Midlife Maintenence - Need Advice

Thread Starter #1
Hi, Myself Sougata from Durgapur, West Bengal. I am a Proud Owner of a Maruti Zen. It is a 2005 MPFI Zen. Now it has completed 92000 KMs. I am the 2nd owner. I took it during 2014. I am planning for a overall checkup and engine maintenance. During Nov'2016 it had a overall maintenance.

But now I am facing a major problem. Whenever I am going out during a heavy rain after some time I find the floor mat is wet.[confused]. I thought there might be some whole due to under-body rust, but that is also not possible as during 2016 I had a under-body coat to prevent rust if there is any. When I discussed the matter with my mechanic he said there may be some whole in the dash area or the engine bay from where the water is coming in and making the mat damp. He suggested to open the dash and the floor mat to look for any whole and to repaint the floor and the underbody. The job is pending. I need advice/opinion from you people.

There are some regular jobs also like Clutch plate change. So I decided to go for a overall engine maintenance. Please give your opinion for what are the matters to look after.

Few months back I had some problems with the battery back up. So I changed the Dianamo & the battery and now it is working fine.

Though it is a old car (13 years) but I love to drive it. It is my 1st car and since it is a Zen, so I am planning to keep it for another 5-7 years at least. Because still now it is quite fun and safe to drive it and go for a long way.

So I ask for your expert advice for the matters to look after during this midlife thorough maintenance.
Also after this maintenance I am planning to install Central Lock and Keyless Entry system as those are not there in the car. Please advice.
Thanks in Advance

What it needs is a complete Restoration. As you are planning to keep for 5 years from now, its worth it.

1.Full Painting (Internal as well as external ,preferably strip of all interior components and paint), this will help in finding rust based holes and cracks if any.
I expect it to come around 30k( In Trivandrum , I had painted one of my fiesta for 30k)

2.All suspension and handling components may be checked ,and appropriate measures can be done.( Most probably front strut may need replacement and rear shock )
Link rods and other components also may need replacement.It will cost within 25k

3.If it has power steering , check with its hyrdraulics (Oil seal ,Pump etc)

4.Tyres- Replace if necessary

5.Clutch (7k)-Clutch set + labour

Overall total restoration will come within 1L

Thread Starter #3
Thanks VISHNUCARCRAZY for your reply & detailed advice.

The outside paint of the car is OK. I am actually thinking for the floor painting from both inside (after removing the floor mat) and outside mainly to prevent rust if any.

The car does not have the Power Steering.

The Tyres & The Clutch need to be replaced.

Can you suggest me about the engine maintenance? I found here about engine flushing but I am confused will it be ok to go for Engine flush because it is already over 90K km.

Also I am planning to go for Remote Lock (though the car does not have the central locking system) and front Power Window of Autocop. Will it be ok?

Hello Sougata,
Please post some pictures of your car and things which look attention.

Tyres you can buy online at cheaper rates, check for delivery at your PIN code.

Clutch Kit and realted things should cost you 7K-8K including labour, again try to buy spares online or genuine MGP stores at Durgapur or Burdwan or Kolkata

If there is no problem with engine, do not touch it or open up. Just keep changing oils.

For remote lock and power window Autocop is one of the leading brands though there are others like Minda etc.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Hi, Myself Sougata from Durgapur, West Bengal. I am a Proud Owner of a Maruti Zen. It is a 2005 MPFI Zen. Now it has completed 92000 KMs. I am the 2nd owner. I took it during 2014. I am planning for a overall checkup and engine maintenance. During Nov'2016 it had a overall maintenance.

But now I am facing a major problem. Whenever I am going out during a heavy rain after some time I find the floor mat is wet.[confused]. I thought there might be some whole due to under-body rust, but that is also not possible as during 2016 I had a under-body coat to prevent rust if there is any. When I discussed the matter with my mechanic he said there may be some whole in the dash area or the engine bay from where the water is coming in and making the mat damp. He suggested to open the dash and the floor mat to look for any whole and to repaint the floor and the underbody. The job is pending. I need advice/opinion from you people.

There are some regular jobs also like Clutch plate change. So I decided to go for a overall engine maintenance. Please give your opinion for what are the matters to look after.

Few months back I had some problems with the battery back up. So I changed the Dianamo & the battery and now it is working fine.

Though it is a old car (13 years) but I love to drive it. It is my 1st car and since it is a Zen, so I am planning to keep it for another 5-7 years at least. Because still now it is quite fun and safe to drive it and go for a long way.

So I ask for your expert advice for the matters to look after during this midlife thorough maintenance.
Also after this maintenance I am planning to install Central Lock and Keyless Entry system as those are not there in the car. Please advice.
Thanks in Advance
the floor accumulation of water can be from missing or damages rubber grommets under the carpet also.Check and replace.Also water can come through the cowl area if they have corroded and the door rubber seals may have become hard .Check and replace if needed the car rubber seals in most places will deteriorate over time.

Thanks VISHNUCARCRAZY for your reply & detailed advice.

The outside paint of the car is OK. I am actually thinking for the floor painting from both inside (after removing the floor mat) and outside mainly to prevent rust if any.

The car does not have the Power Steering.

The Tyres & The Clutch need to be replaced.

Can you suggest me about the engine maintenance? I found here about engine flushing but I am confused will it be ok to go for Engine flush because it is already over 90K km.

Also I am planning to go for Remote Lock (though the car does not have the central locking system) and front Power Window of Autocop. Will it be ok?
autocop is good enough even i got it fitted on my 2005 M800. Works well !Wise suggestion from anshuman8.If engine is running fine donot fiddle with it and invite problems.MPFI engines are robust and run well .Regular oil changes and oil filters changes are suggested. Engine flush I wont consider doing for such an aged vehicle where seals may be on the weaker side.Cleaning the engine is good but will start new issues like misfiring etc.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Check wiper cowl area (under wiper black trims) for rust formation and holes. Its a known Achilles heel!
Also check floorboard under Scuff plates and under door laces, Another rust hotspot!

As everyone pointed out ,its better to leave the engine aside if it doesn't pose any issue (Moreover being an MPFI).

Check engine seals and engine mounts .

Engine flushing (Internal flushing)- Using engine flush liquids , can be done .

Some might do external flushing (In case of diesel engines , where engine is dimantled and is cleaned , that isn't needed)

Top Bottom