Aero India 2015, Yelahanka

Thread Starter #1
I along with my family members attended the Aero India 2015, Airshow at Yelahanka Airforce Station, Bangalore.

It all happened with one thread which was going on in the automotive forums. I being an airplane buff, having seen the Hyderabad airshow was hell bent on seeing this one. It happened to be Asia's premier show, how could I have ever missed it. there were two tickets being offered, one for General Display area and other one was Business visitors. I after lots of thoughts opted for the Air Display viewing area tickets. ( I rued this decision later on).

We started from our home at 7.30 am on Saturday and started to get stuck in Traffic Jam right from golf club (near ITC windsor Hotel in Bangalore city limits itself) We were still a good 20Km from our destination. After a good 3.5 Hours we finally made it to the Yelahanka Station. We went to the gate 1. I thought ordeal was over, but there was a surprise waiting for us in store. We were supposed to go to Gate No 8 or 9. It was around 3-4KM walk. To add to our woes, we could see the fighters aircraft doing their display routines. So we were walking and looking in the skies to catch the glimpses of the aircrafts flying the air.

The arrangements were pathetic to say the least. Wish they had made proper arrangements with gate number mentioned in the ticket generated and put appropriate large hoarding near the specific gates. We then finally entered the premises to collect the passes, and to our surprise they were giving out instant passes at that very instant. So why did we book in advance, was the question that struck us?

There was sea of people already on the vast airfield. there were stalls, food court but were extremely expensive. the price was 3 times the MRP. But I guess we cannot but help it. The view area was just barren land with fence all around so that people could not roam into restricted area (mean for Security personal and higher ticket holders) We had no access to the display aircrafts either. There were some jets, fighter aircrafts, business jets but then we could see any of them.

But then at around 2.30 the airshow started it stared with a small biplane, doing some sommersaults, then came the choppers and then we saw the mighty Sukhois, our very own dart, the Tejas, and then we had Raffael jets performing stunts. There were Bretling walkers, and other stunts performed by various crews.

The show was total Paisa-wasool. but then I guess we would have been betteroff had we purchased the Business passes. Nuff said, now let the pictures do some talking.
airshow1.jpg

airshow2.jpg

airshow3.jpg

airshow4.jpg

airshow5.jpg

airshow6.jpg

airshow7.jpg

airshow8.jpg

airshow9.jpg

airshow11.jpg

Attachments

Awesome pictures mate. These are better than what I could see through my naked eye. Do you mind sharing the camera and the lens details.

We also went yesterday and here's my experience:
As we had to travel from Mysore, we initially had planned to leave by 7am but one of our friend who had seen the traffic last couple of days advised us to start early and be there by 9am. So we woke up by 4am and left home exactly at 5am as we had to enter city to collect the tickets from our friend before going to the air base. We had a business visitor pass - the entry gate and the parking lot along with the map was printed on the ticket.

By the time we reached the gate 5 parking lot, it was close to 9am. There was shuttle service running but we chose to walk as there was a long line for the shuttle. After walk of 1.25km, we reached gate 5. My son and I cleared the first security check point pretty quickly but had to wait 30min for my wife to clear hers. There were 2 more security check points we had to clear - don't know why those additional checks were for but better be safe than sorry.

We walked straight to the air show viewing area as the show was starting shortly. Needless to day, the whole area was jam packed. The show itself was fantastic but there were no announcements of any kind. We had no clue what we were watching (i.e what air craft, who's performing etc.) or what was coming next - just pathetic. This I felt was a big let down on the part of the organizers.

By 12:30 pm, we had enough - the sun was too hot and we were very hungry so we decided to leave the area to have lunch. We walked over to the food court and had quick lunch. Then we started going into each of the building to look at the exhibits. Apart from Boeing and Dassault exhibits, the rest were quite boring (IMO).

By 2:30 we were exhausted so we decided to leave as we had a long drive back. We wanted to take the shuttle to the parking lot so we stood in line for about 10 min - didn't see a single bus come by but the line itself was growing bigger and bigger. So we decided to walk to the parking lot even though we were dead tired. On the way we saw the reason why the shuttle was not running - the whole road (1.25 km) had turned into a parking lot with hardly any progress at all.

By the time we reached our car, all the exits from the parking lot were jammed - there were cars everywhere trying to merge into to exit lane and worst part was, there was no one to control the traffic. We waited patiently to merge into the exit lane but no one was willing to give way. You had to drive aggressively to get out or you stay put. Even that was not possible as the car behind would start honking. People were behaving like animals - made me wonder whether I was living in a civilized society or where.

In the the process of getting out, I came very close to dinging couple of cars but luckily got out unscathed. I saw lot of other vehicles that were not that lucky and felt sad for them. Even if they got hit, no one was getting out to assess the damage - people just accepted and moved on. I can go on ranting about the peoples behaviour but I will stop. Finally it took us close to 2 hours to reach airport road and from that point onwards the journey to Mysore was normal, we reached home by 8pm and man were we glad to to be back home. Henceforth, decided not to go to similar events on weekends especially Sundays.

Thread Starter #4
Awesome pictures mate. These are better than what I could see through my naked eye. Do you mind sharing the camera and the lens details.
I have Nikon D3100 and have a 55-300mm AF VR lens.
We also went yesterday and here's my experience:
I can go on ranting about the peoples behaviour but I will stop. Finally it took us close to 2 hours to reach airport road and from that point onwards the journey to Mysore was normal, we reached home by 8pm and man were we glad to to be back home. Henceforth, decided not to go to similar events on weekends especially Sundays.
Very well put.

Exactly, similar was our experience. The organisers did a very bad job of organising an event of such a scale. (Its advertised as Asia's Premier Show). Dont they know that India has a great and unruly population? Why didnt they put enough security, and police officials to mind the traffic? The diversions should have been made one way. Well dont want to rant about it. You dont clap with both hands. We the people are also very very indisciplined and take the first chance to break rules.

So for us, while our way out, it took us close to 3.5 hours to reach majestic by the AC shuttle. and then had snacks and 1.5 bottles of water each (yes 1.5 bottles of water to quench our thirsts)

Nice clicks Bro [cheers]

The arrangements were pathetic to say the least. Wish they had made proper arrangements with gate number mentioned in the ticket generated and put appropriate large hoarding near the specific gates. We then finally entered the premises to collect the passes, and to our surprise they were giving out instant passes at that very instant. So why did we book in advance, was the question that struck us?
I was there too on Saturday and yes, the arrangements were not good. However, can't blame them alone, as our well educated citizens don't care for anything. By the time I parked my car, and pull over the handbrake, 3 layers of cars parked behind mine and I the people vanished. There was no way I could take my car out, even incase of an emergency. I called those army fellas assisting parking to ask the same, he claims, what can I do and who listens to us? Good question! BTW, from morning 10 till evening 5, we were locked in the open land and hot sun as we can't get our cars out... We thought to leave by about 3ish, but no luck.

Food, yes again. It was a daylight robbery. Nothing was worth for the money you pay. A chocobar ice stick of MRP 15 is sold for 60! Yes, you hear it right.

The show was over all good and kids enjoyed it to an extent. Not pretty great though! A different experience all together.

Nice pictures [clap]

I have seen these type of planes only in Hollywood movies. But i have seen the helicopter's and small planes in my real life but never seen people getting off the plane in mid air.

And the first close up shots were nice than the second close up shots.

I have Nikon D3100 and have a 55-300mm AF VR lens.
Nice, thank you. I used to have Nikon N80 before the digital age but took a liking towards compact camera's since then so every time I buy new one, went for smaller and smaller as its so convenient to carry. Guess that's the trade off between quality and convenience[;)]

Excellent pictures buddy. I am an aircraft enthusiast as well. Sadly, I havent been to any shows except for a show here in West Milford, NJ, where i got to see just a couple of cessna propeller jets displayed their aerobatic skills.
Keep the pictures coming.

I have been to 4-5 air shows till now. Its usually best to go on business tickers in the Wednesday-Friday period (preferably going in the morning). It means lesser traffic and more time to explore.
Its a good opportunity to see various products/aircrafts on display and I enjoy going through the stalls. I hope it will be there in Yelahanka only next time and not in Goa as some rumours were going around this time!

Top Bottom