Editing / Hiding Number Plates While Uploading Pictures

Thread Starter #1

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i have seen many people hiding plates in a very odd way.

i don't know about you guys but it looks very odd and the first thing i notice are the number plates. :|

for example :

what i do and the results. i use normal paint software.

how to do this. just 4 simple steps.

1. open the picture in paint.

2. select the color picker from the tool menu.
Screenshot - 04-05-2013 , 16_04_41.png

go to the number plate and click once. this will select the color.

3. select the polygon tool from the shapes menu.
Screenshot - 04-05-2013 , 16_05_40.png

then select outline -> no outline.
select fill -> solid color.

4. go to the plate area starting from one corner. press the mouse button and drag the mouse to another corner ( you have to keep on pressing the mouse button )

release the mouse button and click at the 3rd corner ,closer to the 2nd corner and then click on the 4th.

done.

Last edited:
Re: Editing / Hiding Number Plates !

@allhyundaicar bro that's a good initiative , iam sure this will facilitate many people

@allhyundai cars: thanks for the info. I am not a techie and also too lazy to explore options available on the computer. When i posted my Corolla altis ownership thread, I took a piece of white paper and covered the number plates and took the snaps. [:)]
I didn't bother that also when I posted the pics of my accent or xenon .. If I may not sound greedy, can u tell me how to do on a Mac, I don have a Windows .[roll]

Thread Starter #4

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
hey vikram. you revived an old thread [lol] i am sorry but i havent used a mac. maybe some other member can help you.

If anyone has Photoshop (windows or mac), select the number plate area with the rectangular marquee tool and go to filters>Blur>motion blur. This will add blur and one can add strength and reduce strength of the blur accordingly.

That a good idea. I'll try it and then check it. I believe even the humble paint on windows can let you do it. But then it entails an additional few minutes on each picture verses a few seconds.

WARNING Dont Post your Car Image with license plates

Most of us know that many details can be gathered from license plate number by entering the License number in Vaahan websites, Vahan SMS and Apps in Google Play Store. We believe that critical information like address of owner, chassis number etc are not shown and we are happy. It is true that Apps don't show all details but it pulls in ALL information and if you intercept the web traffic, you can get ALL information.
Eg:
This is the response I get from intercepting traffic from a App when I entered one of the License number from our forum. I won't name the person but have left enough clue so that the person will know:
license-plate.png
Critical details that you can get : Full address, First Name (Fathers Name in case of TN people), Full Chassis Number, All insurance details etc. While you can get all details through designated authorities, it is ridiculous that the government through its API is giving all information (albeit in encrypted form). Why does it give all information to even free sites and apps? It should truncate the information instead of relaying on third party to mask the information in final App output

Thread Starter #12

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: WARNING Dont Post your Car Image with license plates

Most of us know that many details can be gathered from license plate number by entering the License number in Vaahan websites, Vahan SMS and Apps in Google Play Store. We believe that critical information like address of owner, chassis number etc are not shown and we are happy. It is true that Apps don't show all details but it pulls in ALL information and if you intercept the web traffic, you can get ALL information.
Eg:
This is the response I get from intercepting traffic from a App when I entered one of the License number from our forum. I won't name the person but have left enough clue so that the person will know:
View attachment 234251
Critical details that you can get : Full address, First Name (Fathers Name in case of TN people), Full Chassis Number, All insurance details etc. While you can get all details through designated authorities, it is ridiculous that the government through its API is giving all information (albeit in encrypted form). Why does it give all information to even free sites and apps? It should truncate the information instead of relaying on third party to mask the information in final App output
which app you used ? a government app ?any place to report this issue ?

Re: WARNING Dont Post your Car Image with license plates

which app you used ? a government app ?any place to report this issue ?
I checked with 2 private apps. I am not sure if I checked any government apps [;)]. However both the apps used the API provided by echallanweb.gov.in. I guess this API is used in Vahan and Sarathi too.
According to website,
e-Challan is a sophisticated software application comprising Android based mobile app and web interface, developed for the purpose of providing an comprehensive solution for Transport Enforcement Officers and Traffic Policemen. This app-cum application is integrated with Vahan and Sarathi applications and provides a number of user-friendly features while covering all major functionalities of Traffic Enforcement System.
I sent email to NIC (National Informatics Centre) yesterday. Haven't got any reply yet. May be they will rectify silently. Sometimes I am not sure if posting the flaws are worth it, because this government has been attacking the messenger instead of solving the problems as far as cyber-security is concerned.

Hi,

as simple as using the paint software, i suggest a website tool available online for free. what it does it blurs the number plate. you need to draw a rectangle around the area you want to pixelate and blur on the image originally. check it out @ https://www.facepixelizer.com/

i find this a neat option before i read about the paint tool in this post.[thumbsup]

Top Bottom