Scratches: Causes and Prevention

Thread Starter #1
Hair line scratches everywhere.
Its a common thing on most of the cars.They keep on coming every month and really heart breaking on new cars.
So started this thread to know all the main reasons for these scratches except accidents and hit by other vehicles.
Suggestions are welcomed to prevent such damages and the reasons for them.
PPF is a costly affair for most of the common owners so want to know/discuss all the possible sources and prevention from scratches.

me also facing same problem with my vista it getting scratch day by day even car is not driven for past 10 days still got some new scratch[cry]

Last edited:
Below are some of the reasons I can think of:

1. Dusty car cover can cause scratches. Use duster before taking cover off.
2. Remove dust on car by duster and then wipe the car with damp cloth. Use microfibre cloth for wiping.
3. Don't park vehicle below tree.
4. Use side moldings and bumper guards.

The below is what we do for our cars at home :

1. Use seperate cloths for cleaning painted surface(body), glass areas, running boards and bumpers. Be careful that you dont swap those cloths everytime you wash the car.

2. Use dusters if you want to remove the fly dust on the body and never ever use the regular cloth to wipe the dust dry.

3. Pour sufficient amount of water, preferably with a good car shampoo to loosen the dust and grime before you start cleaning the car.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Firstly Thanks to Sandy for coming up with a good topic. Appreciate it.[clap]

These light scratches often occur with human nails, finger rings, key chain apart from dust and tree saps.

What I have been doing may sound funny but I use mustard oil and even break oil to clear those scratches which don't loose paint. The best solution according to me is also the Waxpol Rubbing compound.

By using the brake oil the scratches become apparently light and the car appears to be clean from them.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6
What I have been doing may sound funny but I use mustard oil and even break oil to clear those scratches which don't loose paint.
Akash
It seems interesting and never heard before,could you please explain the process.

What's the right process of cleaning the dust without using duster,I mean only by using MF cloth.
Should we damp it before using or dusting is must before using damp cloth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
It seems interesting and never heard before,could you please explain the process.
It is simple dear. In case the scratch appears to have not penetrated the paint then just apply some brake oil or even plain mustard oil using the readily available yellow duster. Rub it and leave it for 5-10 minutes and then wipe it off. The scratch shall appear way less pronounced.

Regards

Akash

What's the right process of cleaning the dust without using duster,I mean only by using MF cloth.
Should we damp it before using or dusting is must before using damp cloth?
Either duster or water jet through hosepipe are trustworthy options to remove dust without scratches. Any cloth ( even microfiber cloth though to lesser extent) especially dampen is sure to cause micro scratches. Clean duster after every 2-3 strokes. Water jet from above to below.

Last edited:

Top Bottom