Protect Your Car From Scratches: My PPF Experiment

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,
I am Dr Anindya From Kolkata. By Profession I am an Orthopedic Surgeon but very much interested in cars ,electronics and high end audio.An avid reader of team bhp and TAI forum. I was following the thread of Dr Mudhan in TAI and just purchased my 2nd car 4 months back(My first car is hyundai santro). As an enthusiast I never gave my car to any garage for repair but only for scheduled service to avail warranty.Hopefully I was able to maintain my car on my own without much fuss. That's gave me immense satisfaction. One thing I regularly faced in a congested city like kolkata is regular scratches over paint surface .As I don't like cars which are full of scratches and injury mark I had to spend thousand of RS to keep my santro in mint condition. But there is one problem.. although my FNG was able to match colour very well, I had to allow them to work for around 7 days in avg.As I am a doctor without car I couldn't attend my clinic and hospital not to mention unplanned expenditure.

I tried a lots of thing like paint sealant,regular waxing, teflon coating etc.But none could prevent scratching.In reality no detailing or paint protection can help you to prevent scratches when your car is rubbed against something hard.

My search began after I purchase my honda city i-vtec 4 months ago.I was determined to prevent scratches in my new car, And I found there is a solution. This is called a Paint Protection Film(PPF). It is something like the mobile screen cover,you put it over your car.You get a very good scratch,you just remove the film and put a new peace there.Its marvelous.After 4 months my car is as good as showroom. But in this 4 months there were several incidents where if there was no film I would have to send my car for a paint job.Please remember the ppm can't prevent any major dent,but the film is rigid enough to prevent minor dents.The film is tough enough..even if you rub a stone over my car or casually run a knive there will be no harm to the actual paint.I will describe how to do it in detail in my next post.Just let my first post be approved by moderators.
Dr Anindya

Re: Protect Your Car From Scratches-My PPF experiment

Yes the PPF paint protection film does the job quite superbly depending upon the quality you used and thickness you apply on the body panels.
3M has some 5 or 6 different kind of quality of such films with different guage thickness.
The pricing that i inquire long ago was very expensive to painting and denting work it would need.
Looking forward to see your another update and products you used.
Thankyou for sharing and congratulations on your honda city.

Thread Starter #3

Thanks vijay.Yes I know they are expensive, that’s why the need for this thread.

At present I am out of station .I will update the thread with photograph and detail step by step procedure.
First Thing First: Where to apply
This is the most important step. This film is costly so you must exactly know the area where the chances of impact are more so you can get the maximum return . I have invested more than 60000 rs in this and wasted another 15000 where I have to throw the film as I applied them in a wrong way with a bad finish.
Two things is most important area of application and final finish. A bad finish will ruin the appearance of the vehicle and a good finish is almost invisible. While in the road spot any vehicle of your own model. Try to locate the scratches and site of impact, after observing 15-20 vehicle you will have ample idea of where your vehicle need most protection. I just derived the area by observing my 5 yr old santro .The area I found most vulnerable…
1. Lower 6 inches of the left side of the body
2. Lower portion of front bumper and whole of the rear bumper (if it is body colored)
3. above the wheel arches
4. ORVMs
5. Middle third of the left side doors
There are some readymade door handle and door border film available in e bay, but they are of very poor quality, thin and not required if you purchase a roll of film, as you can use little pieces from them for the same purpose.

Thread Starter #4
Materials required
1. Paint Protection Film
There are several manufacturers, several qualities and several thicknesses. 3M has the widest options. Available in your local auto accessory store or 3M store/detailing service. I purchased them from e-bay. I used a thickness of 8 mil (.21mm).Several sizes are available in e bay. Length can be 5 ft or 6 ft, width is 6 inches, 12inches and 24 inches. I have used them all. Purchased from an e bay seller, alivetraders. very honest and genuine. He even gave me some extra length when I ordered 2 or 3 rolls. In addition if you want it cheap, you can have it from lumor or Garware. There is another very cheap option available in e bay that is known as tuff shield. But they are not available in different sizes and I didn’t like their quality at all.
If you want to maintain the quality but don’t want to spend much...you can use the protection film used to protect the ATM doors. Once my new car was rubbed against a maruti and the left side of the whole panel from front to rear was damaged and I had to replace the entire film on left side. I did it with ATM door protector film. The quality was as good as 3M and finish is excellent. They are a bit stiff so little more difficult to apply. Any way you will require ample practice to apply any of them perfectly. The 3M film will cost you around 1200-1300 for 12 inch by 5 ft.The ATM door protector costs rs 500 for the same length, the tuff shield one is cheaper still. But I would request you to restrict yourself between 3M and ATM door film.
Packaging of 3M is best. There is two layer of protection, one billow another above. The lowest one is an adhesive paper, this layer must be removed before application, over it there is the actual film, and above all another thin transparent film protecting all the layers. Do not remove the top most transparent layer which should be removed after you finish applying (Detail later).
2. Collin/Mr. muscle liquid cleaner.
These are used as cleaner as well as lubricant. I tried different liquid including soap water, but Collin turns out to be the best and most easily available. Use them liberally don’t skimp on the quantity, you may not achieve the desired result
3. A small knife
You can use a surgical scalpel 11No with Bard parker handle. You can also use small plastic knife known as thermocol cutter.
4. Stainless steel scale 1 ft
Please do not use plastic scale. Plastic scale is not suitable for the job.
5. Hair Dryer
If you have heat gun like professional it will be good. But I didn’t have them so I used my wife’s hair dryer. Never faced any problem with that. The heat gun comes handy when there are lots of curvatures to follw.Like new Honda city with flowing lines you need to use heat quite often
6. A small piece of plastic.
A square or rectangle shaped plastic is used to make the layer air free. If there is an auto accessory shop nearby you can ask them. They use it when applying glass film in window. (Will post a picture later)
7. Lots of hard work and patience.
I can assure you if you love your car and is interested in taking care of your car on your own, you will be extremely happy with the end result. It’s not that I can’t repaint my car professionally; I did it several times in the past for my santro, but if you love your car a small scratch will hart you badly. It’s not the money but the emotion that matters. Knowing that changing just a film will restore the car into showroom condition gives me enough peace of mind.
In addition you do not require any polish touch up paint, claying etc on the car you simply wax if you wish. Otherwise a simple wash with a good car shampoo will be enough.

Very Nice guide, throughout years installing screen guards on my costly electronics I have known one thing for sure. the film is the ultimate protection against scratches.

but the ultimate question remains, does this become yellow after few months? its especially cause of concern if we're having a white car.

Thread Starter #7
@max_demon
I have known one thing for sure. the film is the ultimate protection against scratches.

but the ultimate question remains, does this become yellow after few months? its especially cause of concern if we're having a white car.

Yes friend this is important.I will observe and update accordingly.RHS of my car is covered with 3M and LHS side with ATM door protector provides warranty against yellowing for 5 yrs,although there is no such warranty on LHS. But I have asked one of my friend (branch head) of AXIS BANK,he told they have installed the film at 2005 and what i see it remains crystal cleat

Thanks vijay.Yes I know they are expensive, that’s why the need for this thread.

First Thing First: Where to apply
.... I have invested more than 60000 rs in this and wasted another 15000 where I have to throw the film as I applied them in a wrong way with a bad finish.
.....The area I found most vulnerable…
1. Lower 6 inches of the left side of the body
2. Lower portion of front bumper and whole of the rear bumper (if it is body colored)
3. above the wheel arches
4. ORVMs
5. Middle third of the left side doors
At this much expense, had you completely covered the car or covered only most vulnerable areas? Isn't it obvious visible if you partly cover the area (like partly paint the area)?

Please post the photos to backup whatever you say [;)], especially the pics of the edge of PPF.

Have you compared this thing versus the cost of paint job? I think with this much cost, both are comparable or PPF might be costlier.

Thread Starter #9
I am presently out of station.Will definitely post photograph in next 2 days.Yes I have covered all of my car excluding the roof.There is hardly any edges as the terminal ends were folded below the sides. You don't have to spend that much,you can get a lot better result with lot less money.I did it for the first time,and nobody was there to guide me so expenses were more. There was no need to cover the whole car but I did it as I liked the DIY job. Compared to the paint job..I don't know the actual cost for honda city really but I am more concerned about the loss of time in HASS than money. Any way there can't be 100% matching in any paint booth whatsoever the technique.At least I have the peace of mind that is priceless.
(My car is parked unprotected outside my different clinic for hours, and my old santro bears the signature of each and every kids in the community...you have to see it to believe it..and u cant send the car for painting for this much!)
Hold on for the photograph..see them then decide.

Thread Starter #10
sorry for the delay friends.But I was not able to transfer photographs from my i phone 4s to my laptop(usb problem).Any way I will post the picture from digi cam.I am going to install keyless go in my car,next day. I wanted a system that will enable to start the car and ac from a distance,ass say they will do that with an aftermarket kit.will update about ppf and the smart key soon.

bhvm

Honoured Member
sorry for the delay friends.But I was not able to transfer photographs from my i phone 4s to my laptop(usb problem).Any way I will post the picture from digi cam.I am going to install keyless go in my car,next day. I wanted a system that will enable to start the car and ac from a distance,ass say they will do that with an aftermarket kit.will update about ppf and the smart key soon.
eager to see the pics sir..

Dear Friends,
I am Dr Anindya From Kolkata. By Profession I am an Orthopedic Surgeon but very much interested in cars ,electronics and high end audio.An avid reader of team bhp and TAI forum. I was following the thread of Dr Mudhan in TAI and just purchased my 2nd car 4 months back(My first car is hyundai santro). As an enthusiast I never gave my car to any garage for repair but only for scheduled service to avail warranty.Hopefully I was able to maintain my car on my own without much fuss. That's gave me immense satisfaction. One thing I regularly faced in a congested city like kolkata is regular scratches over paint surface .As I don't like cars which are full of scratches and injury mark I had to spend thousand of RS to keep my santro in mint condition. But there is one problem.. although my FNG was able to match colour very well, I had to allow them to work for around 7 days in avg.As I am a doctor without car I couldn't attend my clinic and hospital not to mention unplanned expenditure.

I tried a lots of thing like paint sealant,regular waxing, teflon coating etc.But none could prevent scratching.In reality no detailing or paint protection can help you to prevent scratches when your car is rubbed against something hard.

My search began after I purchase my honda city i-vtec 4 months ago.I was determined to prevent scratches in my new car, And I found there is a solution. This is called a Paint Protection Film(PPF). It is something like the mobile screen cover,you put it over your car.You get a very good scratch,you just remove the film and put a new peace there.Its marvelous.After 4 months my car is as good as showroom. But in this 4 months there were several incidents where if there was no film I would have to send my car for a paint job.Please remember the ppm can't prevent any major dent,but the film is rigid enough to prevent minor dents.The film is tough enough..even if you rub a stone over my car or casually run a knive there will be no harm to the actual paint.I will describe how to do it in detail in my next post.Just let my first post be approved by moderators.
Dr Anindya

Hello dr.anindya. I am also from kolkata. From where you have done your PPF? I am also very choosy about my car,mobiles,gadgets and etc. Please reply!

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom