VW Vento External Dent Repair & Painting

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I am new to this forum and i have recently purchased metallic blue vento highline TDIy. Unfortunately i got a minor dent just below my door 2 days ago. I took to elite motors hosur road workshop in Bengaluru and the service manager informed me labour charges+painting will approx cost me 9400rs inclusive of taxes.

I went to a local garage called trend automobiles. This garage has very good reviews in Bangalore and when you speak with the owner he seems like he is someone who knows what he is doing

Only confusion is my car is of metallic blue and the showroom guys informed me they use water paint colours where as trend automobiles owner informed me they dont use water based color but he assured me from an end user no one can absolutely tell if its water painting or normal painting

If anyone had experience with Volkswagen vehicles being painted externally could you please let me know? Did you notice any difference between normal paint and volkswagen service shop water paints?

9k just for a small dent seems too much. The local garage is just charging me 4k

Thanks for any advice

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Vento external dent repair and painting

9k just for a small dent seems too much. The local garage is just charging me 4k
Hi buddy, Please post a pic of the car and the area of damage. Also, ASC are always on higher side with regards to repair jobs. Just check with the FNG if they will paint the car in a enclosure or in open area. Also, since it is metallic shade, so it is necessary that the workmanship has to be very good and precise in matching the color.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Hey Akash,

Thanks much for the response. Here are the images. The painting will be done in a closed area from what the manager of the local garage showed me. The showroom guys insist without water painting the car will give the glossier look if we used normal solvent based painting. However the local garage guys tell me there wont be much of a different. I am bit confused which option to choose since its a brand new car

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hey Akash,

Here are the images. The painting will be done in a closed area from what the manager of the local garage showed me. The showroom guys insist without water painting the car will give the glossier look if we used normal solvent based painting. However the local garage guys tell me there wont be much of a different. I am bit confused which option to choose since its a brand new car
So, its the lower part of front door and the running board of left side. I too got the similar area painted in my Maruti Esteem couple of days back from my uncle's ASC. Repainting the running board can be a tough call because this particular panel is welded to the frame of the car where as the lower part of the door can be easy to repaint. To avoid any apparent difference in OEM and FNG paint I would suggest you to first opt for normal rubbing compound and next go for dry denting i.e Paintless Dent Removal. If the results of it are not satisfactory then would suggest you to opt for the FNG shop for painting. Also, do supervise the job in person and make sure the FNG does not over-do the spray and clear coat on the body. Get the rubbing and polishing done properly too. And yes, there is always a minor difference in fresh painted and old painted surface no matter whether it's of OEM or FNG.

Regards

Akash

@venkyhack555
I have done body work at Trend Automobiles multiple times and they are good. But you will find difference in the paint albeit only if you look very carefully. I have a bad eye (or a good eye, the way one would look at it) and I was easily able to spot the paint difference. But not many are able to spot it. The difference becomes prominent as the years go by.

Coming to Elite Motors, I believe this is Volkswagen Bangalore. I have heard good reviews from my colleagues who bought and service their Ventos and Polos. But then again, factory finish can never be achieved no matter what. I did some body work at Ford and I can vouch for this fact.

The biggest challenge for you is the running board. OEM Service Centres cut this piece out, fix it (basically tinkering) and reweld it back. This can be an issue when you are selling the car and most dealers look for this reweld marks

PDR for the door is also a challenge as the dent is on the crease that runs on the door. This too has to go through the conventional route.

Almost all the body work quotes that I have asked in variety of OEM service centres over the years, the cost - 9400INR seems to be in the same ball park. The question though is that is this number fair. I dont know.

I just us Brasso metal polish on my car. Have to rub very hard to remove major scratches (if paint layer is still intact below the scratch). I have removed pretty bad looking scars from paint. Some scratches still remain, but they are not an eye sore any more unless you come to close, i could remove them by rubbing more, but I am too lazy.

Top Bottom