Casual Approach By Delhi Firefighting Department

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
100, 101 and 102. These are the three numbers on which every Indian relies during an emergency. Ever wondered what if they do not turn up on time? It clearly defeats the purpose of having one. That’s what I experienced last night in a shocking incident when out of nowhere the air conditioner stabilizer caught fire in my home. This incident occurred at around 11 PM which wasn’t late night. I quickly dialed 101 to call up the fire brigade. At first, no one picked up the phone. On second time, a typical lazy clerk received the call. He presented a long list of questions and took his own sweet time to note down the answers while being rude at the same time. We managed to control the fire on time and after a short while a couple of local police cars arrived too. Any signs of a fire brigade were still far and beyond, which was also a matter of shock to cops. A fire department personnel called back more than half an hour later to ask for directions but never arrived after realizing that the fire is in control. What puts me further into a shock is that all this happened in spite of having not one but two fire stations nearby with maximum 10 minute distance. Glad that with the right measures, we were able to stop the fire. Such accidents could happen with anyone and anytime. It raises several questions about the authorities. Do they expect someone to answer a long questionnaire when he is trapped right in middle of a fire? Indeed, I’m depressed and stunned with such a ridiculously casual approach of Delhi Fire Department.

Firefighting Tips For Self Help:

Electric Fire:

> Terminate main connection through MCB.

> Quickly evacuate the vulnerable occupants.

> Remove all flammable items nearby fire if possible.

> Throw sand on the burning equipment (Break flower pots for sand).

> Pouring water is not recommended. Use a fire extinguisher instead (Usually available in cars).

Organic Fire:

> Source bucket full of water and pour it on the fire.

> Throw sand on the flames (Break flower pots for sand).

> Efficiently use a fire extinguisher by evenly spraying it against the fire.

> Use a fire safety blanket. Note all blankets won’t work (such as synthetic).

Liquid Fire:

> Use a fire safety blanket. Note all blankets won’t work (such as synthetic).

> Pouring water is not recommended. Use a fire extinguisher instead (Usually available in cars).

Note: Allow sufficient ventilation by opening doors and windows to prevent suffocation. Immediately call 101 in India to seek professional assistance.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks for the tips,350z. Recently I was also pushing my parents to buy a fire-extinguisher for home ,your post gives me more reasons for convincing them.Sad to see the response of the Fire department,they are generally very efficient,in some cases more than the local police.A change in government is long impending[cry].

changing the government isn't the answer to a sloppy fire fighting department. evenif a new government comes they will have the same attitude.

This is really a very sorry state state of affair! We lead a compromised state of life - bad roads, bad facilities - its an endless list really. But an essential life saving aspect in such a shabby state of compromise is quite simply very very sad (and devastating)!

We can keep blaming everyone, but computer users and largely the educated (and IT folks ) need to go out exercise their votes - unfortunately we arent the real vote bank! The word good governance might not exist in a dictionary anymore !

I feel sorry to be even paying income tax hearing this episode!

Last edited:

Top Bottom