Reaction of Neighbors On Your Affection Towards Your Car

Thread Starter #1
I am very curious to know that is it the same situation for the fellow members which I face when I am doing some thing (DIY, washing polishing etc) with the car and my neighbors see me as if I am stealing some stuff from their cars [lol].

I will write my experiences later, waiting for some crazy replies and experiences. [sleep]

Re: Reaction of your neighbors

Never tried DIY but whenever I polish the car or wash it thoroughly for an hour or 2. They just look at me with an expression saying: "Why so concerned about the car?" [anger]

I live in big apartment , and I do following things regularly:
1. Wash and clean my car
2. Check air pressure and fill air if it is less.
3. Change tyre in case of puncture.
4. Repair puncture (in case it is small).
5. Inspect battery and engine bay and other oil level.

Most of the time, people who are passing by, stare at me with question mark; what I am doing.
Some of them pass smile.Some kids start gathering around me in curiosity.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

When i'm washing the car
: Lage raho (carry on)

When I apply wax on the car
: how much more makeup will you put on the car.

When a friend see me twice cleaning the car.
: when will you clean my car, i've been waiting for so much time.

I once said to my friend - " oye, now i've taken a bath and you are still cleaning your car" [:D]

Last edited:

True that a lot of car owners think about maintenance especially cleaning car as a lowly menial job only to be done by hired help. I think otherwise.

Its all a personal preference frankly, if the guy is a big shot & making tons of money & does not want to spend time or have the time to do such stuff, cannot really blame him. However obviously one need not stare at others as if they were aliens in case they see someone cleaning their car!

Also Nobody cares about what others are upto anyways these days sometimes its just us being more conscious that we might be doing some very lowly job or possibly curiousity on part of others maybe.

Last edited:

I might be singled out for this statement but This is the major reason I do not like to live in a residential apartment or Apartment flooded Towns, majority of people expect other to behave and do the way majority of people are doing it. While in crowded residential areas, I love to stay because one find all kind of people (Economically) and hence varied practices and approach to things and hence I feel free to do things the way I can and not the way I am expected to.

Yesterday evening only I was filling windshield liquid and cleaning some stickers from my Car and in the parking lot whoever was coming was looking at me as if I am stealing something from my own car [anger]

As I don't have car parking, I used to do all the things to my car on the street itself.

I used to fix Roots horn, Underchase LED's(On my previous car), wash, wax, Interior cleaning, cleaning the Engine bay, polishing the tyres, fixing extra accessories and what else:)

When ever I'm doing something to my car, people in my street used to watch me like a Alien[:D].

Sometimes it take 3-4 Hrs to complete the work. till I complete the work, people used to watch what I'm doing all the time. Even some small kids come and watch, what I'm doing ;)

A Funny Incident: Once I went to my friend home, I met a girl there. My friend given intro to that girl. As she was from my locality. my friend said to that girl, that I'm belongs to same locality. then she asked me, on which street I'm living. I mentioned my street name. She immediately asked me, " Are you the guy, who always doing something on Black color car on the road itself[lol], I proudly said YES[evil]".

I am staying in big residential apartment and the number of car in my apartment is more then 90 but i am the only person who is cleaning,polishing and DIY in his car and most of the people look at me very strangely.After coming from my office its my habit of dusting my car be it 12 midnight so few days back one of the flat owner saw me at 12.30 in the night that i am dusting my car and he was also returning from some where that time and he strangely asked me:are you staying in this apartment and this is your car?"

I am very curious to know that is it the same situation for the fellow members which I face when I am doing some thing (DIY, washing polishing etc) with the car and my neighbors see me as if I am stealing some stuff from their cars.

I will write my experiences later, waiting for some crazy replies and experiences.
Good thread Varun. Yes, people do give us a strange look, sometimes sarcastic and even cruel ones too. But mostly, they look at us like they are spotting an Alien! Especially the ones who damn care for their car!!!

I have been living in apartments, both in Pune and Bangalore and have had many such incidents.
  • There was a guy in Pune, an irritant actually... Had a Baleno and it's in a condition of counting it's days. He would appear whenever I give a wash to my car, and will so happily use the Oase Pipe, Bucket, Sponge and at times Shampoo too. As if we are the best buddies for years together. And finally, will also give me an advice that I shouldn't regularly wash the car as it may spoil the paint!
  • Here in Bangalore, it's a small apartment with about 12 houses and most have cars, in fact 3 of them are Figos! But, I am the only one to wash / clean my car myself. The security guys, who wash others cars tried their luck with me and gave up.
  • As usual, the neighbors would walk in while I am on work and ask me, why don't I engage the security guys for this work. I politely refuse saying, it's my pleasure doing it.
Have a funny incident to narrate, as it's very relevant to the topic.

Once I was washing my car and a new security guy had come up by then. He was quite aged, maybe in 60s and started talking to me. He was telling about his background etc. and asked about me as well. He seemed to be new to Bangalore, just a week old. Finally, he asked me, how do I manage with this income in Bangalore??? I asked what? Why?? He then clarified, "I mean, with this cleaning cars, how much can you make per month and how do you survive in Bangalore that too with family??? [clap] I politely said, "Sorry, it's my car and I am one of the residents here" That's it. He was so embarrassed and apologized to me repeatedly. He must have been afraid as he is pretty new to the city, job etc. I just laughed at the incident as I guessed it well right from the beginning of the conversation that it probably would end here [:D]

A Funny Incident: Once I went to my friend home, I met a girl there. My friend given intro to that girl. As she was from my locality. my friend said to that girl, that I'm belongs to same locality. then she asked me, on which street I'm living. I mentioned my street name. She immediately asked me, " Are you the guy, who always doing something on Black color car on the road itself, I proudly said YES".
Congrats Appu. So any positive outcome of this meet? [lol] Hope you will continue to concentrate ONLY on your own Whitey than anything else.

Hi

I wash my car almost everyday. Clean the interiors even if the family goes for a small drive around town, My neighbours whenever they see me working on the car they will say. The paint is about to come off because of my washing and polishing,

But I don't care. but it becomes irritating most of the times. I do not like people or kids to watch me when i work on my car or bike.

me and wifey do the washing together. while i do the exterior she does the interior. when we have a tiff i have to do both. i have consultation in my house so i often get interrupted. the comments i get
1) why don't you get somebody to wash your car ? i reply in my mind will you pay him ,you............[anger]......
2) shall i lend a hand. no thanks i don't want some body to rob me of my enjoyment[:D]

if it comes to cleaning, i always open the bonnet to see if any rats played spoil sport and is the liquid levels are good to go.

once while checking the same my neighbor came and and put his head inside the bonnet, i pulled my head out to give him space and watched what he was up to, after 5 minutes

he asked me this questions

what was the problem? engine or battery or what ?
you don't need to do all this if it is maruti, ford and fiats will give all troubles only (he had a zen and now using ritz), and doesn't know maruti too uses fiat engines

and my humble reply was "rat and dust doesn't know is it which brand/model the car is, they will enter on their own interest, am just cleaning / checking my car does it bothers you by any way, he silently vanished from the spot.

after few months my wife asked me to check out as some one is asking for my help and waiting to meet me urgently, to my surprise it was the same guy came to me, because his car tire is flat on Monday morning where he need to reach office on time, changed his car tire but no luck as the guy never checked the air pressure on spare wheel, which is also almost flat (no air).

Very true.. When we are doing something with our car people are staring like we are converting our car into space ship.
When I do washing, engine bay cleaning, polishing of my car which takes almost 3 hours, people in my apartment used to say, "How long your doing, Why to polish new car, You are working in Engine bay Is there any problem with your new car."
LOL

Top Bottom