Building Construction Without Staircase

Thread Starter #1
Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it possible to construct a Building i.e. residential or commercial complex without Staircase ?. Is it feasible to built ?.

The people will always use Lifts / elevators instead of alternative of staircase.

i.e. The space occupied by the staircase will be replaced by additional Lifts / elevators.

What are the pros (advantages) and cons (disadvantages) if such a building model is constructed without staircase (if feasible) ?.

Examples : 10 floor commercial complex, 6 floor residential complex etc.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Re: Building construction without Staircase.

Staircases are provisional mandatory as the alternative for emergencie exists.
There are certain norms which makes it to provide that space for the staircases, size width and all depends on the project, area.
This is what the common i have heard from few friends who are into construction business.

Is it possible to construct a Building i.e. residential or commercial complex without Staircase ?. Is it feasible to built ?.
[frustration][frustration]
Yes you can construct. But it will not be approved.
What will happen during a power failure or emergency? People jump out through windows???

Please take my post in lighter way, there is no intention to hurt anyone.

Commercial Complex.
  1. Staircase are the best place to give interviews
  2. Staircases can be used to ignore your managers (2 Ups and above) rather than going along with them in mute mode in lifts.
  3. Staircases are used to burn calories
  4. Staircases can be used to have prolonged tea breaks along with discussion on "special topics" along with friends [:D]

Residential Complex.
  1. New flat owners will not be able to shift their furniture’s and heavy luggage’s as these are not allowed in lifts
  2. In emergency situation there will be long queue / fight to get in the lift. The loaded lift starting from top floor will halt at every floor downwards because everyone will be in hurry to get landed down.
  3. “Paan” spewers will miss the corners of staircases
  4. Security guys will do additional job of closing lift doors properly when someone starts yelling from top floor / ground floor
  5. Peoples creating their own signatures by making unique footwear sound while going up and down on staircase will be solely missed. [;)]
  6. For ladies, unknown strangers in lift will be a problem.

Also something like in this Ad will always take place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQ7x7c2hkQ

Last edited:

[frustration][frustration]
Yes you can construct. But it will not be approved.
What will happen during a power failure or emergency? People jump out through windows???
sir the post is on the lighter note for the information regarding the costs, space utilised for the staircase and to see if any alternative can be worked out as.
Found your reply on harsher way.

sir the post is on the lighter note for the information regarding the costs, space utilised for the staircase and to see if any alternative can be worked out as.
Agreed, but what alternate do we have for this case?

Modern buildings with n number of lifts do have a staircase as mandatory for some reason (especially considering safety during emergency instances) The frequency that we use a staircase may be very limited, but not to forget, those 'limited' frequency usage is just unavoidable and may be for life saving.

For me, having a staircase is just same as having Airbag / ABS in cars. We aren't sure when it will be needed, but needed for sure.

Found your reply on harsher way.
May be, but more frustrated with certain threads / topics which adds no / very less value.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks.

We have to study the elevators in terms of providing back up power in situations of power breaks.

Also nowadays elevators have the best fire protection systems. Maybe useful for taller buildings, skyscrapers.

European countries viz Germany, France, Sweden, Italy, Hungary, United Kingdom etc may build this experimental building model?

Thanks & regards
Prashant s akerkar

Thread Starter #8
Thanks.

We have to study the modern built elevators in terms of providing sufficient back up power for 2-3 days in situations of mains power breaks so that people may not get stuck up in elevators.

Also nowadays sophisticated elevators from Schindler, Otis cos have the best fire protection systems. Maybe this model is useful for taller buildings, skyscrapers rather than shorter buildings ?.

Cost factor of Having additional Lifts / Elevators for replacing the staircases have to be evaluated.

European countries viz Germany, France, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Belgium, Norway, Hungary, United Kingdom etc may build this experimental building model in the 21st century ?

Thanks & regards
Prashant S Akerkar

Thread Starter #9
Thank you.

The Key to this Building model success i.e. Building construction without Staircases would be Elevators robust fire protection systems as well as should be in running condition even in emergency situations such as main power breaks for several days so that people should not get stuck up inside the elevator. I am confident that in the 21st century we will be able to have these modern elevators or they may be already available manufactured by Schindler, Otis etc cos.

If Modern elevators provide these capability, the staircases may not be required
in future building constructions.

It will be also interesting to have a Building Plan without staircases by the architects.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Top Bottom