No More "Maggi" Breaks While Driving on Highways

Thread Starter #1
with the clampdown on Maggi, we will have fewer "Maggi" breaks especially driving in the hills, where this quick snack is very popular.
going back to the oily humble samosa aur chai, any more options?
lets have your views on what you look for during your chai breaks while driving on highways.

regards

vinod

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: No more "Maggi" breaks, while driving on highways, what are the preferences with

Best thing is to carry pack of chips, half dozen diet coke cans, fruits. I would say if the drive is for 6 to 7 hours then carry poori and aloo with pickle. They are the best. Prefer if its home cooked.

Regards

Akash

Re: No more "Maggi" breaks, while driving on highways, what are the preferences with

Anybody tried lemon rice for long journey?

Lemon rice is a basic and simple one pot meal mainly prepared for outing in most of South Indian family which can last long for 2 ~ 3 days.

Its really sad to know maggi is getting banned for its harmful level of chemicals in it. Since a good number of consumers were kids.[cry]

On the Manali - Leh drive after crossing Rohtang pass I had only two options
a) Egg Bhurji ( half cooked due to high altitudes )
b) Maggi ( cooks quickly so available at all the places )

I wonder how I would survive for 3 days on my next trip

Not many long trips these days. But a couple of years ago, we used to bring combination of lemon-rice/puliogre/curd rice/tomato-rice/puthinarice with sides like homemade potato curry, potato chips, pickle. Some paper plates, paper cups, couple of 2 litre water bottles. For 6 passengers, it was more than enough. Good part was, my family prepare either at early morning or couple of hours before journey and it can last up to next day except tomato/curd rice. So if journey is anywhere between 6-24 hrs, I prefer this method.

But nowadays, my mom use this trick. We plan our travel at least a day before, so we know the best hotels en route. So we start at time in such a way, that we reach the hotel/location at lunch/dinner time.

All this talk of food is making me hungry! Especially the Aloo-puri and Pickle. Combine that with a thermos of hot tea and you've a perfect road trip! We used to use this (combined with small snacks of course) to sustain on 8 hour long trips to Mombasa!

Back home, I always stop at a Dhaba for fresh Pakora or Tandoori Roti!

Thread Starter #8
The greatness of our country is the diverse food habits pertaining to the region we belong to and or are travelling in, as I & my wife love travelling by car, at the slightest excuse we pack in some food bundle up the children in the car (when they were small), and drive off on the highway for a picnic.

For whatever reason you think Maggie is not safe, it is just a tiny part of the picture.
It was never safe. Even the food you cook at home won't be.
Because, it is never mentioned if it is natural or GMO food. GMO is a huge threat. You cannot grow natural crops as GMOs can contaminate other fields.
It is all business. They don't produce products such as Maggie because they love you.
You will know what I am talking about if you have heard of Monsanto.
Do your own research. Plenty of videos on YouTube as well.

I carry dark chocolates for a quick bite during the trips. It can keep both sleep and hunger away upto a limit. An alternative is peanut candy 'Chikki' (Fortunately available across all Indian states [:)]). Cola and chips can give a temporary relief till you find a place to eat on highways. But Maggi was the most popular food stuff among travelers, even other brands of instant noodles are hard to find in shops after the Maggi ban. Maggi, we all miss you, come back soon with some quality ingredients and enhanced taste [lol].

Bros, why are you so worried about maggi,? It's a brand name of Nestlé made noodles.
You can still eat 'Knorr 'brand noodles . Do carry it with you & get it cooked. Tomorrow,if you find high content of 'lead' in the Bisleri bottles, are you going stop drinking kinley, Aquafina? Or bottled mineral water all together?
And I hope mods close this thread now.

AFA GMO food is concerned, in the era of food security bill, it is difficult to manage without it as almost 67 cr people are dependent on the free food provided their in.

Last edited:
Down South, never ever we had or have Maggi sold in highway hotels or as a takeaway snack if you ask me. Better if you have some biscuits,chocolates and some less chips types.

Better to have sandwiches,Idlis,Dosas or Atta products especially when you are at driving seat.

Rice and Maida are the most food products which makes travellers to increase fatigue.

Frequent tea/coffee breaks with biscuits will make journey more pleasant IMO.

Well, I always avoid eating a lot while driving. As I feel drowsy with my stomach full !! .

Anyway, whenever I go for Long drives, I keep :

1. Couple of Water Bottles
2. Muffins / Cake slices
3. Biscuits
4. Red Bull
5. Juice packets
6. Sandwiches or Fruit Breads.
7. Fruits / Dry Fruits
8. Dark Chocolates

I ensure , that we make as less stops as possible for eating. This is what i've followed in my drives from Vadodara to Delhi (in 15hrs), Vadodara to Mumbai (6 Hrs), Vadodara to Gir (6 Hrs), Vadodara to Saputara ( 5 Hrs) , etc.

Top Bottom