Advantages & Disadvantages for Kids Playing Virtual Games

Thread Starter #1
Guys,

I'm proud father of two kids aged 10yrs old son & 5 yrs old daughter.

Nowadays I am being counter-questioned by my kids that why I am not allowing them to play games on Mobile phone frequently like their other friends (as of now I am allowing to play with Android mobile games/PC games only as reward for something doing good, may be good behavior or good studies).

IMO, I'm trying to encourage them to play actual games on playground by doing so but at the same time I worried that my kids might take it as other way.

Same thing is about Video games, Play station and so on.

Is anyone of you has came across this dilemma ? [thinking]

Last edited:
Advantages - a little, may be they will learn to operate computer/related electronic gadgets. again, I am not at all a virtual game savvy but can operate electronic gadgets better than many people.
Disadvantages - many. I heard that small kids are getting blood sugar and other life style related diseases. By god's grace, I have not yet acquired any of them though many of my colleagues have. May be because I liked and did lots of cycling (tri/bi) when I was a kid. Later on, I have got habituated to walk on a trademill for 30 mins a day for 4-5days in a week. I am afraid that our next generation would loose the joy of living a disease-free life! May God prevent that.

Thread Starter #3
My observation is, nowadays this is most followed kind of parenting going on.

Kid should be at the top of the world, be it studies, Sports, Competitive Exams (Parents are paying maximum to take care that their kid should get all top class things in the world).

And to top up this, they would provide him/her with all new-gen tech-savvy gadgets.

No doubt that this is most common thing that every parents try to give their children best possible scenario.

But won't this high tech gadgets take away the childhood of a kid in terms of attachment with family and most important compromise with health by not being on ground to stretch the muscles to grow up in proper way ?

First of all playing virtual games are not a bad habit. Be sure to make a time restriction.
Advantages are, they get more competitive more sharper and yes they get to learn more about electronic gadgets and technologies as Mr.Sambit said.
Main disadvantage is, an uncontrolled gaming can make them get addicted to virtual games which will make them less interactions with people and gradually get reduces their social life, which will highly effects their self confidence.

Since it comes under parenting I would like to elaborate more. SOrry if its OT.

Congrats., Your kids are now in the 2nd stage.

A SANSKRIT VERSE
"LALAYETH PANCH VARSHANI,
DASH VARSHANI THADAYETH,
PRAPTHE THU SHODACHE VARSHE
PUTRE MITRAVATH AACHARETH"

1st line means, Fondle and love your child upto the age of 5. Here in your case this stage is over and I hope you and your wife must have performed well. [:)]

2nd line says, 10 years starting from 5 to 15years of their age be strict with him,discipline him,educate him. Here you have no right to touch your child for beating or hurting inorder teach them discipline. Remember, if you hit them, you failed in parenting. You should be firm with the children, but never hit the children.

My suggestion is, try to collect some educational games and include it in the time frame of playing virtual games, So it will be joyful and useful.

Educate them the benefits of sun and sunlights in our life,wake them up early in the morning just to see the beauty of the rising sun. Actually its not too early, since the sunrises around 6:30am, so if your kids use to wake up in those times then take them out to the place(either terrace, varantha or even outside of the home) from where you can see the sun and let them get exposed to the morning sunlight for sometime and let them get charged with vitamin D. (Teach them the advantage of morning sunlights and the disadvantages of sunlights during noon time for our body.)

Getting up early in the morning yields lots of time in a day. Start introducing yoga and meditation. MAke them do it atleast for small duration just to make it habitual then later they do well.
Start spending money on buying them good attractive books instead of tasty poisonous foods, start with colorful cartoon books (just to make them attracted to books) and gradually get them books which contain good piece of information to their life.
Make a habit for finding the wrong things and avoiding it in life. Train this your kids by saying appropriate stories or real life experience. All you need to do is motivate them.

Remember, Role models of every kids are their parents. Mostly they just wanted to do whatever their parents do. So you will also do also these things to make your kids to follow it[;)]

Introduce various forms of talents and give them introductions to it. Dont force, but just motivate and inspire them by showing some good videos. If you found they are getting interested, then help them to get trained in it. which will definitely help them to feel proud and confident by performing in school stages.[clap]

& when he attains the age of 16, treat him as a friend,guide him,hear him & mould him to become a good son, a good citizen & a noble man.

Be sure dont reactive immediately with anger or a big NO. Tell them why it is wrong and think do you want a wrong thing to be done?

Teach them the ultimate aim of our life is to be HAPPY and to MAKE OTHERS HAPPY.

I personally think Kids should be allowed to play virtual games, but at same time parents should take care that Kids also have some physical activities. Either make them joint some sport classes, Karate classes, etc. or something that is physical.

From my experience, playing virtual games also help Kids in many ways. Their reflexes become sharp playing some FPS games, plus my personal experience that sometimes kids develops never quitting attitude as they want to win all levels. But till this is not transformed into addiction, it is good.

In my college days, I used to play games on PC 8 hours a day straight, but I also used to play cricket, go out with friends. So there is always balance. For kids of that age, they are smart enough to understand. But for small kids, parents needs to draw line.

In my college days, I used to play games on PC 8 hours a day straight, but I also used to play cricket, go out with friends.
Good that you were able to play cricket. In my college days, I played PC games more than 16 hrs a day and go out with friends rest of the time. [:D] I was too to busy exercise and/or sleep.

Only before semesters, I used to study the night before the exam and clear the papers. Careerwise no issues since I knew what to do when and got a couple of offers from campus itself. But kids may not have that maturity to maintain this from career perspective.

But, it did affect my health in terms of weight gain, high BP, High Uric Acid etc. etc. Then I just left PC games, yes I never play PC games anymore. I am really healthy today.

Just wanted to share my way of life if that helps!

Last edited:
Basic Phone for 15 Year old kids. Good or Bad

Hey TAIns, I am a 15Yr old Techied !! car lover (Enthusiasist a bit).I just have a doubt on Kids like me. Are we kids too young to use Mobile phones (Ofcourse I've seen younger kids using Galaxys and iPhones for playing Games and without knowing whats under the hood of them.That always makes me go crazy !! ). I strictly believe Mobile Phones are not for playing games.And yeah I am talking about the basic Nokia Phones like the Nokia 100. Thabk you

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
But, it did affect my health in terms of weight gain, high BP, High Uric Acid etc. etc. Then I just left PC games, yes I never play PC games anymore. I am really healthy today.

Just wanted to share my way of life if that helps!
This is exactly what I was thinking about at the start of this thread !!!

My general observation is kids tends to get involved in virtual games at such extent, that they even try to skip breakfast, lunch & Dinner. Also not so keen to go outside and play actual ground games like cricket , soccor and so on.

And it becomes very hard at times to convince them about the importance of the actual games played on the ground. So eventually it can affect health, eyesight, socializing skills and may be resisting power against normal deseaces (immunity).

Touchwood, my kids are not in this stage (still in counter-quetioning mode), but just for precaution, I am thinking about the same.

Just wanted to spread some awareness so that parents can think upon !

Thread Starter #9
Balance between virtual games/use of smart phone for kids and encouraging kids for actual games are really helpful only if setting up examples by Parents themselves, and can do wonders, as per my experience.

Today's smart kids don't Gyaan, they already know it all.

Only thing is it can be percolated further by act only. My 2 cents. [:)]

I don't think of any advantages, but people about reflex action and problem solving skills improving. main disadvantage is obesity and over weight.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Too much time spent on video games lead to poor eyesight. I feel beyond a certain limit, parents need to keep a tab on the same. Pravin is right, mostly, due to this sedentary life, children develop obesity.

Regards

Akash

bhvm

Honoured Member
Guys,

IMO, I'm trying to encourage them to play actual games on playground by doing so but at the same time I worried that my kids might take it as other way.

Same thing is about Video games, Play station and so on.

Is anyone of you has came across this dilemma ? [thinking]
I have an innovative solution,
We can have a treadmill with inbuilt generator.
The generator then can be hooked to PSP or video games.

Suppose child wants to play for half hour, He has to walk for Half hour. Simple[evil]
The system can also be harnessed to generate Green energy if every member for family walks for half hour daily. I think we can charge battery and run LEDs off it etc.

My Family doctor says that human body is designed to walk atleast 2 hours daily. ofcourse thats not possible in todays times.

I have an innovative solution,
We can have a treadmill with inbuilt generator.
The generator then can be hooked to PSP or video games.
Best Greener innovation. [clap]

Why can't it be an exercise cycle than a treadmill, as the exercise cycle burns much calories in an hour/ half an hour than a treadmill. And it would be very easy to install the exercise cycle to the generator. Am i right?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Best Greener innovation. [clap]

Why can't it be an exercise cycle than a treadmill, as the exercise cycle burns much calories in an hour/ half an hour than a treadmill. And it would be very easy to install the exercise cycle to the generator. Am i right?
agreed. it could be any excersize equipment that deals with circular motion.
a hand crank generator (like ww1 jeeps ) can also work very well and gives you very strong arms!

Top Bottom