Do You Wear Spectacles?

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys!

If you are person wearing specs, welcome to the gang. Am the one wearing specs for past 24 years and i have some problems which driving. Hope everyone of you must have this problem.

in spite of wiping the specs, generally you will be able to see some kind of star effect. This affects a lot.

Anyone of you facing/faced this problem and how are you handling the situation.

And, Recently changed my specs with the following

Anti-scratch coating
  1. Anti-glare coating

I really enjoy this anti-glare coating. Actually the earlier one before my last was having this anti-glare coating. But some how it was missing (whether i did not ask for or that guy forgot to ask for) in my previous specs. I was facing huge problem in the nights with those people who drive with high beam always.

Now I am able to face any beam without much strain to my eyes and really enjoying it. Till date my worst thing was Tata ACE and now it has become very cool factor for me.

The only problem am facing is the STAR effect. Even after wiping I have this problem.

Especially when am driving my bike, i have this problem in both my helmet wiser as well as in my specs which adds fuel to the problem.

Any Suggestions?

My new look
DSCF0173-resized.jpg

Re: Are you wearing specs?

Sir,

I do have specs which I bought this year where I was having a problem while seminar presentations as I was having a blur vision on the screen which is in long distance. Then I checked with my doctor and he told me that I have slight short sight and suggested me anti glare glasses. I use them while driving where it improves my long vision [:)] will post a pic with them very soon

I wear specs (constant wear) for last 20 years and almost I have been driving since then. No issues driving at night with specs. Usually I use ream-less glasses to avoid vision blocking by frame edges.

Thread Starter #4

I wear specs (constant wear) for last 20 years and almost I have been driving since then. No issues driving at night with specs. Usually I use ream-less glasses to avoid vision blocking by frame edges.
How this happen anshuman. could n't get it. I was wearing half rim glasses for past 7 years and this time i went for full frame (shell frame) for a change. never had problem with blocking by frame edges.

How this happen anshuman. could n't get it. I was wearing half rim glasses for past 7 years and this time i went for full frame (shell frame) for a change. never had problem with blocking by frame edges.
If you have a shell frame or thick metal frame your vision in extreme left/right (without moving your neck) gets blocked to some extent.
I had tried contact lenses earlier, but due to peculiar power numbers (cylindrical) I carry, it is difficult to get them.

Thread Starter #6

If you have a shell frame or thick metal frame your vision in extreme left/right (without moving your neck) gets blocked to some extent.
I had tried contact lenses earlier, but due to peculiar power numbers (cylindrical) I carry, it is difficult to get them.
Okie I got it.

Some how am scared of rim less. so I never tried that.

I am not wearing any glasses (touch wood) but my wife is using it for past 8 odd years. Recently she bought unbreakable & foldable frame from Titan Eye + and she states that her problem with side vision while driving activa has gone. Agreed the frames are costly but she is enjoying them and has no regrets for the premium cost paid. Its now 3 + months she is using the same.

Thread Starter #8

I am not wearing any glasses (touch wood) but my wife is using it for past 8 odd years. Recently she bought unbreakable & foldable frame from Titan Eye + and she states that her problem with side vision while driving activa has gone. Agreed the frames are costly but she is enjoying them and has no regrets for the premium cost paid. Its now 3 + months she is using the same.
What is that.. if possible explain more and also share the cost of it.

Been wearing specs for almost 20 years. I did have problem with night time driving specially due to idiots driving on full beam on well lit roads [anger]. Have moved to contact lenses since last year. Believe me they are a huge relief. I can now watch 3d movies without ending up with a sore nose and bad headache, wear sunglasses to avoid the dashboard reflection on very sunny days, improved night vision even with high beams directed on your face, sweat it out in the gym without thinking about your glasses falling off and the list goes on. I would suggest people to give contact lenses a try.

Thread Starter #11
Been wearing specs for almost 20 years. I did have problem with night time driving specially due to idiots driving on full beam on well lit roads [anger]. Have moved to contact lenses since last year. Believe me they are a huge relief. I can now watch 3d movies without ending up with a sore nose and bad headache, wear sunglasses to avoid the dashboard reflection on very sunny days, improved night vision even with high beams directed on your face, sweat it out in the gym without thinking about your glasses falling off and the list goes on. I would suggest people to give contact lenses a try.
Ya good choice. even some one suggested me this. I think it will be very costly and may not be affordable by every one. More over chances of loosing it is high i believe (may be i learned this from movies [lol]). But how come it reduces the night vision in high beam?

Friends Still I could n't get solution for my star effect glare in my specs sometimes.

^It reduces the glare caused by the glasses. Contact lenses are not that expensive if you go for the yearly ones. Monthly ones are more hygenic though. Costs me 1000 INR for 6 months. Given the benefits I feel it is worth it.
Try using a microfiber cloth to clean the glasses. Also make it a habit to wash your glasses everyday. That would help you take away the salt deposits, dirt that accumulates throughout the day. You might try cleaning them with a mild solution of shampoo/dish washer/rubbing alcohol for starters and then continue the daily regimen of washing with water.
Edit: How on earth will you loose a contact lens [surprise]? It's easier to loose a spectacles.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
^It reduces the glare caused by the glasses. Contact lenses are not that expensive if you go for the yearly ones. Monthly ones are more hygenic though. Costs me 1000 INR for 6 months. Given the benefits I feel it is worth it.
Try using a microfiber cloth to clean the glasses. Also make it a habit to wash your glasses everyday. That would help you take away the salt deposits, dirt that accumulates throughout the day. You might try cleaning them with a mild solution of shampoo/dish washer/rubbing alcohol for starters and then continue the daily regimen of washing with water.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will do it.

Edit: How on earth will you loose a contact lens [surprise]? It's easier to loose a spectacles.
I have seen friends loosing their contact lenses while rubbing their eyes (it could have been rare one but it happens only when they are with me,) so I thought it could be easy to loose.

I could be wrong since do not have much idea about it.

BTW, How much the early one costs? My current specs costs me around Rs.3600 (frame and lens, lens is Indian made with anti scratch coating and anti glare coating)

What is that.. if possible explain more and also share the cost of it.
It will take some time for me to upload the pic since my wife is travelling tomorrow. I shall upload the pic by next weekend. Sorry for the delay. I do not remember the exact cost but the frame cost approx 2299/
The best part of this frame is it is similar to rubber. You can fold it (the side sticks) in any direction & it won't bend. By the way you can visit any Titan eye + showroom and can demand for fold-able and unbreakable frame. The glass are some anti glare glasses which are again scratch free. The cost adds up based on number.

Hello Sir,
I too wear specs and faced problems in night driving till I bought anti glare specs. Anti glare specs help a lot to prevent dazzling effect caused due to high beamers. I have never used anti scratch lenses but seen one with my friend. These are not 100% anti-scratch.

To avoid the star effect, one should take excessive care of the specs(although this is next to impossible). We tend to clean the specs with any cloth, handkerchief, or even the t-shirts that we are wearing. The specs should be cleaned only using the soft cloth provided with it. Also camera lens cleaning solutions can be used instead of water [;)] Spects cleaning solution are also available.
Clear Glaze Cleaning Kit
When not wearing, the specs should be kept in the box and one should never touch the lens while taking it out of the box.

Regarding the star effect in helmet glass, get the glass replaced and take care not to scratch it. In the similar manner the windshield of our car should be also taken care of. Before covering the car with car cover, a cotton bedsheet or dhoti can be placed on the windshield to prevent scratches from the cover.

Top Bottom