Maintenance Concerns For a Lesser Used Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

In my home town , we are having Chevy Spark- purchased on 02-April-2011(World Cup Victory day). In last 1.8 years the total odo reading just crossed 1600km. Problem is that my dad does not know driving and even I am also not pushing him to learn. So we get this car out very rarely whenever they have to go outstation or some major shopping or visting doctor or receiving/dropping me to Airport etc etc.

All the four free services are done and as per dad lubricant oil yet to be replaced. This car is basically driven by driver who occasionally touches 90KMPH speed.

Kindly suggest what all regular maintenance we need to do.

1: Do we need to replace the lubricant oil or we should wait for some more KMs. In year we may use at max 1000km. I am suggesting my dad to get oil change at least.

2: Please suggest any other regular maintenance or checks need to be performed. We are in habit of maintaining our rides very well even it is not being used.

3: Is it okay to touch 90KMPH since it has run for only 1600KM.

350Z

Core Team
1: Do we need to replace the lubricant oil or we should wait for some more KMs. In year we may use at max 1000km. I am suggesting my dad to get oil change at least.
I would suggest using the car at least once in a week. Was the oil not changed during service? Get it done.

2: Please suggest any other regular maintenance or checks need to be performed. We are in habit of maintaining our rides very well even it is not being used.
A few quick points that I can recall right now:

> Cover up the car and clean it weekly.

> Park the car in a clean and safe location.

> Keep a certain amount fuel filled in the tank.

> Monitor the tyre pressure and other fluid levels.

> Waxing and anti-rust treatment is good to have.

> Beware or rats or insects dwelling inside the car (Link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...322-how-prevent-rats-entering-inside-car.html).

3: Is it okay to touch 90KMPH since it has run for only 1600KM.
Yup. It should be alright. Just tell him not to rev the car unnecessarily.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I would suggest using the car at least once in a week
Yes,This will also help for longer battery life.
Also It will reduce wear and tear of your tiers as due to idling, the whole cars weight goes on tiers.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Vibhor and Surfer Sir. Points taken.

I will convey each and every points to dad and hopefully he'll go for oil change as soon as time permits. Kindly suggest how much it will cost. I am having no experience in a ownership of car as my Ertiga is yet to be delivered.

Is it okay to to just start the car once in a week and take a turn in our home it self.

Please throw some more light about other fluid levels.

350Z

Core Team
Kindly suggest how much it will cost. I am having no experience in a ownership of car as my Ertiga is yet to be delivered.
Normal engine oil costs less while synthetic engine oil (recommended) should not cost more than thousand bucks.

Is it okay to to just start the car once in a week and take a turn in our home it self.
I’d advice to run it for a kilometer or two at least. This would also help to know about any unexpected issues cropping up in the car on time.

Please throw some more light about other fluid levels.
It includes checking of fluids such as coolant, brake oil, engine oil, power steering fluid etc on regular basis.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i would suggest getting the car serviced every 3 months.
1.This would ensure all oils are topped up.(change the oil every 6 months IMHO)
2. The car is cleaned and door hinges/locks are well lubricated.
3. the battery charging and other stuff such as tye air pressure are taken care of.
For this i would suggest you should go to a competent Freelance Mechanic who can get the above said things at fraction of the amount rather than A.S.S.

There's no need for oil change after just 1600KMs, even SA will refuse. Only tires and battery will require attention. Tires even though will clock few KMs still rubber will degrade with age. Replace tires after 5 years regardless of KMs done.

Also properly warm engine if starting after long idle period's.

Buy them a Jopasu duster!

350Z

Core Team
There's no need for oil change after just 1600KMs, even SA will refuse
It’s advisable to change engine oil as preventive maintenance after certain amount of time (regardless of odo reading). More than 1.5+ Year is good enough if it wasn’t done earlier. Synthetic oil has fairly longer intervals though. Please refer to the car's ownership manual for exact information.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom