Originally Posted by sunny2525
My white beauty (i10 1.2 magna) is just a month old and driven only 1500 kms. I love everything of my car looks, interiors, finishing, mileage, engine etc. except one thing The echo humming noise from tires. I know some noise comes from all tires but this is unbearable in my car. Also i don't have any ICE installed in my car yet, may be that's the reason. Specially on long drives. I got it checked from dealership twice but they say its normal and they can't do anything about it.
Is the problem in the tires or every tyre produce some noise. What can i do to shut off this sound. I can't understand what to do. Hope you guys suggest some good solution.
It can be the tyres but faulty wheel bearings is one of the cause too. I had got mine replaced on a new car twice in the year 2009.
If you can do a little effort on your own you can actually do a self test. Since you will be doing this in your garage you will have to jack the car 4 times one tire up each time.
Procedure (prepferably with 2 guys)
1. Engage the car into some gear preferrably 1st or 2nd or reverse.
2. release parking brake
3. Lift one of the rear end with jack
4. ask your friend to spin the wheel as fast as he can.
4. Put 2 of your fingers below the coil spring just touch the coil springs dont press you fingers on them
5. If the bearing has gone kaput you will feel "kat-kat-kat" like small vibrations on your finger.
6. Repeat this on the other rear end.
7. When doing the same thing on front end, disengage the gears and put the car on parking brakes. Parking brakes are on the rear wheels only.
If you don't want to spend this amount of effort request the service advisor to put you car on 2 or 4 post lift and then you can DIY it there as you have all the wheels above the ground and you can inspect them one by one.
Hope this will help you.