How To End Violence Against Women?

Thread Starter #1
How to End Violence Against Women?

Are Indian women really so disempowered that we must discuss this today on Women’s Day? I think Yes.

New Delhi: Every 2 hours, a woman in Delhi is molested or raped
Candles were lit, angry speeches made and copious tears shed after December's gang rape of a young woman in south Delhi, and vows of change rang out. But less than three months on, things are getting worse, not better, for the capital region’s women. All promises of better policing and
protection are ringing horribly hollow.
March 08, 2013,Hindustan Times
Faridabad: Woman raped after being offered lift
A Delhi-based woman was allegedly raped by an unidentified man in Faridabad after being offered lift from him, police said on Friday.
March 08, 2013,Hindustan Times
Thiruvananthapuram: A three-year-old girl has had two surgeries at a Kozhikode hospital and doctors say she could take months to recover, after she was kidnapped while asleep next to her mother and raped in Mallapuram district of Kerala.
March 07, 2013, NDTV
iwd.jpg

We,Indians have been moving away from our tradition, the moral values in us got deteriorated and above all, the double standards and hypocracy prevailing in the society should have caused this increase in crime against women.

Despite country-wide outrage and debate on crime against women galvanising the government into framing tougher anti-rape laws, more rapes are being reported by the day.

Take a look at the MSN's Survey on Men: A glimmer of hope

In the run-up to International Women’s Day, MSN set out to bring men into the conversation about the safety and well-being of Indian women. They were invited to take a survey that would help assess the male perspective on an issue that has the entire nation’s attention. MSN brings you the results of the survey that provide valuable insights and will, hopefully, pave the way towards empowering the Indian woman.

1. Some men are conditioned to view women as victims and to harass them, is what 48 % of respondents (1896 votes) believed was the main cause of the violence, especially rape, against women. Which underlines the case for a multi-pronged approach to gender sensitisation. There’s no doubt that the male mindset must change if women are to go about their lives in safety and dignity.
2. A significant number of responses, 33 %, felt that weak laws pertaining to rape were the reason for the violence.
3. Only a negligible 4 % thought that the violence is because women are vulnerable,
4. while the 15 % who said women invite violence by being provocatively dressed or behaving promiscuously pointed to the reality that chauvinistic attitudes still prevail.
Let me conclude here by quoting a few lines written by Shivani Ojha,Bekasi, West Java in her letter.

As the world commemorates International Women’s Day on March 8, let us take an opportunity to ponder the significance of the day. Women are indeed one of the finest creations in nature. In fact, nature manifests its splendor in the form of womankind. She is the creator of life.

Women are the epitome of love, compassion, selflessness, beauty and devotion; and although physically weaker, nature has bestowed her with great emotional and mental strength and extreme endurance.
wn 2.jpg
"No law or movement can help to resolve this issue until common people like us take the initiative to change the situation.

“Be the change that you want to see.” Respect women and encourage your children to do the same".

Resources:
ttp://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/03/08/your-letters-the-significance-women-s-day.html

http://www.eurasiareview.com/08032013-womens-day-let-us-think-positive-today-oped/

http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/3-year-old-kidnapped-while-sleeping-and-raped-in-kerala-339260

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/NewDelhi/Every-2-hours-a-woman-in-Delhi-is-molested-or-raped/Article1-1022970.aspx

Faridabad: Woman raped after being offered lift - Hindustan Times

MSN Survey results: Glimmer of hope amidst male chauvinism - Womens Special News | News | MSN India

Thread Starter #2
"Stop this disrespect! Measure the presence of women in our existence with required dignity! Protect them that fall unfortunate victims to savage inhuman intent and stand tough against them who raise their hands to defile them," the 70-year-old posted on his blog.

"Despite great awareness ideals that have taken space and demonstration among the society, the atrocities continue with abandon. Great introspection needs to be done to fathom the reason and the continuous disregard for all that should be looked upon as an evil.

"I will not agree with the reasoning that such incidents happen all over the world or whether the statistics favour another region or not. I am interested in why it is happening at all,"

"Will ring the bell for a world where women feel safe, free, and secure. One million men make one million promises to end violence against women this year. What's yours? There is a cause that needs support. There is a call that needs attention. And there is a heart that needs to be heard,"
- Amitabh Bachchan

Women's Day: Stop disrespecting women, urges Amitabh Bachchan - The Times of India

Unless we stop thinking that we are the greater sex this violence against women wouldn't stop, Most of all the males forget that they were given birth by a woman, and when you respect/show affection to a woman at home, why not respect/care for all the same ways

Any one cannot become a Man, only the one who respects and shows the courtesy with his fellow being becomes a Real Man

It's the above aspect which is highlighted in bold is taken out from a person he is not a human but just a Wild Animal and never mind this wild animal would someday be treated the same way by another wild animal or a by a Hunter, What you sow is what you reap

BE GOOD and THINK GOOD

By the way Manoj a very good initiative to start this thread[clap], you have done your part and the rest is by helping all to develop the same respectful Conscience towards women

Last edited:
Unity is the way to fight. If only one real man fights against thugs and so called 'dons' of the area then he will get killed. None of us is as good as all of us.

How to End Violence Against Women?

Are Indian women really so disempowered that we must discuss this today on Women’s Day? I think Yes.
Manoj,

Hats off to you for potraying the sadest issue at hands of all Indians. [clap]

I personally feel that the law should be strengthen against the people who take women for granted, atleast so that it makes the people with the same mentalitly give a second thought before doing anything as this.

Unless we stop thinking that we are the greater sex this violence against women wouldn't stop, Most of all the males forget that they were given birth by a woman, and when you respect/show affection to a woman at home, why not respect/care for all the same ways

Any one cannot become a Man, only the one who respects and shows the courtesy with his fellow being becomes a Real Man

It's the above aspect which is highlighted in bold is taken out from a person he is not a human but just a Wild Animal and never mind this wild animal would someday be treated the same way by another wild animal or a by a Hunter, What you sow is what you reap

BE GOOD and THINK GOOD
Swift&furious,

Well said buddy. [clap]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
What you sow is what you reap
BE GOOD and THINK GOOD
Thanks SnF and very well said.

I always felt bad whenever I saw or read anything going against women. The root cause for the ill treatment happening to women is the prevalent inequality and discrimination in our society IMHO.

Even in families, be it wife, sister or mother to some extend, she deserves a much much better treatment from the rest,from all of us,the so called mighty Men.

Two years ago, I had a new colleague from our country,joining us in China. He was a PhD holder in Econ. But in his conversations, he always took pride in saying that in his family women never went out on their own, even to the nearby shop. They are not allowed to speak up while any important decision is being made.I assume this could be the case in most part of rural india.[frustration]

Manoj,
I personally feel that the law should be strengthen against the people who take women for granted, atleast so that it makes the people with the same mentalitly give a second thought before doing anything as this.
Thanks Fyzy09.
Good way to end the animal behaviour. But with the current state of ridiculously corrupted bureaucracy,it just becomes impractical unless there is a complete purification and structural overhaul.

Lets all take a pledge to lend the support, a helping hand to woman, which she needs at present in India very badly, unfortunately . Lets us start treating them at least as well as how you treat yourself. Give her the much needed support and the well deserved RESPECT ,be it at your home, office or any other public place.

thanks.

Last edited:
I go with the words of Swift&furious, rightly said man.

International Women's Day (8 March) is an occasion marked by women's groups around the world.

This date is also commemorated at the United Nations and is designated in many countries as a national holiday.

To ensure about women safety Pepper spray is been distributed to each individuals in our company this is how they celebrated womens day.

But with the current state of ridiculously corrupted bureaucracy,it just becomes impractical unless there is a complete purification and structural overhaul.
Rightly said, but what should be done for the complete purification and structural overhaul to occur?? [frustration]

Its just that you need that fighting spirit in social level, and happy to really see more of such people [clap]

Movies showing men bossing over women isn't cool anymore, as there are already more uncivilized/civilized human beasts who take harassing/teasing women as a sport and they only get charged up when they see their idols doing it on screen

I have seen some worst scenes in some movies where the hero of the movie teases or molests the heroine in the name of romance, how disgusting it should be

To be even more worse this happens even when the hero is (aged above 50 Years) and the heroine who is (18 Years) the age of his daughter, come on where is our culture heading to or does the hero leaves his brain at home when he comes for a shoot ... No words when i see such heroes and even worse their fans ..

Thread Starter #10
Its just that you need that fighting spirit in social level, and happy to really see more of such people [clap]
+1000

Lets not have the “let it be” attitude.

Hyderabadi women responded to the incident of a girl who had to jump out of a moving auto to escape rape, saying public modes of transport like RTC buses and MMTS trains are far from safe. Shockingly, instances of eve-teasing in public transport are so common, they said, that they have now given up all hope of a change in the situation and decided it is better to just deal with it.
"Don't we have the right to move about freely in our own city?" asked Roshni Banerjee, a student of University of Hyderabad (UoH). "People are always staring no matter what time of the day it is, what clothes we are wearing or who we are with. Comments are passed every day, but there is not much I can do as the society and authorities look at these things as just petty incidents," she said.
  • It is this very "let it be" attitude that has forced city women to just accept their fate and learn to live with it.
  • Seventeen-year-old Lis Sanya Alexander carries chilli powder in her pocket whenever she travels by bus or train in case of an emergency, now she is planning to purchase pepper spray for self-defense.

Hyderabad women forced to live with 'let it be' - The Times of India

Please make use of the social media and public online forums to good effect and show the ugly faces of those animals to the world.

Below posted a great job done by Bangalore police taking action against a couple of eve-teasers spotted on face book. Hats off to Bangalore Police for having done this wonderful job.[clap]

Bangalore City Police Takes Action Against Eve teasers through Facebook

Bangalore-City-Police-eve-teasers.png
Bangalore City Police Takes Action Against Eve teasers through Facebook
Hope police in the rest of india too takes this as a model and act proactively for this very big cause.

Lets all be part of the movement to bring out a social change for a greater good.

Last edited:
I recommend the middle east rule against the Rapists to be implemented in India.
recommended to perform it openly at a public place.
This will bring some fear on the beasts before thinking of an attempt on our sisters.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
How To End Violence Against Women?-Death for all four in December 16 gangrape

Delhi gang-rape: death penalty for crime that "shocked collective conscience"-NDTV
Has Justice been delivered?[roll]
These morons can deny the charges against them and can still appeal against the verdict to the High Court and then the Supreme Court. From there, they can decide whether to ask the president for clemency. All these could easily take many years.

It is good that those tough new laws against rape made sure a kind of short-term revenge being accomplished.[clap]Hope that the verdict is executed at the earliest without much delay.[evil]

Last edited:
I recommend the middle east rule against the Rapists to be implemented in India.
recommended to perform it openly at a public place.
This will bring some fear on the beasts before thinking of an attempt on our sisters.
Thats what I was going to post

One who commits crime should get the penalty the way the crime was committed.

If it was a robbery , chop the hands off

If someone killed anyone , in the middle of the city execute

if someone rapes , should get death penalty nice and easy!

Women in India are not safe , my few girl mates went to India from Aus and they were terrified. They bought some capsicum sprays to carry with them .

This applies to the people who are driving fast and not following the rules . If you speed , you put yours and others life in danger too. If one is caught speeding should have their License cancelled and the vehicle bound for atleast 6 months.

Speeding rules are in action in Melbourne Australia , If you are caught doing burnouts , illegal drag race, speeding - your license gets cancelled for atleast 3 months and if anything illegal than vehicle is bound and remains in Police custody

@Manoj

A good thread and I missed it for long. I do not want to lecture anything here as most of the things are known to every body. But would like to say very crisp which we need to think about seriously

1. Governments should punish the guilty bit faster and bit serious. Hanging a person will not yield any result. Make them to live in the country but make them guilty in front of every body, they should feel the guiltiness from the society every day till their life ends. There are so many ways of doing it, a social boycott, put some badge on their forehead saying they are worst people on the earth, something like that. And ofcourse this all should be done under police custody, take them all across the country and show them in a town for whole day something like that

2. We need to discuss this issues among our friends circles and take up strong and effective campaign to educate people on these kind of things. This should be continuous process

3. Most important thing is the parents, brothers, teachers should take the responsibility of educating the girls and women about proper dressing, I know lot of people will ask me about the freedom of dressing, but I know that you all know the answer and I do not need to explain what it is[:)]

"Mera bharat Mahaan"

First and for most, Men should change his attitude, outlook and thinking for women.
Secondly strict law for such crimes will create fear among the culprit.

And who ever says that girls should not wear clothes that arouse the men to do such crime, then he should also take into consideration that many rapes happen in the areas and places where womans wear only sarees and that also have ghungat all the time covering their face.

Top Bottom