How To Remove Cellophane Tape Marks?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,
Recently a relative of mine used my car for a wedding. They did a lot of decoration with selefon tape. Now it has left a lot of black marks (with dust).
1. Can someone tell me what is the effective way to remove them without harming the paint?. I am worried about the paint.
2. Apart from this, there are a couple of spots with ribbon has left the color marks. ( i tried a lot. but it refuses to go.). is there a way to clean it? or is it too late to do so?

I would appreciate any help in this regard. I am little upset it because its a new car.

try some rubbing alcohol. it should help. Dab some rubbing alcohol on an old soft cloth say some old t-shirt etc. and then gently rub over the affected area.It should work.
WD40 also helps but it might be a more expensive affair !

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks teamsachinf1. the problem is that I dont drink. anyways i will buy a small quantity of alcohol today and give a try.
try some rubbing alcohol. it should help. Dab some rubbing alcohol on an old soft cloth say some old t-shirt etc. and then gently rub over the affected area.It should work.

bhvm

Honoured Member
thanks vijay. i am lost considering the no of options there.
any real world experience out there?
adithya, Ask the marriage people to donate you some money for using your car. Tell em you want 3m Detailing done![evil]

NO! Alcohol or spirit based products will dull the paint and dry out the gloss.

Thanks teamsachinf1. the problem is that I dont drink. anyways i will buy a small quantity of alcohol today and give a try.
Rubbing alcohol is poles part from Drinking one!

Anyways coming back to the topic, Do this-
Mix some washing powder (Nirma) into a cup full of warm water. It should be concentrated enough. Take an old sock, Dip it into the solution and RUB!
Finalize with Plentyfull of clean water (A garden hose would be good) and top off with some Turtle wax.

Please try WD 40 it works great .A large bottle of 400 ml costs 280 rs in Bangalore .Spray some onto a soft cloth and saturate the taped areas then wipe of with clean cloth and then wash out area with car detergent [:)].I had used the same method to remove windshield stickers given for office parking on my car

Thread Starter #13
Thanks a ton everyone for the advice. You guys rock. I was confused after seeing so many options. I went to a nearby car accessories shop and asked him to give something. He was honest enough to not mis sell any product and suggested me to try with petrol. But I was reluctant to use petrol. Finally saw Mr Boss's suggestion of coconut oil. (Luckily i had parachute hair oil :-)). Tried now and it worked like a charm. ( just 3 minutes). Everything gone and I am very happy. Many thanks Mr Boss and the rest. I appreciate it.

Finally saw Mr Boss's suggestion of coconut oil. (Luckily i had parachute hair oil :-)). Tried now and it worked like a charm. ( just 3 minutes). Everything gone and I am very happy.
Good to get the (positive) feedback.
Old school ways are always a safe bet, but little time consuming (than the latest technology) Some advantages of using coconut oil,
- Cheaper
- Easily available
- Non reactive
- Non foul smelling
- Lesser (quantity) consumption
- Acts as lubricant as well
- Just a shampoo wash, no further traces of oil left out

PS: Personally tested on all painted surfaces (automotive and house hold) and Glass to remove sticker marks.

Top Bottom