Head Lamp Restoration Using a Toothpaste!

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The title would appear to be funny. But, in reality the toothpaste is a blessing in disguise for the faded headlamp lenses. I am not just joking on the videos present on youtube that show how easy it is to clean and restore the clarity of the headlamp by a toothpaste rather I have tried this process just a couple of days back on my Esteem's head lamp and got really satisfactory results and the light beam has become visibly brighter.

It simply takes 30 minutes (including waiting time of 20 minutes) to clean the pair of headlamps. The items needed for the same are:

1) Luke warm water

2) A micro-fiber/ normal yellow duster

3) Toothpaste. Colgate or Close-Up any would do.

Application

1) Rinse the lenses with luke warm water and clean them with the cloth to remove dust.

2) Apply the toothpaste and spread it on the lamp in circular motion with the cloth

3) Leave it for 20 minutes to dry and then rinse a few drops of water on it.

4) Finally, clean the lamps and it is done.

Zero Expense, Very Less time consumed, It is a simple DIY job to be done at home.

Here is a example for all of you from You-tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lZ96BXoT10

Have any of you tried this similar process earlier? Please share your views and experiences here.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The same method can also be used for cleaning the windsheild. I have personaly not tried yet but have seen one of my society member doing it. The results are crystal clear
Wow, this is really good for sure. Can you ask the gentleman to tell how does he spread the toothpaste on the windshield? What's the waiting time for it?

This effective and reasonable DIY is something that probably detailing brands would worry about since their business might be hampered. Can someone share how much a professional detail-er charges for head lamp restoration and how much time does it take?

I would term this toothpaste process as pure desi and quick way of achieving good results.

Regards

Akash

He just uses a small amount of paste on his hand & applies to windsheild in circular motion. Once applied he washes it with normal water & then cleans with micro fibre cloth

Wow, this is really good for sure. Can you ask the gentleman to tell how does he spread the toothpaste on the windshield? What's the waiting time for it?

This effective and reasonable DIY is something that probably detailing brands would worry about since their business might be hampered. Can someone share how much a professional detail-er charges for head lamp restoration and how much time does it take?

I would term this toothpaste process as pure desi and quick way of achieving good results.

Regards

Akash
same expression. the man cleaning his windshield with toothpaste.
i really want to see his video[clap]

Can someone share how much a professional detail-er charges for head lamp restoration and how much time does it take?
Varies between 300 to 3000 but the output is atleast 10 times better than toothpaste treatment. Tried so many times on Linea, Fiesta, Esteem and got frustrated.

Thread Starter #7

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Varies between 300 to 3000 but the output is atleast 10 times better than toothpaste treatment. Tried so many times on Linea, Fiesta, Esteem and got frustrated.
The price is somewhat ok but surely not everyone has the time always to go the professional way. Therefore, I surely agree that professionals are masters of their job but at times a DIY job like this provides a considerable success at a fraction of the cost.

As you tried this process earlier on other cars, can you please tell whether the headlamp seal was open from behind the assembly? In case the cap behind the reflector assembly is open, then the lens gets dirty from inside.

This DIY can work on only the external fading on the headlamps.

Regards

Akash

Have done this before and here is my 2 cents :
- Have tried this with multiple types of toothpastes (Normal, Mint, Salt, Gel)
- Results vary on the amount of yellowing that is there on the headlamps
- Result is temporary (i.e lasts between 2-5 days at best)
- Requires a lot more effort than just applying it on the headlight, waiting for 20 mins and then cleaning it. (don't be fooled by the video)
- Would suggest going down the professional route if you are thinking of retaining the car. This is just a stop gap arrangement

Thread Starter #10

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Have done this before and here is my 2 cents :

- Result is temporary (i.e lasts between 2-5 days at best)
- Requires a lot more effort than just applying it on the headlight, waiting for 20 mins and then cleaning it. (don't be fooled by the video)
I agree with your views except for above 2 points. I have done this treatment on my car's headlamps almost 2 weeks back and yet the lenses are clean and very clear. It actually is a safe treatment that surely lasts and since I have followed the process, I assure you it wont take more than 30 minutes in all. Video is just a idea but I am talking with my practical experience buddy. In the opening post I have mentioned that I am not joking on the basis of you-tube videos.

It can be a stop-gap treatment but worthy enough for people since they do not have to take an appointment and plan out a visit to the professional detail-er. It is a simple and cost effective DIY.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Well, my dear buddies!

Here is something that I did to the ORVM of right side in my Esteem. The oxidation took place on the lenses of the ORVM and since Esteem is no longer manufactured so spares are an issue even at ASC so I tried the same toothpaste technique on them and mind you it worked successfully on that too. The oxidation has now considerably reduced and the lenses appear much more cleaner.

Here are some step by step pics. Last time I could not give a step by step pic of head lamp cleaning so made it a point this time.

Before:

photo2077.jpg

The process of cleaning

photo2078.jpg

photo2079.jpg

The After photo, clearly the oxidation has reduced considerably.

Photo2087.jpg

Items used: Colgate Total, My handkerchief and warm water. Total time consumed 20 minutes.

In the first attempt to clean the mirror lenses I have achieved more than 50% clarity compared to earlier condition. In the 2nd attempt the results would surely be better.

Try it and let me know friends.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom