Car Paint Ruined By Brake Fluid By Service Center

Thread Starter #1
The car - I have a 2008 Swift which is almost 8 years old now,it was my first car which my mother gifted during college & it was during our financial crunch & feeling guilty i opted for the cheapest Swift money could buy, that was a basic petrol lxi, so i will always have a soft spot for it & a place in my parking no matter how many cars i mite own in future.

The story regarding the topic - A friend of mine used to give his car for basic service work to an authorized service center in Bangalore, i had done so with my swift almost 2 years back & the experience & work was alright,otherwise car was always given to Mandovi service.

This time around i thought ok will give it to this authorized service center called Keshkamal which i had given some years back.Service done i get car back in evening,car seems fine & clean i drive back.The service center is basic & they dont have in house wheel alignment so 40 days later i take car for wheel alignment & i notice the paint seems to be deformed like a bad paint job. I though oh car must be rusting or paint issues. The owner of the wheel alignment quickly points out to other places & droplet kind of marks & he quickly determines this is a clear case of brake fluid damage by the service center as there were clear wipe marks effects on them as it seems they cleaned it immediately when it fell or got sprayed on the car.Until then i never knew brake fluid can have this slow effect on paint work & i am sure majority of you dont know this until now!
The owner told me that the fluid would have penetrated the metal & moved downwards & the pattern showed droplets & wipe marks horizontally from back door to front door. I knew the service center wont take responsibility as it had been many days & decided will speak to them over the phone anyways.

So a few days later when i tell my mother she recalls our house maid pointing out to weird white drip stains on the car paint on the top most portion around door handle which was 3 days after car came from service. And my mother assumed its just something that spilt on the car side glass. And i vaguely remember something like that also but i dint pay much attention then as car was not exactly shining & being dusty at the time.
I always clean my cars & this time after service car was used rarely except for a highway trip & only once the car was washed by my worker so i dint have chance to go over bodywork.But even a week before i gave car for service there were no paint bubbles or damage as i cleaned every inch of it myself.
So i keep a cool head as it was too late to prove anything i call the service center saying there has been paint damage & if by any chance we could see the security cam footage in fast forward mode to see if it happened during service. For which he gets aggressive gives rude replies that you cant see security video, you have no right, all our workers know what they are doing etc etc, by which time i loose my cool & tell him he should learn to talk as i am not begging etc,long story short i tell him i am informing him a complaint as its too late already,but if he is interested in quality control he should watch the footage & take the worker responsible to task. So good riddance to Keshkamal motors!!

Moral of the story - When i was young i remember my father yelling at service center as he noticed dent on our Zen car door once it came back from service,seen my Hyundai i20 returned with paint missing which they calmly repainted, (for my luck it was a new car & there were no scratches otherwise they would have said something am sure as most of the damage marks on pre service entry is exaggerated). And i have read stories of Skodas coming back home with swapped parts, but this was a first for me or most of you who are reading where brake fluid spilt has a slow effect on the metal over a period of weeks.
But this was a first for me,so next time you noticed some slight discoloration when you get car from service,point it out & click sufficient pics & proof with the service adviser next to the car for proof(yes it could be weird), so they cannot manipulate when the damage starts a week or so later.

Posting the pics below, it looks like dried sugar syrup,on first when i noticed I assumed it was some internal rust but after careful observations i could see wipe marks along with droplets over the body & the wheel alignment owner has seen brake fluid accidents before so he said its no doubt.[frustration]

Anybody else has faced this?
front door brake fluid damage.jpg rear door brake fluid damage close up.jpg rear door brake fluid damage whole.jpg

never knew that a brake fluid could be so severe on paint. I guess a local paint job should be able to fix the bubbles. In my Duke 390, the service center accidentally sparyed something and it developed a stain on the tank which cannot be cleaned.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddy, this damage is not done by brake fluid. This is done by something more harsh than fluid. I assume, it could be the paint thinner. Paint thinner has property of removing paint. Firstly, by any chance has your car's panels been re-painted ever? In cases of re-paint it often happens that if accidental spill of thinner takes place, the paint is damaged if anyone tries to wipe it.

Regards

Akash

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Yes to me too it looks like paint solvent induced damage. Brake fluid is glycerol based and it's hygroscopic ie water catchy. It cannot do such damage. If you are very confident and sure that this damage occurred in the ASS go and create hell and they might repaint everything for you.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Buddy, this damage is not done by brake fluid. This is done by something more harsh than fluid. I assume, it could be the paint thinner. Paint thinner has property of removing paint. Firstly, by any chance has your car's panels been re-painted ever? In cases of re-paint it often happens that if accidental spill of thinner takes place, the paint is damaged if anyone tries to wipe it.

Regards

Akash
That portion of the car was repainted almost two years back & remember posting it some where here. The damage was lower & more on the edges of the door(Garbage auto opened door as car was passing by),so metal paste or anything being bad was out of the question.The paint seems to be fine but there is some thing reacting with the metal underneath but no doubt it is some fluid that was sprayed.And there was no marks on the car before it went for service as i cleaned the car & now when you are close to car its clearly visible.
Yes to me too it looks like paint solvent induced damage. Brake fluid is glycerol based and it's hygroscopic ie water catchy. It cannot do such damage. If you are very confident and sure that this damage occurred in the ASS go and create hell and they might repaint everything for you.
Well the Wheel alignment shop owner also has another shop which restores jeeps,he told me he has seen it on his personal car fender that the paint remains fine but the metal beneath has seepage it starts bubbling over time. I also googled on the issue & what i read was some of the grade of brake fluids peel the paint off but some grades just take their own sweet time & bubble the metal underneath. Yes i dont have first hand experience hence posting it here. And if any fluid had been sprayed/spilt when the car was with us we would have noticed as car was barely in use & cleaned only once.

Furthermore the service center has no body shop so it could narrow down to brake fluid or something of that level. But since it had been many days i had decided i wont trouble the service center but later decided to see the video footage as car was roughly there for 5 hours & its a small place so incident would be caught on cam.But the moment the service guy changed his tone & acted cocky i was furious as no one innocent would have not said that. My mother asked me to let it go & have the car repainted. The paint stain difference were noticed around the top portion of both doors which dont seem to be there now.

But more than the cost i am just annoyed about the incident, and this thread can be a learning experience for some.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Prads, from the pics, it is clear that thinner or some paint remover has spilled on the paint and secondly for bubbles, I do have a feeling that maybe at the time of washing, through some hole or lining/rubber the water has seeped in which might have corroded the panel. The bubbles are also formed when chemicals are used to make the paint soft and easy to remove. In hindi it is called "Paint phoolna". I would request you to use a needle to prick those bubbles, if you see the rust then its rusting and if you see paint coming out then for sure it would be due to some chemical like thinner et al.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Brake fluids are mostly wood alcohol and glycerol based compounds,its effect on paint ,i am not sure on it ,but as others pointed out i doubt its on thinner effect.
I use Thinner when my car has marks on the body like one from parking scratches by levers of bikes,during this i just use a drop of thinner as even a ounce more can damage the paint.

Thread Starter #8
I took the car to a good workshop, i let them observe the car paint & decide before i tell them anything, they asked me if car was parked at any industry or i had given it to any repairs recently. They conclude this is not natural & not rust, its some kind of acid(they are clueless on the type) that was spilt on the car.
They asked me if i noticed any symptoms on the car before this happened i told him the paint supposedly had stains embedded in the paint after the car had returned from service which disappeared later. So they spoke to another painter also & they concluded its some acid based substance has been spilt on the car, which has seeped into the metal layers & channeling downwards.
And yes as many said here the workshop tells me it cannot be brakefluid.
They also ruled out paint thinner or paint solvent.
They are telling me they need to strip the paint to see where all the acid has traveled.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
If its acid,i doubt whether its a Battery fluid.
Could be,i dint ask them, but i am waiting for the paint to be stripped & take a look at the metal, from our memory there was white blemish on the top portions of the door, so once paint is stripped maybe will get a better idea. So work will start after a week.

Top Bottom