Transaction Declined But Cash Deducted From Debit Card!

Thread Starter #1
Friends,

During my recent Chennai trip we stayed in a hotel in Periamet near Chennai central railway station. Name of the hotel was "Hotel Pearl International". During check in the receptionist asked me to pay Rs 2500 as advance. My wife asked me to use her debit card to pay the money. So i handed over my wife's debit card to the receptionist to swipe in their swiping machine. He swiped and asked for the PIN no and i entered the PIN no. He waited for sometime and told me that the transaction was declined. So finally i paid in cash. Next day while checking my wife's account we found that Rs 2500 deducted from my wife's account. Immediately we came to the hotel and told the receptionist about the same. Then he checked in their account and showed me all the transaction of that particular day. They dint receive the money from my wife's account. The manager of the hotel assured us that the money will come back to account within 4 days and he told if it does not come they will return the amount to my wife's account.

The above incident was happened on 15th Oct'13 around 7PM. Today is 20th Oct. My wife is really tensed now.

So friends any sugestion / comment?

thanks in advance

Re: Transaction declined but amount deducted from debit card - Suggestions please

Do not worry, it has happened several times with my debit card as well as credit card. Once an amount around 20K. It will be revert back for sure but if you are really tensed, make a call with bank and inquire about it.

Also if internet banking is active then raise a concerned around declined transaction and you will definitely get a reply.

I believe, this is a case of ICICI Bank :)

Thread Starter #3
Re: Transaction declined but amount deducted from debit card - Suggestions please

Thank you Alok for immediate response. Actually it is SBI debit card. Can you please tell how long it takes to get the money back?

Thank you Alok for immediate response. Actually it is SBI debit card. Can you please tell how long it takes to get the money back?
I faced this situation at least 5 times and all money got returned back in 48 hours to 72 hours. But better talk to Bank if it is delayed.

Thread Starter #5

I faced this situation at least 5 times and all money got returned back in 48 hours to 72 hours. But better talk to Bank if it is delayed.
ok. In my case already 72 hrs over. Anyways tomorrow i will talk to the bank.
thank you

@djd,

No need to be tensed.this happens for all and definitely it will get credited in 5 to 6 business days.

But since its public sector bank, there will be a delay.please talk to customer care right now.There is 24/7 customer care no for all banks and get the service request created. They will make you relieved.

I have faced similar situation on May 2013, Money has gone to something called as suspension. I have taken a letter from the concerned mall stating that the money has not got deposited on mall 's account. I need to submit the letter to bank and talk with the bank officials.

In you case, talk with the hotel manager and ask him to send an email to you stating about swipe and non deposition of money. Take a printout and submit it to the bank and ask the bank to do the needful and follow the matter till you get money back on your wife's account.

Thread Starter #8

@djd,

No need to be tensed.this happens for all and definitely it will get credited in 5 to 6 business days.

But since its public sector bank, there will be a delay.please talk to customer care right now.There is 24/7 customer care no for all banks and get the service request created. They will make you relieved.
I have faced similar situation on May 2013, Money has gone to something called as suspension. I have taken a letter from the concerned mall stating that the money has not got deposited on mall 's account. I need to submit the letter to bank and talk with the bank officials.

In you case, talk with the hotel manager and ask him to send an email to you stating about swipe and non deposition of money. Take a printout and submit it to the bank and ask the bank to do the needful and follow the matter till you get money back on your wife's account.
thank you friends for the suggestions. Tomorrow i will talk to the bank and if they want any proof i will get a mail from the hotel.

Even I had face a similar situation once with SBI ATM . I had received 500 Rs less. I immediately called up the branch and they said that they will check & shall revert if one note is less. It took almost 3 days for them but yes finally 500 rs were credited back to my account.

Friends,

During my recent Chennai trip we stayed in a hotel in Periamet near Chennai central railway station. Name of the hotel was "Hotel Pearl International". During check in the receptionist asked me to pay Rs 2500 as advance. My wife asked me to use her debit card to pay the money. So i handed over my wife's debit card to the receptionist to swipe in their swiping machine. He swiped and asked for the PIN no and i entered the PIN no. He waited for sometime and told me that the transaction was declined. So finally i paid in cash. Next day while checking my wife's account we found that Rs 2500 deducted from my wife's account. Immediately we came to the hotel and told the receptionist about the same. Then he checked in their account and showed me all the transaction of that particular day. They dint receive the money from my wife's account. The manager of the hotel assured us that the money will come back to account within 4 days and he told if it does not come they will return the amount to my wife's account.

The above incident was happened on 15th Oct'13 around 7PM. Today is 20th Oct. My wife is really tensed now.

So friends any sugestion / comment?

thanks in advance
Nothing to worry, it maybe due to network issues. Generally, such failed transactions will be reversed in about 7 days time. MNC Banks like Citibank do it in couple of days too. However, since it's SBI, we can't expect it to be that efficient. Please check with the Bank Branch after about 7 days from the transaction date. You may have to visit them with courtesy couple of times, but will get it back. Don't worry.

Not to worry. It will be reverted back , but might take upto 30 days some times[frustration]

Thread Starter #12

Nothing to worry, it maybe due to network issues. Generally, such failed transactions will be reversed in about 7 days time.
Not to worry. It will be reverted back , but might take upto 30 days some times[frustration]
thank you friends. 7 days is fine. Lets wait for one week and see. But 30 days is too much I guess

thank you friends. 7 days is fine. Lets wait for one week and see. But 30 days is too much I guess
It happened for my friend for his SBI debit card for cash withdrawal in a private bank ATM.

Even our TAI member Varun had a similar issue with his debit card, but the customer care from bank was pathetic. It was Axis Bank. He never got back that 3K.

They said that they can go ahead and investigate the issue, if they find that he has swiped the card at that outlet then it would be treated as a false claim and hence the twice the amount will be charged as penalty! So if the claim fails, he would have lost another 6k!

Varun: Any update regarding that?

I too faced the same when I swiped my Ing vysya card at Mega mart, the machine showed some error so I swiped my other card. After a few minutes after reaching the parking lot I got a message that 3k has been debited. I went back and asked and called the manager. He took out the receipt of last one hour's transactions. But could not find my card number there.

Finally I called the customer care, they told that it is debited but not credited to the particular account (mega mart). They assured that the money wil be credited back in 4 working days. Now comes the twist. A person from the Customer care calls me and tells that if you need to investigate on the transaction they would take 45 days and also if it was found that it was invalid they would charge me 3 k for the investigation charges & penalty too (forgot the amount charged for that).

So finally I decided to leave it as I was sure that I would lose another 3 so finally I would lose 6 k.

Last edited:

Top Bottom