How To Buy Car in One State and Register in Another?

Thread Starter #1
I have a question regarding intended purchase of a Verna Fluidic.
We have a house in Mumbai and business as well as residence in Gujarat.
The Verna is available easily in Mumbai but there is a long waiting period in my city in Gujarat. So can I purchase from Mumbai with finance and register in Gujarat? Is this possible and how? Intend to use more in Gujarat with weekly Mumbai trips.

Re: Possible To Purchase in Mumbai and Register in Gujarat?

Don't do this. I have also tried buying a car in another state but came to know about inter city charges(tax to be precise) at a later stage. then had to get the registration done at the place i purchased the car. Lost more than i tried to save due to the time involved.

Thread Starter #3

Don't do this. I have also tried buying a car in another state but came to know about inter city charges(tax to be precise) at a later stage. then had to get the registration done at the place i purchased the car. Lost more than i tried to save due to the time involved.
The Hyundai dealer did not mention any such thing and said it was possible. Not sure what to do. We have residence proof both places, would it still be a problem?

The dealers will never say such things as the are gaining on selling the vehicle.
Yes even if you have residence proofs,it will be a problem as you would have to pay state octroi/taxes in addition to the registration charges at the place you register, if its different from you place of purchase.

Buying a New Car / Bike in Another State!

Guys,

I have heard about the plans of a colleague of mine who says he wants to buy a bike in Jammu and bring it to Hyderabad. Sole reason - Waiting period is 6-9 months here in Hyderabad for Royal Enfield it seems.

So the issue is that he wants to buy it there and won't register in Jammu. He rather wants to register it directly here in Hyderabad. Leave apart the trouble of getting the bike from Jammu to Hyd, I just want to know whether it is legally possible at all ? Will the dealer allow it ?

I have told him not to do this but he made a mock of me [anger] !! Is he correct and am I missing something here ?

Mods: Couldn't find any related thread, please merge is neccessary !!

Re: Possible To Buy Car in One State and Register in Another?

I am also wondering if I can consider buying a car in another state (register in Gujarat) and use it mainly in Mumbai.

I have business and residential house both in Mumbai and Gujarat. so the car will be registered with all the legal docs required for registration in Gujarat but I mainly stay in Mumbai.

Gujarat prices are about a Lakh less compared to here in Mumbai.

Thanks,

Re: cons of buying car from other city/state ???

i am from hyderabad and planning to buy a used car from delhi,
because vehicles are cheap there so should be there any cons of buying that way
I won't recommend that you buy a car from Delhi. The thing is if you buy a car from your nearby state than it's ok but driving a car in your city from Delhi might cause some problems. Until and unless you get the car from Delhi and register it in your state. But in that case the price difference won't be that much. But you can check how much will be the difference in this scenario.

As singh pointed out rightly it's really not worth picking up a used car and re-registering it in your state.

350Z

Core Team

because vehicles are cheap there so should be there any cons of buying that way
Not worth the hassle. You will end up spending for the transportation and registration costs more than the price difference of the car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Registration costs ?? Please explain 350Z

PS: I would love to save some bucks buying a car in another state and spend the amount on fuel,bringing it here
Registration cost here means that you might end up registering the car in your state hence paying the tax on it. Because some states don't allow you to drive cars from other states and especially from states which are from your state.

For ex: Driving a Delhi registered car in Hyderabad.

I am serving Indian Air Force & planing to buy car from Chandigarh & going to move(posting) to Maharashtra. What types of tax should I have to pay if I registered car in Maharashtra itself rather than registering in Chandigarh.
[confused]

I am planning to buy a new car from Mumbai and register it in Gujarat. There is a huge difference in prices. Gujarat has 20% VAT on cars costing 15 lacs and more while the same is just 12.5% in Maharashtra. So if I purchase from Mumbai then the ex-showroom price without octroi is less compared to Gujarat. However, in Gujarat Life Time Road Tax is just 6% while the same is around 11% in Maharashtra. Experts please help. I have address proof for both. Car will be used in both states equally.

Top Bottom