down and head and legs go up due to weight like a bow. Then that causes pain in the back,try something firm.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Last week I tried about 10 days of experiment. Went with almost nil mattress (2 inch thick, For namesake) which made the bed quite hard & firm as everyone suggested. The pains worsened and I was almost cringing out of bed. Guess it's something else and I need a deeper study.

Last week I tried about 10 days of experiment. Went with almost nil mattress (2 inch thick, For namesake) which made the bed quite hard & firm as everyone suggested. The pains worsened and I was almost cringing out of bed. Guess it's something else and I need a deeper study.
No, no bed is the worst situation. Try a firm mattress. Mattress is a combination of Support and comfort. Comfort puts you to sleep and support let's your body relax. Let me know your body weight. Also, where do you stay? I can help you out in that city.

IMHO in India - having used many options - the traditional cotton gaddi with good/best quality white cotton and done properly square in box type tightly stitched over the entire surface with at least 40kg stuffing for a single piece 5ft x6 ft size is still an unbeatable option - old is gold!. of course suits some & not some others. only challenge is it is too heavy and cannot be rolled so transportation is bit of pain but even coir/foam/springs cannot be rolled but those could be lighter! & backaches could be due to numerous reasons not just the mattress being used.

IMHO in India - having used many options - the traditional cotton gaddi with good/best quality white cotton and done properly square in box type tightly stitched over the entire surface with at least 40kg stuffing for a single piece 5ft x6 ft size is still an unbeatable option - old is gold!. of course suits some & not some others. only challenge is it is too heavy and cannot be rolled so transportation is bit of pain but even coir/foam/springs cannot be rolled but those could be lighter! & backaches could be due to numerous reasons not just the mattress being used.
They are good for a few months at best, as cotton is organic material it reacts with the body fluid that you secrete every night ( an adult secretes about 1/2 ltr of fluids every night, like sweat, tears, mucous, urine, saliva etc) these when mixed with cotton forms lumps which will cause back issues due to irregular stuffing. Also, these become breeding ground for all the mites, ticks, bugs etc. Foam, coir don't react so, hence are safer and give better support, cushion and longevity consistently.
Don't mess with sleep, it only spoils your health. All your diet, exercise and proper lifestyle is incomplete without a good night's sleep.
Your car might need service every 10-15k kms, but your body needs it every night, the sleep is the period that your body gets serviced. It's almost an hour worth ppt I do for our dealers, influences. These are scientific studies, not some marketing of useless stuff.

Hi all,

Little off topic, but yes it's about the quality of sleep.

Few months back I got to join for "Inner Engineering" course offered by sadhguru. It's a 7 days course

Practising the 21mins of "Shambavi Mahamudra" (that's what they teach in that course and it's a set of few yogasana and breathing practices) on a daily basis, my body is very much restful now. Generally I need 7 and above hours of sleep. Now my sleep quota reduced to 5-7 hours. And that too with full of energy. There are days where I get to sleep only for 3 hours and still felt very energetic to make the early morning long drives with no effort.

Nap feels very effective, when there are emergency situation where you dont had any sleep or very little sleep. A 20mins nap makes the body feel really energetic. Generally naps were kind of impossible for me, if I miss my regular night sleep for some events or trips and get to sleep in the day time instead of a "nap" it will continue for hours and still feel tired and headache. But now it's like plugging your phone to a fast charger. Seriously. You could re energize whenever you feel like without a lengthy 8hrs of sleep.
See 8hours of sleep meaning it's 1/3rd of a day.
That is in a year we get to sleep for 4month time. Our former generations are much of efficient, they eat much lesser and does a lot of physical activities and still require much lesser sleep. We are just the opposite right.

So we must realise this, As years passes we have much more fuel efficient and reliable vehicles but our very own body is getting less and less efficient and less reliable. Only external well-being is happening here, internal well being is going down.

Whats really amazing is the time you go into deep sleep. Within a couple of mins you will go into very deep sleep and that's what help you to regain your energy back in a short time.

Now my compulsive nature to the unhealthy food has reduced a lot. ND I could really feel how efficient is body now. I did this 7 days course in 2018 Sept. I feel really great.

Now about the bed. For the last two weeks, I removed the bed from the cot and spreaded with a 3 layers of bed sheet out of which one is very very thick. Initial days was little bit tough. But I could really feel my shoulder and muscles around the spine are getting stronger. Now i feel very less body fatigue in my day to day life. Planning to continue this for a while. No I'm not saying you to avoid the bed, but to get you an idea that, even on the hard surface im getting a very good rest. It's bcz of the improvement in my health.

Sorry for going extremely off the topic.[embarass]

Regards.,
Kiran.

Now about the bed. For the last two weeks, I removed the bed from the cot and spreaded with a 3 layers of bed sheet out of which one is very very thick. Initial days was little bit tough. But I could really feel my shoulder and muscles around the spine are getting stronger. Now i feel very less body fatigue in my day to day life. Planning to continue this for a while. No I'm not saying you to avoid the bed, but to get you an idea that, even on the hard surface im getting a very good rest. It's bcz of the improvement in my health.
It feels, you are energetic, but this will have extreme stress on the spine, this notion that hard work relaxes the muscles is wrong. The spine needs the right alignment support, in the shape of the spine(like a spoon) it has heavy portions like shoulder and hips, but low support area like lower back. High pressure on the spine leads to it shifting its alignment, which will lead to back issues at late ages.
Please know that entering deep sleep for few minutes doesn't lead to a day full of energy, you need at least an hour of deep sleep as it's in this period that all your physical restoration of the body (that's like all your growth, healing, excretion of toxins) happens, there's also 1 more important stage of sleep called REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement), in this stage you tend to see dreams, in this stage the mental restoration takes place, your cognitive skills get enhanced. You brain needs this REM sleep in good quantity for your brain to work at it's optimal level.

Please note, few minutes of each of the stages isn't enough, quality and quantity of sleep are equally important.

using multiple options for few years now but still mostly prefer cotton call me old fashioned [:)], also with no back problems, yeah its slightly more maintenance but all issues mentioned can be addressed by certain do's and don'ts. Room needs good sunlight during day to avoid the bugs & pests. yes it has to be kept away from any liquids surely. If taken good care you can easily use for few years without any issues.

About irregular stuffing again this is where the quality and skill of the maker comes in if it is stitched throughout the surface properly like the url below and the wooden platform surface is good then cotton will rarely shift. Trick is to have more cotton stuffing and have it stitched tightly. Should not be possible to roll.

if one regularly uses the rolling type cotton bedding for daily use they will definitely run into back issues and those are just meant for temporary use or as extra additional pieces in cases of emergency.

https://4.imimg.com/data4/FY/HE/IMO...ton-bed-in-trichy-tiruchirappalli-500x500.jpg

They are good for a few months at best, as cotton is organic material it reacts with the body fluid that you secrete every night ( an adult secretes about 1/2 ltr of fluids every night, like sweat, tears, mucous, urine, saliva etc) these when mixed with cotton forms lumps which will cause back issues due to irregular stuffing. Also, these become breeding ground for all the mites, ticks, bugs etc. Foam, coir don't react so, hence are safer and give better support, cushion and longevity consistently.
Don't mess with sleep, it only spoils your health. All your diet, exercise and proper lifestyle is incomplete without a good night's sleep.
Your car might need service every 10-15k kms, but your body needs it every night, the sleep is the period that your body gets serviced. It's almost an hour worth ppt I do for our dealers, influences. These are scientific studies, not some marketing of useless stuff.

Last edited:

Top Bottom