Husband and Wife Working in Same Organisation

Thread Starter #1
Some Organisations (Government and Private Jobs) in any industry or sector do not allow Husband and Wife to work in the same organisation.

1. What are the reasons for the same ?.

2. On a personal opinion are you For or Against this HR rule ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Re: Husband and Wife Working in same Organisation.

Some Organisations (Government and Private Jobs) in any industry or sector do not allow Husband and Wife to work in the same organisation.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Ohh.. I was not aware of any such rule. Btw which organization has such hr rule?
In fact i was under the impression that organizations promote husband n wife to be together considering follong points.
1: Physical and mental health of employee.
2: Chances of job switching less.
3: daily commute to n fro from office to home.

Re: Husband and Wife Working in Same Organisation.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
To the best of my knowledge their is no such rule in any organization, if your HR says like that, then ask them to give it in printed format in the company leter head, because that's a typical human rights law violation you can take them to court.

Last but not least Husband and wife or father and son or sisters or what ever kind of relation ship it is, they can work in same organization (company), But they should not report to one another (example: husband's reporting manager at office should not be his wife[cry] or vise versa)
because that makes the manager show leniant or do favorite towards his relative rather than other members reporting to him or her, this rule is there in many private firms including many top MNC's and they list this in their company ethics

In my previous company it was a rule.

The rule was that if a person is working in a company then his/her spouse cannot join the company.
But if 2 people are working together in a company, get married then it is OK.

The main reason behind this is unknown. But people use to say, HR/Management thinks, if couple is together in a company then they will focus less on work and more on personal issues.

But the rule is full of hypocrisy.

I am not aware of such rule where husband and wife can not work together. Rather company encourage such thing. It may bring down the job hopping or company switching. Husband and wife will not hurried to go home,rather they can go together.

But one thing HR people do is,they take care the conflict of interest part like reporting structure etc.

Husband and wife CAN'T work together in the same organisation is a rule with many organisations and they are official rules and not unwritten parlance.

Employee friendly MNCs like AVIVA have this rule and in case people do get married when in the organisation then one of them has to leave the organisation.

In other organisations of repute if you get married after both are in the same organisation then they can't be part of the same channel / vertical.

Right or wrong this is a rule with many organisations. The biggest point in favour of this "conflict of interests"

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ok so, casual surfing on our forum got me to this thread. Firstly, I will first give a slightly humorous color to this topic: Husband and Wife should be in same organization as it will help the wife keep a tab on the hubby's over-friendliness to other female colleagues.[lol][lol] For a hubby, office being a getaway to live his bachelor's life for few hours will become a jail with jailor (read=wife) always keeping an eye on him.

Now moving on to a more deeper thought. I am against the fact that hubby and wife can't work together in one organization. They can be in different departments of same company. Half of the marriages today are between employees of same company. I have noticed this specially in companies of Gurgaon Cyber city. If both are in different departments or sometimes even at different positions in same organization then I believe there is no issue at all. A simple principle needs to be followed by the couple when in office i.e to know how to differentiate and maintain a decorum in your personal and professional life.

Here is a very sweet ad that I saw on youtube and it certainly is a apt one for the thread.​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHfavihw5pY

The ad above clearly shows how easily can the couple work in same organization and yet their bond of love and respect for each other is intact. It all depends on the individual personality of a man and his wife!

Regards

Akash

Husband and wife working together anywhere is a disaster most of the times and hence companies do make such policies
Example:
Kitchen; put both of then inside together and see what happens. :biggrin:

Actually I also have the same belief that with hubby and wife working together in same department at same or at different positions can easily result in both of them being biased towards each other at some or other point of time.

Well this is a rule in educational institutes as well ! My neighbour got married last year, Both of them were employed in same school. So now, one of them have to stay home or work elsewhere .

I've noticed one more thing , like if a parent is employed in school, s/he will register his/her kid in some other school, just personal preference.

There were a couple in my company, the wife was temporarily deputed to her husbands team who was a manager then. They were on a long on-site assignment together in U.S and they claimed some of the family benefits separately and the wife was asked to leave the organization (or else get fired) after someone found out this [lol]. The husband also quit due to disgrace sometime soon after his wife.

There were a couple in my company, the wife was temporarily deputed to her husbands team who was a manager then. They were on a long on-site assignment together in U.S and they claimed some of the family benefits separately and the wife was asked to leave the organization (or else get fired) after someone found out this [lol]. The husband also quit due to disgrace sometime soon after his wife.
This is why HR makes rules in the companies,using the whole hard-worker's money for the company to benefit in an unethical way.

Personally I don't feel that it's right for couples working in the same process of the organisation as there will always be an imbalance which affects the others in team to disastrous extent.

My organisation has too many examples where two people get married when in same process and then the rule is they shouldn't be in the same team.

Top Bottom