A Good Chauffeur?

Thread Starter #1
Is there anything known as "a good chauffeur"? I am unaware of such a breed for quite some time.

I have had a pretty nice chauffeur for the past many years. But due to some reason, this guy has to quit and we had to sadly let him go. This happened a year back.

Then came the plethora of humans who claimed they are chauffeurs. In the past one year, my XUV has seen atleast 6 different chauffeurs. Some quit and some were fired. Reasons were different - some were in-obedient, some were not punctual, some were rash, some took their friends for a ride in our car (!!!) and some simply couldn't drive!

My Civic does not have or does not need a chauffeur since it is driven by me. But the XUV needs one since it is our family car.

That said, what do we expect from our chauffeurs? I expect the following -

1) A well dressed and well behaved gentleman who is well spoken too. I definitely wont prefer goons. Also, someone who does not smoke or chew tobacco is another requirement of mine.

My current chauffeur boasts about how he used to whack people and abuse them for not driving well! His own driving is nothing great to talk about.

2) Secondly, the guy should be dependable so that I can trust him to send my family members on a longer trip.

An older guy used to give free lifts to his "friends" when my sister-in-law or mother were alone in the car! That too, without asking permission from them. We have also spotted him a couple of time giving joy rides to his friends when we are in another car.

3) The guy should be punctual.

We are not against our employees taking a day off. Our only requirement is that they should inform us in advance so that we can arrange our alternate means. Most chauffeurs these days do not even bother to give you a call if they are taking a day off. Common excuses are "my phone did not hae charge", "your number was not reachable", etc.

4) Most importantly, he should be a good driver. This point has a lot of variables under it. Points I look out for are -

a) He should not ride the clutch nor should he hold the car on an incline using "half-clutch".

b) He should not honk excessively. Plus he should be considerate to other road users.

c) He should not be a fast and rash driver. He can be fast when its safe, for example, express highways.

d) He should use both mirrors judiciously.

e) He should use turn indicators when negotiating any turn and also while changing lanes.

f) He should not use high beam unless really required.

g) He should be a smooth driver, should avoid potholes and have good control of the car.

h) He should have the basic mechanical knowledge of an automobile and should care for the car.

Quite honestly, if I follow all the above rules to the T, I will never get a chauffeur since most people dont follow the above points.

How is your chauffeur? What are the points you consider when choosing one?

I agree with Raj above.

But this is becoming a rarest of rare to be found in metro cities. Even if you find one, to retain them is a big issue.

This reminds me - once we hired a chauffer who wont let turn A.C. on in summer heat - reason he needs to poke his hands and legs out to give signals to vehicles behind.

Hi raj_2004,
I can relate to your problems very well. My dad is 74,now from past 3 years we haven't allowed him to drive as he getting difficulty with long distances.We tried 3 drivers,all were useless ones.Now we have a driver,not a regular one but for long journeys above 50 kms.He is a polite gentleman.Most days we pay him 1000Rs and have meals together.We in fact we don't act as he is a driver.Very nice guy and when I visit my home town I tip him some money.Now he is in rank list for Govt transport bus driver post.Really feeling bad,but then that job will be so valuable for him.The problem with metros is that good drivers can earn upwards of 25000 I guess,so it may not be feasible to pay 25000 for chauffers.Here regular chauffers get upwards of 12000.I would like to know how much is the past in Mumbai?
Regards,
Aneesh.

Well I have 3 drivers in the family. One in Delhi and 2 in Patna.

Firstly, Let's talk about Sunil: he is the driver of my uncle's Manza and he is just an angel. His driving is flawless and he keeps it so smooth even in Patna Traffic. He is extremely well behaved and shows up on time everyday. He has excellent car control. He also knows a lot about a car's mechanicals and always keeps the car clean. He is really the perfect driver one can have but sadly he is leaving to his family next month as there is a sudden emergency. Not sure if he will return.

Then comes Laxman: He too is in Patna but he drives my Xylo. He is fairly punctual with time. But his driving in the beginning was horrific. No following of rules. Fast. Rash. He used to drive a Xylo like a 800. Just taking cuts here and there. Horrific. But off late after continuos scolding from dad, he has toned down alot. He has become quite civilized now. Still he is lazy though and needs to be told to wash the car. He is improving and that is why we still kept him.

Then is Bablu: He is our driver in Delhi. He drove the Innova and now drives the i10. He was very very safe guy with superb control. He is always on time. He also dresses appropriately. He is quite a gentleman as well. But off late, his driving is changing a bit. He is becoming fast, which isnt the problem, but he is also becoming a little rash. He maintains the cars very well.

Is there anything known as "a good chauffeur"? I am unaware of such a breed for quite some time.

How is your chauffeur? What are the points you consider when choosing one?
Quite frankly, you are expecting a lot from your average chauffer. Today, most of the so called chauffers you get in bombay, are people who do not value or enjoy their jobs. That I feel is the crux of the problem.

I never look down on any of our drivers and in fact we as a family try and help out our loyal drivers a lot both in monetary compensation and in other ways.

However, our most loyal drivers had to leave the job due to un-forseen circumstances. Now, I have cut down on the drivers from four to just one. Tried out a lot of guys... some via recommendations... some via the driver supplying services. None worked out. None of the drivers knew how to drive. Seriously sad but predicted situation.

My dad drove by himself for a year, before he gave up due to the stress of traffic. Finally found a young chap who was honest and dumb. Just what I needed :)

I taught him the basics of driving (he just knew how to operate the clutch and gears.. nothing else), and it turns out, he has very good road sense. Only problem is he tends to drive like a rickshaw driver. However, I am trying to teach him whenever I can. It will take some time but I believe I will be able to mold him to our requirements.

Hope he remains with us since his aspirations are to drive german machines... which sadly we are not able to fulfil.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. the ideal chauffer you described are available in bombay but they command a premium. Serious premium..

Quite frankly, you are expecting a lot from your average chauffer. Today, most of the so called chauffers you get in bombay, are people who do not value or enjoy their jobs. That I feel is the crux of the problem.

I never look down on any of our drivers and in fact we as a family try and help out our loyal drivers a lot both in monetary compensation and in other ways.

However, our most loyal drivers had to leave the job due to un-forseen circumstances. Now, I have cut down on the drivers from four to just one. Tried out a lot of guys... some via recommendations... some via the driver supplying services. None worked out. None of the drivers knew how to drive. Seriously sad but predicted situation.

My dad drove by himself for a year, before he gave up due to the stress of traffic. Finally found a young chap who was honest and dumb. Just what I needed :)

I taught him the basics of driving (he just knew how to operate the clutch and gears.. nothing else), and it turns out, he has very good road sense. Only problem is he tends to drive like a rickshaw driver. However, I am trying to teach him whenever I can. It will take some time but I believe I will be able to mold him to our requirements.

Hope he remains with us since his aspirations are to drive german machines... which sadly we are not able to fulfil.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. the ideal chauffer you described are available in bombay but they command a premium. Serious premium..
What usually happens is, you teach him,he becomes an excellent driver, then he leaves.

1) A well dressed and well behaved gentleman who is well spoken too. I definitely wont prefer goons. Also, someone who does not smoke or chew tobacco is another requirement of mine.
2) Secondly, the guy should be dependable so that I can trust him to send my family members on a longer trip.
3) The guy should be punctual.
4) Most importantly, he should be a good driver. ...
Raj, you just explained the desired qualities of any employee, not just a chauffeur. Well behaved, dependable, punctual - the first 3 points directly apply to anyone - house maid or a CEO. The 4th point is the technical skill part. He should be good in programming (if the employee is a software programmer), or knows different styles of cooking (chef) etc.

And, you are right, it is difficult to get good guys now a days. I'm an HR Manager of an IT company. It is difficult to get good guys, same if not more, as it is difficult to get a good chauffeur.

What usually happens is, you teach him,he becomes an excellent driver, then he leaves.
Yes. Again, true in every field.

Only thing we can do is to take care of them well, once you find a reasonably good guy. It doesn't guarantee that they will stick with you, but without that no chance.

This thread reminds me of a chauffeur named Babloo, he was the first chauffeur who became a good friend of mine and taught me to drive. He was a 19 year old boy who had no DL. We payed for all the expenses and his DL was made. Back in year 2000 my uncle bought an used maruti 800. No one in uncle's house including the chauffeur knew driving. Slowly he learnt driving and the other family members too.
Also he used to bring fruits and vegetables which he stole from small farms while going for morning walk. [;)] We enjoyed lots of highway drives in that car and he used to climb up trees along highways to pick fruits etc and made funny comments on slow drivers or the auto wallas. He was a decent driver and followed traffic rules.
Whenever we used to go to some place and he had to sit inside the car he popped up the hood and tried to learn something about the engine. At that time I was just 12 years old and he taught me driving and some basic maintenance.

Top Bottom