Cars You Really Envy On Highways

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAIgers,
This is not to compare a Cars head-head or drivers capabilities. But most of the time after we complete a long drive, being petrol heads, we tend to talk about cars which gave us a tough time on the highways, or zoomed past us. Or sometimes, we might even notice certain cars Taking curves at higher speeds without much body roll. Or accelerating effortlessly without much effort from the driver (as it seems). There might be stories, where few drivers over take and then slow down for no reason , and do it over and over again. Which is sometimes annoying, but adds up to the fun.

My Story :

In 2008 ish time, i used to drive SX4 petrol , it used to go well in about 110 kmph comfortably. I used to maintains a steady speed around 110 - 120 in free roads. I used to see Swifts/Dzires (D) going past me most of the time on the Highways. The other car which made me look like a Joke was the car with which i fell in Love.(Octavia 160s most of the time, almost everyone, that too in the south chennai-kanyakumari). Last year(1012-1013), excluding cars >30 L (Audi,BMW....) , i see Vento's , Rapid's being very quick on the highways. Laura's/ Jetta's in very rare case speed . I have also seen i20/Civic doing high speeds and zooming past me, but they most of the time slow down to very low speed at curves.

These are all just My point of view and what i see in Chennai -Kanyakumari Highway. I would love to hear all your stories.

Jeno

NOTE: This is not to encourage AGGRESSIVE driving. This is just to share our priceless experiences.

Mods: Please move it to appropriate section.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Scoprio folks are usually seen going very fast and they have a flair of confidence during overtaking other cars. I ve seen a competitive behavior among Scorpio owners. If we zoom past them, They revv up and overtake us at any cost. I did beat them with my XUV 500 a few times though.

Other people are Honda City owners who just don't want us to overtake them. Or will try to overtake you again and again just like you mentioned !

jeno_turbo, you have to add me to your list of Fast ones.

I don't encourage anyone to drive past at speed where a small mistake can take few lives
We have a speed limit in australia of 110 on Freeways and 80 on highways. There are Speed camera's and highway patrols all over. If you get caught driving 5-10kmph over the legal limit you are done!

However I have seen people doing over 200 which I feel was pretty stupid and felt pity on them for doing so. Most of the cars on the road are now more than capable of doing 200+ kmph .

As per topic, I was about to turn right to enter the freeway in my skyline, and the left lane was going straight ahead and I saw one Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo went pass and Am sure he was doing over 180 on a 80 zone.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I don't encourage anyone to drive past at speed where a small mistake can take few lives
We have a speed limit in australia of 110 on Freeways and 80 on highways. There are Speed camera's and highway patrols all over. If you get caught driving 5-10kmph over the legal limit you are done!

However I have seen people doing over 200 which I feel was pretty stupid and felt pity on them for doing so. Most of the cars on the road are now more than capable of doing 200+ kmph .

As per topic, I was about to turn right to enter the freeway in my skyline, and the left lane was going straight ahead and I saw one Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo went pass and Am sure he was doing over 180 on a 80 zone. BTW I've been over 200kmph
problem is today's cars are very capable ( not so.for drivers )

other problem is speed limits are not updated as per new cars. 110 is pretty nice legal limit and I won't hesitate to obey one. however, in India most speed limits are completely stupid like 40 and 50.
even 80 limit on new highways are outdated and taxing. please bring it to 120 and I'll obey.

Scoprio folks are usually seen going very fast and they have a flair of confidence during overtaking other cars. I ve seen a competitive behavior among Scorpio owners. If we zoom past them, They revv up and overtake us at any cost. I did beat them with my XUV 500 a few times though.
+1 I regularly do trichy - chennai road trip in my car. I see many scorpios doing inane speed on this road. Sometimes if i overtake them, they will be hell bent on overtaking me at any cost. i really don't understand why [confused]

These Scorpio people will love the power of the engine and rev up high! But they never know the flawed and unsafe dynamics and handling of the car.
My LUV is capable of 170kmph, but we never go above 120kmph for safety, confidence, efficiency and relaxed driving.
I have envied the Lancer once upon a time when we only had our Indica.
Now I don't envy any other car.

In Kenya there was a 800km road between Nairobi-Mombasa. Technically it was a highway, but only 1 lane a side! [surprise]. At this speed we always ended up overtaking other cars, and whenever a Land Cruiser got overtaken, it would take less than 5 minutes for him to suddenly floor it and struggle to get past! He would continue for like 200m further and then slow back down to original speed [anger] . It was like a game of 'Leap Frog' every time we overtook, until the Land Cruiser eventually overheated and started spewing black smoke, while we were totally fine! [;)]

The weird thing is this occurred with at least 3 LCs on every trip!

other problem is speed limits are not updated as per new cars. 110 is pretty nice legal limit and I won't hesitate to obey one. however, in India most speed limits are completely stupid like 40 and 50.
even 80 limit on new highways are outdated and taxing. please bring it to 120 and I'll obey.
+100! The only reason nobody cares about speed limits in India is because they are so outrageously low! The speed limit on Barapullah in Delhi is only 50 for cars, even though you can do 80 and still be quite safe!

Isn't the road to Jaipur like a 60 limit as well? I might have misread the sign but it was just a tragic sight to know that the authorities thought that was reasonable!

But it would definitely be much easier to use the roads if people learned how to use lanes, eg. lane on the right for faster traffic.

agree
the problem we have down here is that a lot of youngsters are buying or being bought fast and expensive cars.
we have staggered periods where fatalities are high with teenagers
normally with bmw m3's or golf gti's
these cars where built to race but the racer is not
illegal dragging is a major problem
have not been to one and prob never will - very unsafe

agree
the problem we have down here is that a lot of youngsters are buying or being bought fast and expensive cars.
Even with less powerful cars like i20s and Swifts you find teenagers driving like complete r*tards! I always think to myself "What is this guy trying to prove?" because in my mind it's not at all impressive when someone is just showing off that they cannot display even a tiny bit of responsibility in a public area!

Thread Starter #11
Even with less powerful cars like i20s and Swifts you find teenagers driving like complete r*tards! I always think to myself "What is this guy trying to prove?" because in my mind it's not at all impressive when someone is just showing off that they cannot display even a tiny bit of responsibility in a public area!
Yes, totally agree. And if they have the real thirst to rev hard. They should to the Tracks instead. And im not against fast driving(in a very sensible manner), Im more against Rash Driving.

Say, for example, there was a gentlemen in a Civic who was doing a very good speed (no speeds to be mentioned here). But it didnt seem to trouble/irritate anyone, and he even maintained a very safe distance between all the vehicles, i was literally following him for 200 kms without a single trouble at a high speed. But again, there was a guy in a Dzire(no offense to Dzire owners, this has more to do with the attitude of the driver) who zig zag to achieve nothing at a much lower speed than my car and the civic.

Jeno

Yes, totally agree. And if they have the real thirst to rev hard. They should to the Tracks instead. And im not against fast driving(in a very sensible manner), Im more against Rash Driving.

Say, for example, there was a gentlemen in a Civic who was doing a very good speed (no speeds to be mentioned here). But it didnt seem to trouble/irritate anyone, and he even maintained a very safe distance between all the vehicles, i was literally following him for 200 kms without a single trouble at a high speed. But again, there was a guy in a Dzire(no offense to Dzire owners, this has more to do with the attitude of the driver) who zig zag to achieve nothing at a much lower speed than my car and the civic.

Jeno
Agreed! The thing is, I have personally handled cars near the 200kph line without problems, but that doesn't mean I try and do the same speed everywhere!

For example, on delhi highways, even when the road is sparsely occupied, I keep my speed demons at bay by cranking up the music and just cruising along at 80 or 90kph. On smaller roads I never exceed 50kph. It is only on clear inter-state roads that I push my car to 120 and beyond.

Thread Starter #13
Agreed! The thing is, I have personally handled cars near the 200kph line without problems, but that doesn't mean I try and do the same speed everywhere!

For example, on delhi highways, even when the road is sparsely occupied, I keep my speed demons at bay by cranking up the music and just cruising along at 80 or 90kph. On smaller roads I never exceed 50kph. It is only on clear inter-state roads that I push my car to 120 and beyond.
Yes, exactly what im trying to say. We just have to make sure the car has enough space to stop. And the driver should be 100% aware of the Braking Capabilities of the vehicle and his right foot.

Jeno

A driver also needs to be intelligent enough to be able to handle the vehicle in his possession responsibly, for the sake of himself and others! Driving like a maniac only proves how little control you have over yourself and your vehicle.

agree
Don't you have legal restrictions where you at ?
In australia if a person has got his license, he will mostly spend his teenage on P plate. Means probation. And in that they will have to display P plate on both ends of the cars.
They cannot drive any performance cars and that includes any turbo charged , supercharged , modified car, v8 or any car with higher power to weight ratios. Unable to comply can lead them to have their P plates suspended for a year .

If anyone is found doing a illegal drag race , burnouts , or speeding over 10kmph speed limit can have their cars impounded and crushed. And worst thing is your insurance will not cover you for that.

Ahh that comes handy isn't it.

Top Bottom