2014 West Africa Ebola Outbreak. What Do You Think?

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys,
just worried about the Ebola disease. It's wrecking havoc in West Africa, from what I've heard. It doesn't seem like it is transmitted through air, but it can. People leaving Africa from flights can do this. :stupid: I know this is not a topic to joke on, but this is a possibility. What are your views on this? And, are we threatened by this virus, here in India? For more info :
2014 West Africa Ebola virus outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ebola virus disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't read the whole articles yet, maybe I could find the info there. In that case, don't bash me up please!
Mods, I searched for a similar topic, but couldn't find one. Please merge if one exists.

Thanks!!

I'm very, very far from an expert in this field, but there have been some suggestions that the Ebola virus is very similar to the 'Black Death' plague of the year 1300s.

All I have to say is I was on a plane a few days ago, trying to not breathe whenever a nearby passenger coughed/sneezed. I know it's an ineffective method of avoidance, but I do ridiculous things when I'm worried. [;)]

Thread Starter #5
Well, if it makes you feel any better posting a thread should be about sharing knowledge/opinions, not competing to get replies [;)]
:offtopic: You're quite right there! Only problem is that I *don't* have much knowledge and opinions are really biased, making them as useful as onions! Bad joke? LOL Sorry! And added to that, this was a question, since I got too close to an unknown puppy and my friends started scaring the daylights out of me, but LOL ditch it now!

Last edited:
All I have to say is I was on a plane a few days ago, trying to not breathe whenever a nearby passenger coughed/sneezed. I know it's an ineffective method of avoidance, but I do ridiculous things when I'm worried. [;)]
As a general principle of hygiene, you are right, but not for Ebola.

Ebola isn’t as contagious as more common viruses like colds, influenza, or measles. It spreads to people by contact with the skin or bodily fluids of an infected animal, like a monkey, chimp, or fruit bat. Then it moves from person to person the same way. Those who care for a sick person or bury someone who has died from the disease often get it.

Other ways to get Ebola include touching contaminated needles or surfaces.

You can’t get Ebola from air, water, or food. A person who has Ebola but has no symptoms can’t spread the disease, either.

As a general principle of hygiene, you are right, but not for Ebola.

Ebola isn’t as contagious as more common viruses like colds, influenza, or measles. It spreads to people by contact with the skin or bodily fluids of an infected animal, like a monkey, chimp, or fruit bat. Then it moves from person to person the same way. Those who care for a sick person or bury someone who has died from the disease often get it.

Other ways to get Ebola include touching contaminated needles or surfaces.

You can’t get Ebola from air, water, or food. A person who has Ebola but has no symptoms can’t spread the disease, either.
That's the point! I know it won't help but I still tend to do it...like an illogical reflex.

Similar to the way some people close their eyes when they are scared, it doesn't actually change the situation but helps us cope with it mentally.

Top Bottom