Flute Musical Instrument Construction Modification.

Thread Starter #1
Flute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can the Flute Musical Instrument Modified in Construction produce sound if you hold the flute from both sides ?.

i.e. if Symmetrical Geometrical flute is constructed on both the sides then it can produce sound ?.

i.e. Currently if you hold the flute in one side, it can produce sound, but if you hold the flute from the other side, it will not produce sound.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Flute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can the Flute Musical Instrument Modified in Construction produce sound if you hold the flute from both sides ?.

i.e. if Symmetrical Geometrical flute is constructed on both the sides then it can produce sound ?.

i.e. Currently if you hold the flute in one side, it can produce sound, but if you hold the flute from the other side, it will not produce sound.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
I learnt flute for 6 years started at the age of 12, am ashamed to. Say i have lost my touch.

But am good to answer your question

Flute has mouth piece at one end where in the end side opening hole is closed to let the blown in air to pass thru the swara "note sa re ga ma ......" holes so as it will produce the note based on the open holes / holes closed by finger.

Like in a empty pipe if two sides are opened the wind will not get directed to the swara holes.

Hope you are able to catch what am explaining.

If you blow air thru one hole the sound / wind will exit thru the hole which is close to the blowing hole so that end is kept closed

Thread Starter #3
Thanks.

I am trying to construct a Symmetrical Geometrical Flute where there is mouth piece (i.e. currently where sound is getting produced from the mouth) on both sides.

Will it work ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Thanks.

I am trying to construct a Symmetrical Geometrical Flute where there is mouth piece (i.e. currently where sound is getting produced from the mouth) on both sides.

Will it work ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
pipe should have a big hole at one end to make it work
you can make the mouth piece as removable and construct the pipe with thread in both end so as the mouth piece can be fixed at either any one of the end

Thread Starter #5
Thank you.

Can we derive some Flute Musical Instrument Laws for the same ?.

Law 1 : Flute can generate sound only from one direction because of the following reason .......

Law 2 : Flute cannot generate sound from the other direction because of the following reason ......

Law 3 : Sound generation is possible from both the sides if we redesign a symmetrical flute because of the following reason .....

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Thank you.

Law 1 : Flute can generate sound only from one direction because of the following reason .......

Law 2 : Flute cannot generate sound from the other direction because of the following reason ......

Law 3 : Sound generation is possible from both the sides if we redesign a symmetrical flute because of the following reason .....

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
sorry brother,

i do not have direct answer to your question, but this is what am trying to tell you

a stretched rubberband also produces sound but it cant replace the guitar

stainless steel plate and spoon also makes sound but it cant match the tabla or drums

am not discouraging you, with the below design its a perfect flute, and we have flutes starting from 45 cms to 2 feet size used for producing different decibel sound [longer one will produce base pitch {bass} and smaller one will produce high pitch]

in the picture A refers to blowing hole (where sound gets produced) and it should be bigger than the swara (note sa,re ga ma holes)
as the sound wave gets travelled thru and comes out of swara holes depends up on the fingers closed and open, level or pattern of opening and closing the 7 holes creates the music as sound / air wave comes out thru the holes.

then why the other end is kept open ? certain note like "Ma" will work only if the first hole alone is open and another note technique works if all small holes are closed, so to have the air / sound come out in that situation we need a open end on the bamboo flute.

here the C gap between blowing hole and swara holes is important,
also note B the swara (small holes has the same level of gap between each other.

in simple term to produce a near perfect or perfect flute following this basic rules are mandatory,

if the above basic rule not followed you can develop a sound producing instrument but that cant match or produce sound be on par with flute, rather it will produce a different sound

what am trying to say here is: like violin even guitar is a string instrument and veena is also a string based instrument, but violin sound is different from guitar

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Hi Prashantakerkar,

AFAIK

1. In flute, sound can be generated only if the blown air doesn't escapes easily/quickly to outside of the flute.
PROOF
Consider a normal flute with 1+6 holes in which the 1st hole for blowing and rest 6 holes for playing the notes ( (==O=========O=O=O=O=O=O===) Kindly Consider this as a flute[roll] and number the holes from 1-7 starting from LHS)
If you try to blow through the 2nd hole you can manage to create sound without much effort. Where as if you try to blow to the 3rd hole from LHS It may not be possible, and when it comes to 4th surely you cant create the sound(Obviously, you can hear the normal air passing shuu shuu sound[lol])
Similary 5th and 6th will also wont be possible to create the sound. But when you try on the last hole, ie on the 7th hole, it will be possible to create sound.

Reason is here in the 7th hole the air flow velocity is lesser comparing to the 6th,5th,4th,3rd holes.(IF you have difficultly in digesting it, then let me know. I will try to explain it little bit more better.)

2.Flute can generate sound from either sides(Yes, you can create sound even without closing the big hole of the flute in the opposite end). But the sound's frequency will be very different comparing to playing the flute from the normal side)

3. Even without any modification sound generation is possible from both sides.
If you are talking about the possibility playing the flute in both sides as a normal flute, then it is not possible. Even if you try this "you can make the mouth piece as removable and construct the pipe with thread in both end so as the mouth piece can be fixed at either any one of the end"(Quote from MS1) It wont sound perfect. Because the 6 holes are even not placed perfectly at equidistant. So the notes will get wrong when we follow that, But still it will closer to the original notes.

If you don't mind, may I know the reason for making a two sided flute? Just curious ;)

Regards.,
Kichu

sorry brother,

what am trying to say here is: like violin even guitar is a string instrument and veena is also a string based instrument, but violin sound is different from guitar
Hi MSN,

I feel this statement doesn't hold any value for your above stated explanations.

Actually its only the TONE which is different when comparing these instruments and its not the basic TUNE/note/swara.

I mean We can play all these same basic notes/swaras from any of these stringed instruments that you have mentioned earlier(Its just like selecting a TONE in a keyboard instrument that we would like to play). But in the case of a modified double sided flute, the TONE will be same(Yes, the TONE will be of a FLUTE) but what gets different is the basic swara/notes/TUNE.

Regards.,

Thread Starter #9
Thank you.

The Advantage of this Symmetrical Flute design would be the Single Flute can be shared between two persons. For example : Father and Son. i.e. A Single Musical instrument shared between two persons.

The Flute length is extended say to 7 feet long. The Flute is hold by Father from one side and son is holding from the other side.

When the father generates sound from one flute side, the son from the other flute side will keep the flute away from his mouth and when the son generates sound from one flute side, the father from the other flute side will keep the flute away from his mouth.

Similar to Flute Musical Instrument, there can be many other musical instruments which can be re engineered to be created a Symmetrical shape.

For example : Trumpet can be made symmetrical shape so that from both ends
sound can be generated ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Thank you.

The Advantage of this Symmetrical Flute design would be the Single Flute can be shared between two persons. For example : Father and Son. i.e. A Single Musical instrument shared between two persons.

The Flute length is extended say to 7 feet long. The Flute is hold by Father from one side and son is holding from the other side.

When the father generates sound from one flute side, the son from the other flute side will keep the flute away from his mouth and when the son generates sound from one flute side, the father from the other flute side will keep the flute away from his mouth.

Similar to Flute Musical Instrument, there can be many other musical instruments which can be re engineered to be created a Symmetrical shape.

For example : Trumpet can be made symmetrical shape so that from both ends
sound can be generated ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
The possibility of making a double sided flute wont be a big deal, but I believe it will fail to make the correct basic swaras(Just my opinion).

Actually what is the purpose?

We cant say a 7 foot long doubled sided flute has an advantage unless the purpose is not to do a variety stage show.

*A flute can be made with about a foot length. So instead of this 7 feet long single flute, we could make 6 or more flutes.
*Even If the purpose is to do a stage show then the problem is,, when one of the person stand in such a way facing the audience then the other must stand in the opposite direction. Reason is FLUTE is gerenally played in the RHS position.
But still this problem can be neglected if one of the player know to play in the LHS position. So both can face the audience.

Now about TRUMPET
*I believe sound can be produced.
*Since it is made into symmetric then the inlet and outlet holes diameter will be the same.(which is the size of the diameter of a mouth piece pipe) So I believe it will behave very differently from a normal trumpet.
*I think the trumpet mouth piece pipe can be re-engineering to "V" shape for making it possible for two musicians to get separate mouth piece pipe of the same trumpet.(But still I'm not sure will it work)
Please note: I dont have any experiences with a trumpet[roll]

Regards.,

Top Bottom