Strange Smell From Air Conditioner

Thread Starter #1
I own a hyundai i10 1.2. Since the last 3-4 days, I have been getting this problem. Whenever I turn on the AC a strange foul smell comes from the blower. But that smell fades out in around a minute or two.

Any idea why this happens?

I would be taking the car for my first free servicing shortly. I would be asking the SE to check and clean the A/c . Does A/c cleaning come under free servicing?

re: Strange Smell from AC

If the car is parked after switching off the AC during night, the water condenses and causes a small layer of water on the ac. When you switch on the ac, water turns into vapour causing this foul smell. Nothing to worry about.

Try to roll down windows, start the blower in full speed then roll up the windows and then switch on the ac, the smell should vanish.

Thread Starter #3

Thanks amiti. Relieved to know its not a major problem. I will start practising what you have suggested

Thread Starter #4

@Amiti - i did exactly what you said. The smell is not coming. its nice to know that the problem that you feel is complex has a simple soultion[:)]

You are welcome!. Don't take your vehicle quite often to service guys. They will just do some R&D and will charge you for same. Only if you have some problems which are not solvable then only go to service center.

Enjoy your ride and do post some pictures of your ride.

Yes i also used to get some foul smell in my Verna each time i switch on my AC. I just asked the service center guys to disinfect the AC vents , now the problem is gone!

But since your problem is already solved , no worries!

Thread Starter #7

@cooldhaya : How much does it cost to disinfect the AC vents? Can i get it done as part of the free servicing?

yeat that is bacterial act on water that cause the smell.

while idling at start just switch on the ac and run at full speed for about 5 min with windows open. that must be fine

Material for dis infectant is 1300/- and can be used twice and has a life of 6 month(as in the manual - wurth dis infectant)

And if we use less than recommended , hope we can use them thrice.
labours charges extra , may be.

and free if you practice a DIY
since it comes with tube and all other things necessary.Hope that must not be a big problem

I think they charged me Rs.800 for that , i don remember exactly!

If you want to get it at a cheaper rate , go to Carnation. They had a special offer sometime back. I got it done from them for my Safari for only Rs.400.

yeah , twice means two cars .
also it can be so called adjusted/draged/diluted etc etc for 3 cars

I was about to test the product , but opened up the cooling coil and cleaned (i was shocked to see the amount of dust err not dust must be mud .. err wait not mud ...it was slush kinda). Just a day or more with ac , it would have damaged my cooling coil.

My cooling coil was opened up my friendly ac mechanic , who adviced me to clean asap . i was giving excuse and so on and on and one day when he was free he himself cleaned them when i was out in my bike. the car was in garage. when i came he just opened up the coil and whoa the amount of dust paste i prefer calling them like that , " dust paste"
Luckily my car didnt use long drive+ ac after the chennai tai meet
even in return trip of chennai meet I didnt use ac as it was already pleasant outside and the bill i paid in Mitsubishi made my mind to drive without the ac.

After that it just local drive , with hardly 10 to 20 min of ac usage.

luckily my cooling coil was saved.

Thread Starter #11

@illango - The problem with DIY solutions is that it gives a license to the OEM service people to blame you if anything goes wrong in the A/c. They will then claim that the warranty is void since you had meddled with the a/c

@cooladhaya - thanks for the cost reference.

They cant in this case. you are going to insert the hose into the bottom part of dashboard , cooling coil area (you have provision ) and pour in.
that is all.

Authorised service are crap! they even blame the central locking for fixing the head unit from a accessory store.

Burning wood smell from my swift

For 4- 5 months there is a strange burning wood smell coming from A/C which lasts for few seconds and then disappears only to reoccur again.
The smell is smelt only in Re circulatory mode.The car is under warranty and I had shown it to MASS they said it is due to A/C gas - I am not convinced , so will show it to an Independent Garage.Any idea what could be the problem

@moderators -Instead of opening similar thread I have posted my query in this thread,Is it okay?if not please take appropriate action.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Burning wood smell from my swift

Do you use the air conditioner occasionally? And does the smell comes from A/C or Heater?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Strange Smell from AC

@350Z-The car is used occasionally maybe 3- 4 times a week with ocassional long drives of 15 km or more.
The smell is from both heater and A/C and is only smelt in Rec. mode.

Top Bottom