Buying a Microfiber Cloth

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone
So since I have recently bought a used 2012 alto k10, I am planning to buy some car care products. I have already ordered the Armor all wash and wax 1L from flipkart and turtle wax super hard shell 270g car wax from amazon.in but now I want to buy good microfiber cloths for drying and waxing. So today while searching for it I found a good drying microfiber cloth (60cm * 80cm) on aliexpress and the best part the seller has agreed to give it for around 350 per piece if I buy 5 or more. Here are a few pics

So interested people can please comment below and then if there are a good amount of people then maybe we could get a better deal.
Another thing - I am pretty new to the microfiber and all this stuff so if I've come up with a bad deal then please do guide me and any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Regards
TechLaller

3M Microfiber cloth made by scotch brite is the best i think. I have one, got it for free as i did car polishing and cleaning from them.

Hello everyone
So since I have recently bought a used 2012 alto k10, I am planning to buy some car care products. I have already ordered the Armor all wash and wax 1L from flipkart and turtle wax super hard shell 270g car wax from amazon.in but now I want to buy good microfiber cloths for drying and waxing. So today while searching for it I found a good drying microfiber cloth (60cm * 80cm) on aliexpress and the best part the seller has agreed to give it for around 350 per piece if I buy 5 or more. Here are a few pics
So interested people can please comment below and then if there are a good amount of people then maybe we could get a better deal.
Another thing - I am pretty new to the microfiber and all this stuff so if I've come up with a bad deal then please do guide me and any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Regards
TechLaller
I have bought their wash mitt and i would say don't expect wonders.

Thread Starter #4
I have bought their wash mitt and i would say don't expect wonders.
Why I just received the mitt and although I haven't used it and I'm kinda new to the microfiber stuff but I feel that it's sort of good quality and soft. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

Hello TechLaller,

You don't have to buy microfiber cloths from Aliexpress because you can find same or better quality within India. Also if you order from international, you will have to wait too long for the product to reach you.

I would like to suggest you following brands/products which are easily available in India:

3M Microfiber Cloth
Armor All Microfiber Cloth
Abro Professional Microfibre Cleaning Cloth
Meguiars Microfiber Cloth and Wash Mitt
X-STATIC Microfiber Cloth

Check these in all major online stores (Ebay India, Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, Paytm and etc) and choose which ever is listed for best price.

And for wax application, you should use applicator pads like these:

Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad (Set of 4 Pcs)
Mother's Microfiber Applicator Pads (Set of 2 Pcs)

Check out this thread for more details about maintaining and detailing our vehicles.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Hello TechLaller,

You don't have to buy microfiber cloths from Aliexpress because you can find same or better quality within India. Also if you order from international, you will have to wait too long for the product to reach you.

I would like to suggest you following brands/products which are easily available in India:

3M Microfiber Cloth
Armor All Microfiber Cloth
Abro Professional Microfibre Cleaning Cloth
Meguiars Microfiber Cloth and Wash Mitt
X-STATIC Microfiber Cloth

Check these in all major online stores (Ebay India, Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, Paytm and etc) and choose which ever is listed for best price.

And for wax application, you should use applicator pads like these:

Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad (Set of 4 Pcs)
Mother's Microfiber Applicator Pads (Set of 2 Pcs)

Check out this thread for more details about maintaining and detailing our vehicles.

Thanks...
Best Regards
Hi CRACING
I ordered the mf cloth since I got it for around 250 bucks and it seems to be very plush (it's around 800gsm) and soft. And by the way I need your help.
I want to buy a polisher for polishing and removing swirls and waxing my car but the problem is I am on a really tight budget. I noticed that some people used a drill as a polisher. Can I do that? And by the way I'm sort of new to this polisher stuff and so would it be advisable to use the drill method rather than going for a dual action polisher

Hi CRACING
I ordered the mf cloth since I got it for around 250 bucks and it seems to be very plush (it's around 800gsm) and soft. And by the way I need your help.
I want to buy a polisher for polishing and removing swirls and waxing my car but the problem is I am on a really tight budget. I noticed that some people used a drill as a polisher. Can I do that? And by the way I'm sort of new to this polisher stuff and so would it be advisable to use the drill method rather than going for a dual action polisher
Glad to hear you have got a good MF cloth. [:)]

Removing swirls depends upon how deep they are. For light swirls, you can use any polish (Not to be confused with product titled as polish but is actually a wax) which has abilities to remove light swirls. For medium scratches, you should try scratch remover product. In worst cases, compound might workout but only with the help of polishing machine, good pad and that is handled by professional.

You can do DIY and make a drilling machine work as a polisher but I do not recommend it. You will face difficultly in handling the machine on the surface and speed will be fixed all the time unless you own a variable drilling machine. I have made this DIY to one of my drilling machine but I use it for other purpose and not for car detailing. i.e wood polishing, metal polishing, tiles polishing/cleaning.

You own a Japanese car which has thin paint finish so there is a high risk of burning the paint or stripping off excess paint if not careful.

If you really want to use a machine and be safe on paint, dual action polisher is the only thing. Cheapest is 13k which is available in Detailed Clean India website. If you have some experience with machine handling and wouldn't mind taking risk, then choose rotary polisher with 5.5" blue, black or white pads from Lake Country. However, for this you have to spend 6k atleast. Machine + 2 LC pads. Don't choose cutting pads and wool pads for rotary polisher otherwise you will make paint surface worst then good.

I have Skil 9080 Rotary Polisher and black 5.5" LC pads. For me, both works best for polish and AIO wax application and I'm able to handle it safely. You can check out my review on that rotary polisher here. You can also find my guide on how to use rotary in the same thread.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Glad to hear you have got a good MF cloth. [:)]

Removing swirls depends upon how deep they are. For light swirls, you can use any polish (Not to be confused with product titled as polish but is actually a wax) which has abilities to remove light swirls. For medium scratches, you should try scratch remover product. In worst cases, compound might workout but only with the help of polishing machine, good pad and that is handled by professional.

You can do DIY and make a drilling machine work as a polisher but I do not recommend it. You will face difficultly in handling the machine on the surface and speed will be fixed all the time unless you own a variable drilling machine. I have made this DIY to one of my drilling machine but I use it for other purpose and not for car detailing. i.e wood polishing, metal polishing, tiles polishing/cleaning.

You own a Japanese car which has thin paint finish so there is a high risk of burning the paint or stripping off excess paint if not careful.

If you really want to use a machine and be safe on paint, dual action polisher is the only thing. Cheapest is 13k which is available in Detailed Clean India website. If you have some experience with machine handling and wouldn't mind taking risk, then choose rotary polisher with 5.5" blue, black or white pads from Lake Country. However, for this you have to spend 6k atleast. Machine + 2 LC pads. Don't choose cutting pads and wool pads for rotary polisher otherwise you will make paint surface worst then good.

I have Skil 9080 Rotary Polisher and black 5.5" LC pads. For me, both works best for polish and AIO wax application and I'm able to handle it safely. You can check out my review on that rotary polisher here. You can also find my guide on how to use rotary in the same thread.
Hi thanks for the help. since i have a variable speed drill lying at home i think i will go for the drill diy but could you please guide me regarding fixing the backplate and other stuff. And regarding the scratch marks that I want to remove could you please take a moment to visit my thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/maintaining-my-ride/25965-help-scratch-car-paint-causing-rusting.html
here i have the pic of the scratch. its deep enough that i can feel my fingernail getting stuck in it when i run it over the scratch and also since the scratch has reached the metal and i was careless enough to let it sit there for a few days :stupid: it has developed some rust. any ideas on how to make it look like new without costing a fortune? thanks again.
Regards
TechLaller

Hi thanks for the help. since i have a variable speed drill lying at home i think i will go for the drill diy but could you please guide me regarding fixing the backplate and other stuff. And regarding the scratch marks that I want to remove could you please take a moment to visit my thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/maintaining-my-ride/25965-help-scratch-car-paint-causing-rusting.html
here i have the pic of the scratch. its deep enough that i can feel my fingernail getting stuck in it when i run it over the scratch and also since the scratch has reached the metal and i was careless enough to let it sit there for a few days :stupid: it has developed some rust. any ideas on how to make it look like new without costing a fortune? thanks again.
Regards
TechLaller
Hello again,

Ok I'll first tell you about how to convert Drill to a polisher or sander. You have two options. One is, go to any hardware or power tools store and ask for 5" velcro backing plate/pad. The nut on it should be M10 (10mm in dia). If you cannot find it, then the same is available in ebay India (Here). Next, search for suitable bolt for it and length should be atleast 2 inch. The bolt should be headless but if you cannot find such, go to a small factory and get the bolt head shaved or cut or you can do it yourself.

Now you have the pad and the bolt which can be attach to the drill. Last one to buy is the foam pad for it. Few months ago I had visited to Bosch store and they had one polishing pad but it happens to be a cutting pad. This is one I believe. You can search for the same in local Bosch store but kindly note, its a cutting pad so it will be aggressive on paint and do not use it for polish and wax application. Also note, you should use foam pads that are atleast half a inch bigger then backing plate otherwise you may risk hitting the backing plate to the paint surface while buffing.

The second option is, you can find kit that includes all the above items (Backing pate, bolt and even pads) in ebay India. Check Here or search for more. But the problem is, those orange pads are unknown in terms of cutting power and risk of using them is high. I wouldn't use them for car detailing anyhow.

Highly recommended pads are from Lake Country which are available in Greenz Car Care, Detailed Clean India, Ultimate Detailerz and etc. LC makes lots of pads for user requirements and for you, white or black pads work best. 5.5" CCS pads cost Rs. 920 and 4" CCS pads cost Rs. 690. Note, Cutting pads are good for DA polishers.

Since you are limited on budget, I suggest you to buy 3" backing plate (like this) and LC CCS Black 4" Pad. Because small pads are easier to buff.

Ok lets move to the scratch that has happened to your car door. I'm sorry about that but a perfectly fix can only be done by professional car painter because its deep enough and only compound and machine cannot solve it. I cannot say whether the black line in the scratch is a primer or rust but if you see it as rust, then you should act quicky.

Here a is unprofessional solution: [:D]

1. Take a needle which is thick as the scratch and slowly scratch the line (Now after read line as scratch) to remove the rust. Only the rust and not the paint.
2. After you have removed all the rust, get a good primer and painting brush. The brush point/bristles should be same as the line or even thin. Apply two thin coats of primer (Mixed with thinner as required) into the line but don't over apply.
3. Next, let it dry for 1-2 days and see if the line is still deep. If its deep, fill it with fillers. Can be found in paint shop or buy one from com-paint website.
4. Next, wet sand the line using 2000 or more grit sand paper. Do not sand more then required.
5. Get a combination paint from car paint shop and apply two coats of it using thin pointed brush and let it cure for a month.
6. Next, buy 3m finesse it or 3m perfect it and rub the line using applicator pads till it becomes glossy and line becomes barely visible. Again don't rub more then required.
7. Finally finish off with polish and wax.

I hope this works out. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Hello again,

Ok I'll first tell you about how to convert Drill to a polisher or sander. You have two options. One is, go to any hardware or power tools store and ask for 5" velcro backing plate/pad. The nut on it should be M10 (10mm in dia). If you cannot find it, then the same is available in ebay India (Here). Next, search for suitable bolt for it and length should be atleast 2 inch. The bolt should be headless but if you cannot find such, go to a small factory and get the bolt head shaved or cut or you can do it yourself.

Now you have the pad and the bolt which can be attach to the drill. Last one to buy is the foam pad for it. Few months ago I had visited to Bosch store and they had one polishing pad but it happens to be a cutting pad. This is one I believe. You can search for the same in local Bosch store but kindly note, its a cutting pad so it will be aggressive on paint and do not use it for polish and wax application. Also note, you should use foam pads that are atleast half a inch bigger then backing plate otherwise you may risk hitting the backing plate to the paint surface while buffing.

The second option is, you can find kit that includes all the above items (Backing pate, bolt and even pads) in ebay India. Check Here or search for more. But the problem is, those orange pads are unknown in terms of cutting power and risk of using them is high. I wouldn't use them for car detailing anyhow.

Highly recommended pads are from Lake Country which are available in Greenz Car Care, Detailed Clean India, Ultimate Detailerz and etc. LC makes lots of pads for user requirements and for you, white or black pads work best. 5.5" CCS pads cost Rs. 920 and 4" CCS pads cost Rs. 690. Note, Cutting pads are good for DA polishers.

Since you are limited on budget, I suggest you to buy 3" backing plate (like this) and LC CCS Black 4" Pad. Because small pads are easier to buff.

Ok lets move to the scratch that has happened to your car door. I'm sorry about that but a perfectly fix can only be done by professional car painter because its deep enough and only compound and machine cannot solve it. I cannot say whether the black line in the scratch is a primer or rust but if you see it as rust, then you should act quicky.

Here a is unprofessional solution: [:D]

1. Take a needle which is thick as the scratch and slowly scratch the line (Now after read line as scratch) to remove the rust. Only the rust and not the paint.
2. After you have removed all the rust, get a good primer and painting brush. The brush point/bristles should be same as the line or even thin. Apply two thin coats of primer (Mixed with thinner as required) into the line but don't over apply.
3. Next, let it dry for 1-2 days and see if the line is still deep. If its deep, fill it with fillers. Can be found in paint shop or buy one from com-paint website.
4. Next, wet sand the line using 2000 or more grit sand paper. Do not sand more then required.
5. Get a combination paint from car paint shop and apply two coats of it using thin pointed brush and let it cure for a month.
6. Next, buy 3m finesse it or 3m perfect it and rub the line using applicator pads till it becomes glossy and line becomes barely visible. Again don't rub more then required.
7. Finally finish off with polish and wax.

I hope this works out. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards
Hi thanks CRACING you've been very helpful. It will surely help me but the only problem I have now is that I am not able to find the color code for my silver alto k10 2011 model. Could you please guide me where to look for it? Thanks again
Regards
TechLaller

Hi thanks CRACING you've been very helpful. It will surely help me but the only problem I have now is that I am not able to find the color code for my silver alto k10 2011 model. Could you please guide me where to look for it? Thanks again
Regards
TechLaller
It will be my pleasure to help you.

Since your car is 4-5 years old, the color code would not match with the present paint condition. However, any car paint shop will make a combination paint for your car.

Thread Starter #12
Thank you very much

And another thing don't I have to use clear coat for the scratch job? And can I use the aerosol can for spraying the primer by masking the surrounding area?

And can I buy the cheap polishing pads from Aliexpress? I saw a set of polishing buffing light cutting and heavy cutting pads for around 200 rupees. Thanks
Moderators please merge the posts

Last edited by a moderator:
And another thing don't I have to use clear coat for the scratch job? And can I use the aerosol can for spraying the primer by masking the surrounding area?
If you can get clear coat aerosol then you may use but I think its done in car factory only (Paint shop).

The scratch is just a line and aerosol would be spray large area. If you mask the area, the paint you will spray would be thick as the masking tape, making it difficult to even later.

Check this post. It will be helpful to you.

And can I buy the cheap polishing pads from Aliexpress? I saw a set of polishing buffing light cutting and heavy cutting pads for around 200 rupees. Thanks
Moderators please merge the posts
I have bought those few months ago but only for other purpose and not for car detailing. I believe black pads are non-cut or very light cut because they are soft. Orange pads are firm so they might be for heavy cut.

Non-cut pad + polish (that includes light swirl removing ability) is good combination for rotary polisher.
Non-cut pad + AIO Wax is good combination for rotary polisher.

Pure wax should applied by hand because even the min speed of rotary polisher will be fast and also it uses more product then needed.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
If you can get clear coat aerosol then you may use but I think its done in car factory only (Paint shop).

The scratch is just a line and aerosol would be spray large area. If you mask the area, the paint you will spray would be thick as the masking tape, making it difficult to even later.

Check this post. It will be helpful to you.

I have bought those few months ago but only for other purpose and not for car detailing. I believe black pads are non-cut or very light cut because they are soft. Orange pads are firm so they might be for heavy cut.

Non-cut pad + polish (that includes light swirl removing ability) is good combination for rotary polisher.
Non-cut pad + AIO Wax is good combination for rotary polisher.

Pure wax should applied by hand because even the min speed of rotary polisher will be fast and also it uses more product then needed.
So are the Aliexpress ones safe for my car. I don't want a show car finish on my car but it should just shine enough for others to Envy :-) without burning a hole in my pocket :p

So are the Aliexpress ones safe for my car. I don't want a show car finish on my car but it should just shine enough for others to Envy :-) without burning a hole in my pocket :p
I don't know sirji because I have not used them for car and I don't recommend using them either. Shine is least concerned but what I'm afraid is, how safe is it on paint.

I have read many horror stories in detailing forums (like autogeek) were some people have used best of best pads on rotary and still caused swirls because the pad spins only on a single orbit whereas DA polisher oscillates (For more details). That is why I suggest non-cut pad on rotary to get no or least swirls and leave the cutting power (if any) to products.

If you wanna try those pads, do a test job in less visible part of the car and check for swirls in direct sun light (before and after test). Masking the test area also helps to see the difference. If the pad is ok then continue using it for the whole car.

To get best shine, preparation is important then products. Clean the surface as much as possible which includes using clay. Next use polish to remove light swirls and brighten the paint. Then us glaze to fill those light swirls which were unable to remove by polish. Some don't advice glaze because it doesn't last long or reduces the durability of next product (i.e wax). Finally apply wax or sealant and then wax.

Machine gets the job done easier and faster but it comes with risk if not careful. It is also a expensive task. However, these above can also be done by hand and get near results. Check out Suryaputhra's detailing work in "Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics" thread.

Last edited:

Top Bottom