Car Paint Damage From Bird Dropping

Thread Starter #1
Hello to all

I would like to know what can be done to avoid car paint damage from bird dropping.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I would like to know what can be done to avoid car paint damage from bird dropping.
Suggest you to spill some water on it and after 5-6 seconds wipe it off using a newspaper or any moist cloth. Be it metal or glass, same process can be followed. To further comfort yourself, if you have a car polish handy, apply that for the smoothness and shine of the paint.

Regards

Akash

Avoid parking under the trees. Don't let the bird's dropping dry on your car for many days. Clean your car at least once in three days in case if your car gets dirty with bird's poop every day. Clean your car as Akash suggested above .

Prevention is better than cure. If you already have damage, you need to get it fixed.

If you park on the road, avoiding droppings will be impossible. In this case, get a car cover for parking for extended periods of time. What I do when I dont take the car out for some reason is I inspect the car once I get home. I have a box of tissues in the car, so if I have droppings, I pour water then just wipe off after a few minutes. Also, having teflon overcoat done helps the clean up

Ameyam

Prevention is better than cure. If you already have damage, you need to get it fixed.

If you park on the road, avoiding droppings will be impossible. In this case, get a car cover for parking for extended periods of time. What I do when I dont take the car out for some reason is I inspect the car once I get home. I have a box of tissues in the car, so if I have droppings, I pour water then just wipe off after a few minutes. Also, having teflon overcoat done helps the clean up

Ameyam
+1 to this.

Even waxing your car makes a big difference!

I did try precisely that remedy i.e putting on a car cover but that led to another much more severe problem. I had got my car re-painted and thought of using a car cover to protect the shine. Within a few days, I noticed lots of scratches on the bonnet and boot. I was clueless till my guard told me that the dogs simply love my car and they only sit on mine despite atleast 15 cars being parked in the vicinity. That is when I realised that they like to occupy the covered cars and then scratch the paint off with their claws during climbing/playing. The day I stopped using the cover, never faced this problem again. The car is parked under the blazing sun, making it lose its shine gradually but at least no scratches anymore.

Dogs often like to sit on top of cars because the metal is colder. But this is the first time i heard they sit on covered cars. Anyway, i suggest you shoo them (and ask the guard to shoo them) as soon as they sit. Doing so a few times will make them get the message. Besides that all i can say is dogs really love you[;)]

Ameyam

Haha, that happened during winters so I guess the cloth cover provided some relief from cold delhi nights. But as I got those parts re-painted, could not muster the courage and take a risk by keeping the cover on even after the winters were over.

Those who have no choice but to park under a tree, don't park it right near the tree trunk. I did some bird poop 'research' on my own [:)] and over the years I have come to the fine conclusion that parking right at the tree trunk is a sure shot way of getting the largest amount of poop because our avian friends (or enemies) tend to sit at the branches closest to the tree trunk. Try to keep your ride farther away from the trunk and under the thinner outer branches if you must. Probability shows your car might get hit by one serving of poop instead of four or none at all. Good odds. Avoid parking under fruit-bearing trees in March-April. That's when crows come for a day-long feasting party and drop the broken fruit with all the juice splattered on the car. Last year I parked a silver EcoSport under a jamun tree for two days during blooming season. The vehicle got patches of purple everywhere. Ready for gay pride parade.

As soon as you see a bird dropping try to clear it off by pouring surplus amount of water over and keeping it for around 5-10 seconds and then gently wipe it off with a micro fiber.
An atomizer spray can comes in handy at these situations.

If the dropping rate are so high, keep a micro fiber exclusively for the process[lol]

Make sure you don't fry those droppings by parking the vehicle under sun. On sunlight some kind of acid tends to seep into paint and I had the same issue. Waxing won't even help in that case.

If the dropping is not coming apart even after the water is applied, put 2-3 drops of car shampoo and gently do the same with micro fiber.

@vishnu That's the best way to clean bird poop. Earlier, unable to wait that few minutes after pouring water I'd immediately start rubbing the wet spot with cloth. The still-dry mark wouldn't come off and instead leave tiny scratches. And in anger I'd rub even harder. Now better sense has prevailed and I wait for as long as I can after pouring water on the droppings till they become soft and can be easily removed.

Top Bottom