Car Requisition By Election Commission

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,
The parliament election is around again. I heard that Election Commission make car requisition during this time. A few years back when I had no car of my own, I heard some of my relatives and friends did not take their cars (particularly newly purchased) to main roads apprehending this requisition. What you are doing?
The opinion of my relatives and colleagues is now divided. Some said we are not taking cars to road unless compelled (medical purpose for example) and others said there is a recent judgement of court directing EC not to make requisition of private small cars. I seek your views.[roll]

Last edited:
Election Commission requesting private cars? I never heard this before. The Election Commission has the entire government machinery under its control during elections. Not sure why it should ask for private cars? You may need to enquire well about this. Normally government matters will always be documented. Please check if you had received any letter from Election Commission signed by authorized official and you may need to check with the official as well on the authenticity of the letter[glasses]

Last edited:
EC cannot take private cars on hire. They can only hire yellow plate vehicles. In fact white plate vehicles cannot be hired legally.
Lastly they would mainly hire diesel vehicles and not small petrol cars.
Its a myth which runs in Kolkata for long time (since I was kid).

Hi guys ,
I am getting a little scared after reading net and googling it.Help me

My problem is many times my driver alone goes to Dwarka (Near Gurgaon).The car is Hyundai i20 Petrol (1.5 years old) can it be taken by EC ?
He may travel there alone also and sometimes with my brother and friends .What should I do to stop the requisition by Election Commission?

Thanks
Ankit

Was reading this similiar article for few day on another side here are some newspaper articles:
SUV owners duck for cover to dodge poll duty - The Times of India

Another article.
You can refuse to give your car, but cite a genuine reason - The Times of India

That is somewhat true,Even MR.HVK(Hiway king) was once trapped in MP may be.
This is really new information! Never heard that the election commission can take the cars from private owners as well. I think it is better for people with large SUV to keep them locked up indoor.

They do it and it is fact but they seek mostly Bolero and other UV. In North India, it used to happen even they take small car. Many people used to keep car under garage during those days. Why cannot they take SUVs from our blood thirsty politicians and their goons.

Hmmm i have not heard of such things here in Bangalore or around,but as "ERTIGA_ZMR" mentioned, i have noticed on election duty vehicles are usually Boleros. But i never knew a private vehicle can be commandeered like this,only had heard the President if required could commandeer any car(lets say in an emergency).
Maybe down in South India they are not that into it am guessing,
Reminds me of an incident i had ,There was a re election in a place & i was driving through the area(highway) & i was stopped to check my luggage,i was furious cos i had no idea why people in plain clothes stopped me by almost jumping in front of mine & other cars.
I was quite annoyed & he started talking rudely while asking me to open the boot open all the luggage at which point my mother was furious & started verbally abusing the fellow,i just showed him the laptop bag & closed the boot & left.

But i want to know if any one in South India has had any experience having their cars taken for election?
I have heard of SUVs being stolen for elections from Mumbai to be used in Bihar & other regions.

Last edited:
During last election 2012 of Gujarat my eeco (Private Registration) was caught by EC guys they were with RTO for election use purpose they gave me a letter that from next day my car (EECO) has to report at some court (Olpad) and they mentioned if the car will not report there will some charges as per RTO.

I sent my car with driver, he said they fill up the Gas Tank (CNG) generally 30 KMS daily and food/breakfast for driver. They used my car for 4 days.

After around 6 months they called me and said to collect your amount it was 7700 /-.

This time we have two cars Xylo & Eeco and we already parked in Garage for few days and using alto as heard they still hunting for Multi Passenger vehicles.

EC cannot take private cars on hire. They can only hire yellow plate vehicles. In fact white plate vehicles cannot be hired legally.
Lastly they would mainly hire diesel vehicles and not small petrol cars.
Its a myth which runs in Kolkata for long time (since I was kid).
A colleague of mine had a private Tata Indica which was requisitioned by EC in last election. It was "trapped" in Alipore area outside Bhavani Bhavan.

In case you don't know the great HVK's scorpio was also stopped once which I heard in MP area.

The rule never states that you can't take a pvt owned car. The norm is that they tend to take yellow number plates but in case the requirement is more then they touch the other number plates too..

Was reading this similiar article for few day on another side here are some newspaper articles:
SUV owners duck for cover to dodge poll duty - The Times of India

Another article.
You can refuse to give your car, but cite a genuine reason - The Times of India

That is somewhat true,Even MR.HVK(Hiway king) was once trapped in MP may be.
But in case of a private car requisitioned who will drive the car ?
Below Q&A from the second link of above post !

Q. A genuine concern of private vehicle owners is that the vehicles may not be handled properly or returned with damage....

A. Vehicles are requisitioned with drivers. For, those who have drivers ensure that the drivers are good and they will take care of cars. In case of those without drivers, vehicles are taken with the owners themselves providing drivers. So owners themselves can ensure the cars are in safe hands.

Q. The rates offered for hiring vehicles are not high...

A. Instead of stating whether or not they are high, I'll tell you the rates. They are fixed by the state transport department and are same as the rates at which government vehicles are hired.

For small cars, most commonly Ambassadors, the rate is Rs 400 per day. Fuel charges are paid separately. For bigger cars, it is Rs 590 per day. Both are non-AC rates. A big car with AC is Rs 700 daily. Buses are given Rs 1,150 and autorickshaws Rs 220. Drivers are given payment of Rs 35 for food and if they do night shift, they get Rs 60. This is the khoraki and payment is for two days and given immediately. The rest of their payment is given to the car owners, which the driver is expected to collect from the owner, and this does take a bit longer.
35rs and 60rs ? Seriously ? [surprise]

Last edited:
Guys, firstly this is not a myth but real scenario during elections. But there are rules with it, thought not completely followed but there are,
Suv or the UV utility vehicles are more tobe ceized by the election commission as well as the parties standing for elections in the name of commission.
If the person is travelling in his own car, with family or lady along , they cannot sieze them, or if so it is needed have to provide another car small even but have to.
Hatchbacks are never asked but upon you never know about it, though i have not heard about hatchbacks being asked.
Sumo, xylo, bolero, scorpios and safari's the main targets along with other utility vehicles are always seen for.

Few days back when i was travailing through my bike near Forum mall in Elgin road all of sudden i have seen few police stopped all the bikes and i was also one of them and they have noted my license number and bike number and when asked them is this routine check or something else because they were not bother to check any papers and then after they disclosed the real fact that bike will (may) be taken for election duty[frustration]

Top Bottom