DIY Tips For Removing Rust from Old Car?

Re: Removing rust on old car.

Keep it as it is till the time, you feel that you have became a responsible driver and came out of habit of crashing!.
whats the point getting rid of rust and thinking about bodywork, unless there are no new crashes everyday![evil]

Thread Starter #3
Re: Removing rust on old car.

Keep it as it is till the time, you feel that you have became a responsible driver and came out of habit of crashing!.
whats the point getting rid of rust and thinking about bodywork, unless there are no new crashes everyday![evil]
I'm not so bad, I bump around 2-5 times a month. I have only had 2 medium damage accidents and 2 severe damage accidents. So its not like everyday and I was thinking if I could get the car to look better.

zengetz

Suspended
Re: Removing Rust on Old Car.

Not sure how you are picking up a rusted car ? Its a MOT fail in the UK, be careful of who's selling it to you.

Take it for an MOT test and see if it passes. You wont get a road tax if your MOT does not go through.

Hope this helps.

Thread Starter #5
Re: Removing Rust on Old Car.

Not sure how you are picking up a rusted car ? Its a MOT fail in the UK, be careful of who's selling it to you.

Take it for an MOT test and see if it passes. You wont get a road tax if your MOT does not go through.

Hope this helps.
Decided against the car, its too old . 1985 Peugeot 205.

How To Get Rid of Corrosion on Bull Bar?

Hi Folks

How to remove the Corrosion in Bull bar,. it's looks like a ugly

Give some suggest how to remove Corrosion in personally

Re: How To Get Rid of Corrosion on Bull Bar?

@prakashjga, well, you can use white vinegar to wipe the area that got rust. As this process removes small amount of rust, it is useful when rusting is minimum. but if you have large patches of rust in bullbar then scrapping the the rusted part with Steel-wool or sandpapers are the options left. after removing the rust I'd suggest you to paint the area with a little bit of Aluminium paint to prevent further rusting. It may not look great but still better than a rust patch in a shiny bullbar.:-)I have applied those methods on my Premier Padmini bumpers. Some people suggests application of baking soda+water paste on the rusted part. But i haven't tried this method.

DIY - Remove rust from body parts

My Lancer having some rust spots on the body parts. I want to do it myself using Spray paints available through Ebay.

Please let me know what are the things required like Metal Paste, etc. (with brand names) to remove rust and buffing.

Suggestions from TAI-ns apprecieated.

Thanks in advance.

If the rust is thick it's better to rub out the rust using sand paper first. Then you could apply some phosphoric acid to remove the remaining rust because sometimes it's difficult to remove all the rust by sanding. The acid will react with rust & metal and form Black-Blue color Iron Phosphate. The reaction may take few hours depending on the amount of rust you have. Then you could clean the area with a brush and remove the residues of Iron Phosphate. If you see more rust after removing the residue you’ll have to apply the acid again. (Sometimes the residue will be too hard to remove by brush. In that case you’ll have to sand it out to get the surface uniform for painting. Otherwise you don’t have to worry about the Iron Phosphate residue because you could paint it over without any issue)

The advantage of using phosphoric acid is it forms thin layer of Iron Phosphate which is insoluble in water which protects the metal from further rusting and you could paint over this layer after cleaning the remaining acid. And it reacts with rust fast and slowly with the bare metal so you don’t have to worry about the damage to the bare metal. (But there will be a reaction between the bare metal and the acid and the resulting Iron Phosphate layer is thin so you’ll only notice small change in the color of the bare metal)

I recently used this to get rid of rust in my Maruti 800 for DIY painting job which saved me from lots of sanding and it made sure that no rust is left out. I used 85% v/v Phosphoric acid without further diluting it. And if you plan to dip any metal part in the acid you could do it but keep an eye on it and don’t leave it more than few hours. (Time depends on the amount of acid you use and the size of the metal part you dip)

Attachments

Hey that's a cool idea Charithao but I think it will be not a good idea on applying this formula on good cars like honda or toyota as they might look ugly.

I tried the 1000 sand paper rubbing and then applying the specific COM-PAINT. It worked decently and aleast vanished the scratch.

But this COM-PAINT is cobra paint and not durable and there is no Dupoint spray paint which is the best one in the market..so no permanent solution except to repaint the whole part from an expert person.

Hey that's a cool idea Charithao but I think it will be not a good idea on applying this formula on good cars like honda or toyota as they might look ugly.

I tried the 1000 sand paper rubbing and then applying the specific COM-PAINT. It worked decently and aleast vanished the scratch.

But this COM-PAINT is cobra paint and not durable and there is no Dupoint spray paint which is the best one in the market..so no permanent solution except to repaint the whole part from an expert person.
Actually I found this on the internet. It seems lots of westerners are using this. That's why I tried it out. Most of the rust removal solutions in the market has Phosphoric acid. And I have seen in most of the tutorials on DIY paint jobs they recommend using mineral acids (Phosphoric acid is one of them) to clean up the surface of the bare metals for rust because sanding doesn't wipe out everything. There might be tiny amount of rust left on the sheet metal which our eyes couldn't recognize. So it doesn't matter which cars you gonna apply it. There is some info wiki too. Phosphoric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this only removes the rust. After that you have to prime it and apply paint on it as you do in a normal paint job.

Last edited:

Top Bottom