Career Options in the Automotive Field?

Thread Starter #1
Hey folks, as you all know I am very much inclined towards automobiles, and I would absolutely LOVE to have a job related to the automotive field, as I strongly believe in the fact, "You must enjoy your work. If you don't, it's no good." Being an Arts student, what are the possible career options that I have in the automotive sector, considering the fact that I believe I can excel in this field. I have pretty good oratory skills (as you can probably make out [:D] ), and I believe I can do some sales work too. Please do pour in your advice, suggestions, help, references ([;)] ) I would be glad if all of you could help me. Cheers!

Thats great to know Amaan, you want to work in the field of your interest.

Being an art student, surely you have option in design field, if you have interest. Otherwise, in case you are interested in sales/marketing field, after graduation, i am sure finding a job in Mumbai will not be difficult. Join any showroom as sales person. Work for say ~2 years. And then must plan for MBA in marketing. That will enhance your career. Good luck.

EDIT: Also you can contact Ichimaru. I think he is same field.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do have good no. Of options in auto industry as suggested by RSM, but you need to decide your area of interest, whether you want to go in for marketing or designing. Both have a different way of approach.

350Z

Core Team
In which class you’re studying currently? And which area of automobiles interests you more? Since automotive field has quite a vast career options starting from journalism to engineering to motor sports, all of them are totally different. So before starting out first of all decide what exactly you’re looking for, then move forward step by step.

However, from your post what I can make out is that you could consider doing MBA and perhaps that day won’t be far enough when you’ll be working as an executive for a reputed automobile manufacturer, but don’t think of any magic overnight. Everything asks for a lot of time. Secondly, I also believe the phrase which you mentioned “You must enjoy your work. If you don't, it's no good” Sound true, no? Before I started surfing net, I thought I was one of the different species of human who’s amazingly crazy about automobiles but after exploring the world in detail through world wide web, I know, I am not the only person. To cut long story short, In simple words, The competition is cut throat out there but all hard efforts can pay it off some day.

Aditya, I hope you won't mind dropping a few lines in this thread about story of your Automobile Design Engineering.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
Designing I think is something I am not really interested in. I am very bad at mathematics (especially geometry :P ) and I don't think I am that creative. BUT, what I do feel is that I could probably do a pretty decent job as a salesperson, or even a motoring journalist! All I want to know is that is being a salesperson feasible? I mean I know the fact that the pay package SP's get may not be impressive, but with bigger and more premium luxury brands, I think it will. What do you guys say?

@Amaan

I did a sales job at a TATA-FIAT dealership in jaipur for FIAT.
At that time i did not even complete my graduation!

I think a sales job is more about what you are, who you are and how do you present the product.
Believe me i knew nothing about sales or marketing at that time and even my boss said you are not even a graduate yet.
I told him i can sell a FIAT car for sure.
He asked me just one question "define marketing" and i told him "according to me marketing is all about convincing people to buy our product. make them believe that our product is the best! advertising, personal selling etc. are a part of it but the ultimate aim is to sell the product and win the customer!"

He gave me the job then and there.
of course the basic pay may not be much but incentives are good.
You can give it a try i think it was a great experience.

P.S. --> Din't intend to boast about myself.[embarass]

Hey Amaan,

You are pretty clear in what you need. I appreciate that.

Few cents from my end.

First drop into a showroom & go to any sales person & check out the techspecs of the car. I beleive almost 95% of the people are dumb & they aren't really passionate about their job. They just work for money.

Is that what you want to do ? Do you want to work with those guys ?

You have to give lot of false promises on a brand, when you clearly know that its not worth!!

So again, be really clear before you pitch in & you shouldn't regret at later point of time.

350Z

Core Team
@Amaan

I think a sales job is more about what you are, who you are and how do you present the product.
Believe me i knew nothing about sales or marketing at that time and even my boss said you are not even a graduate yet.
He asked me just one question "define marketing" and i told him "according to me marketing is all about convincing people to buy our product. make them believe that our product is the best! advertising, personal selling etc. are a part of it but the ultimate aim is to sell the product and win the customer!"

That was interesting to read, Ichimaru. I’d like to know how stable is this as a career? Because from my personal observation, I have noticed that a sales person does not stay in a dealership for more than a year or two. Maybe they get better packages elsewhere or whatever the issue is, but how stable is it?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes, i too have seen a lot of guys who used to work with tata dealership, but now working with honda dealership. But it is really an advantage to me, since they give priority to my car.

Well in that dealership i met people who had been working for 4-5 years or even more.
Having said that one can change a sales job depending upon the work environment, salary etc. and people do that often.

Thread Starter #12
@Amaan

Our thinking is pretty much the same Ichimaru! Even I believe if you really have a passion for cars and have the knowledge to back it up, I believe you can make it big in the Auto sector. And I do think to start off with, I may just try my hand at this. The pay won't be great in the beginning but in the long run, I am sure I will definitely benefit from the experience.

Hey Amaan,

You are pretty clear in what you need. I appreciate that.

Few cents from my end.

First drop into a showroom & go to any sales person & check out the techspecs of the car. I beleive almost 95% of the people are dumb & they aren't really passionate about their job. They just work for money.

Is that what you want to do ? Do you want to work with those guys ?

You have to give lot of false promises on a brand, when you clearly know that its not worth!!

So again, be really clear before you pitch in & you shouldn't regret at later point of time.
Absolutely agree with you! Almost all SP's don't even have a thimbleful of an idea about the cars they sell. They don't even know how many doors their cars have! And that is what motivates me the most. When I do have knowledge and a penchant for selling my product, I think I have bright prospects in this field. The Auto Sector in India is growing faster than almost any other industry and I feel that there is a huge scope for improvement and progress. Maybe some day I'll be working with BMW or Mercedes-Benz! They will definitely pay me better [cheers]

Off-Topic :offtopic: My 200th post! Hurray!

Last edited:
Wow!! Nice to hear your spirits soaring high!!

Congratz for your career & welcome to the automotive world :)

Hey Amaan seriously i was also thinking about the same thing one fine evening when i was bored. Most of the SE's are picked based on only their oratory skills and almost all of them lack the knowledge about cars. So why cant we join and do their job with more dedication and interest , Automobiles being our passion!

And wen i logged into TAI the next day i found this thread started by you! I also want to do the job of a SE and am pretty sure most of us present here can sell more cars than the SE's present there having good knowledge atleast more than what they have.

But given my position i cant do a full-time course as i have to do my PG course now and after that look after my dad's business but am very much happy and willing to pursue a part-time job of a SE with any dealer.

Wishing you all luck and i will be more than happy if you land up in any good job in the Automotive sector!

What Career Options are Available in Automotive Sector?

As many of us wish to work with a automotive sector , this thread must help

Member who have experience can guide the eager ones . like me!

Like me wishing to join any automotive industry/sales/service.

Yes , a small plan runs inside my mind , closure of i-cars due to finance difficulties.No worries on that . But any how , i feel i must work with cars and nothing else.

It has to be cars any day!
[cheers]

Top Bottom