Honda City - Rust Repair & Repaint

Thread Starter #1
so while i wait for my new car (see thread here: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/10290-nissan-sunny-diesel.html ), i have called my bodywork guy to come and take a look at my 6 yr old honda city zx vtec. poor baby started suffering rust damage within 2-3 years of purchase - according to the workshop, the hard water used for daily washing is the culprit, according to others, honda gave me a bad body car, meh whateverzz - i got it last fully rust work done and full repaint with new shade in late 2009. now it's time again as nearly all panels - except the roof - are suffering from varying degrees of rust damage. doors have taken the worst beating, but there is a little bit of rust in the bonnet as well as the 5th door as well. can't wait for tomorrow morning for the guy to show up with the shade card and the "estimate" book. If i remember correctly, his pricing few yrs ago was 1500 bucks per panel for denting/painting, and some extra cost for rust repairs. my total cost last time around was in the region of 26000 or so. in case anyone's interested, ill take pictures before sending the car and then take pictures again once it comes back all dolled up, so we can have a cool before-after comparison like the fatloss tea ads on tv. [clap]

Thread Starter #4
I will be posting pics soon. The bodywork guy did come in today as expected, and this time around has given a quote for Rs. 33000 for the entire car rust repair and new color painting etc. any color but red he said.

You can check tvs multi brand car care in kolkata.they have a very good heat chamber and quality of paint is also good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I recently had done some paintwork from HASS and not at all satisfied with the finishing.

If you had repainted the car 3 years back, so why is the rust coming back. Considering that 3 years back, the rust condition was not that 'full blown' as it is now, good treatment and proper painting should have solved the issue fully.

Something tells me that they did not do a proper work last time.

I will be posting pics soon. The bodywork guy did come in today as expected, and this time around has given a quote for Rs. 33000 for the entire car rust repair and new color painting etc...any color but red he said.
try some thing like sparkle effect. i guess skoda octavia red will suite. any further mods planned?

Thread Starter #8
You can check tvs multi brand car care in kolkata.they have a very good heat chamber and quality of paint is also good.
hi thanks for your suggestion...pls mention their phone no. or contact person name, and also can you let us know which car you got painted and what was the cost and timeframe etc. for the job done?

Thread Starter #9
I agree. I recently had done some paintwork from HASS and not at all satisfied with the finishing.

If you had repainted the car 3 years back, so why is the rust coming back. Considering that 3 years back, the rust condition was not that 'full blown' as it is now, good treatment and proper painting should have solved the issue fully.

Something tells me that they did not do a proper work last time.
before painting last time, the garage guy told me that once a car gets rust, it will come back no matter what. it is purely a matter of time. same thing was confirmed by honda ASC and other bodywork garages. so getting rust again was expected. in fact, the honda a.s.c guys told me this is why they go for a panel change/door frame change in rust cases, rather than just repairing and repainting on the old metal. in case you can clarify what exactly is entailed in good treatment of rust damaged body, it will be helpful for me and others reading this thread. also, the rust condition 3 years back was about 85-90% of whatever it is now.

before painting last time, the garage guy told me that once a car gets rust, it will come back no matter what. it is purely a matter of time. same thing was confirmed by honda ASC and other bodywork garages. so getting rust again was expected. in fact, the honda a.s.c guys told me this is why they go for a panel change/door frame change in rust cases, rather than just repairing and repainting on the old metal. in case you can clarify what exactly is entailed in good treatment of rust damaged body, it will be helpful for me and others reading this thread. also, the rust condition 3 years back was about 85-90% of whatever it is now.
i dont know much about body works, but i have seen tinkers doing some welding works on rusted area and give a red oxide coat. then painter will do rest of the job. we did this when our old indica got rusted in the running board.

All cars will rust given time, however how it is maintained also is a factor. If rust treatment is done properly (rust scraped off, rust resisting primer applied and then painted and sealed, it should be able to resist rust for a fairly long time.
You should also do inner compartment rust prevention (wax layering or dinitrol) after the painting job is done.
I strongly suggest that you look outside rather than HASS as they will always have the excuse that rust will return.

Thread Starter #12
UPDATE: As suggested by some here, I approached the local MyTVS Multibrand Car Care center last week. Their website doesn't have the number or address, so I had to call their national call center to get their number, and then call them again to get the address. No, they are not listed on Justdial (I don't know why).

In any case, I spent more than an hour there to get a quote for rust repair and repaint for the car, was given a verbal quote of Rs. 47,000/-, and there would be further extra charges if they use new metal sheets or discovered more rust damage after opening up the car. There was an added element of almost 20% in taxes. Also, they were not offering any warranty whatsoever on the quality of work done. I tried to bargain, so they took my email address and told me they would send me a revised quotation after discussion with management. It has been nearly a week, I am yet to get a proper email quote from them, even after one reminder call after 3-4 days of visiting. I just wanted to put this up for the people on this forum, so that everyone reading (and especially someone connected with MyTVS) should be aware that they are not very responsive, a trait which I value highly as I feel it is an indication of how things are going to be if I give them my car for repairs.

Also, I do remember promising (hell it's in black and white on this page itself) posting pictures of the rust damage, which I will do definitely before sending the car for repairs.

Thread Starter #13
As promised, I have taken pictures of the rust damage today, attached here.

Attachments

UPDATE: As suggested by some here, I approached the local MyTVS Multibrand Car Care center last week. Their website doesn't have the number or address, so I had to call their national call center to get their number, and then call them again to get the address. No, they are not listed on Justdial (I don't know why).

In any case, I spent more than an hour there to get a quote for rust repair and repaint for the car, was given a verbal quote of Rs. 47,000/-, and there would be further extra charges if they use new metal sheets or discovered more rust damage after opening up the car. There was an added element of almost 20% in taxes. Also, they were not offering any warranty whatsoever on the quality of work done. I tried to bargain, so they took my email address and told me they would send me a revised quotation after discussion with management. It has been nearly a week, I am yet to get a proper email quote from them, even after one reminder call after 3-4 days of visiting. I just wanted to put this up for the people on this forum, so that everyone reading (and especially someone connected with MyTVS) should be aware that they are not very responsive, a trait which I value highly as I feel it is an indication of how things are going to be if I give them my car for repairs.

Also, I do remember promising (hell it's in black and white on this page itself) posting pictures of the rust damage, which I will do definitely before sending the car for repairs.
its was just the suggestion to you and rest is your personal preference.Last time i was there to service my car just to have an experience with the place and i m satisfied with their work.

Oops, sad to see those rusty spots buddy. I too faced this issue with my NHC, but the rusting occured in the boot. However in my case, the reason was a minor accident in which the boot was not repaired well, as a result of which the stepney storage area got rusted. I got the entire area cut and then replaced with a new sheet and voila, the things got back to normal.

EDIT: This is definitely not your fault buddy. IMO, do inform the senior Honda official about this issue.

Last edited:

Top Bottom