Need Advice - Re-Registration Process with RTO KR Puram

Thread Starter #1
Frenz

I recently have moved to Bangalore from Pune and will need to initiate the Re-Registration process. Just thinking of doing it on my own, if it's not very tough.
  1. What's your suggestion and howz KR Puram RTO to deal with?
  2. Seems I have to pay a hefty amount as Road Tax (14.5% of Invoice Value). Any idea to derive the amount?
Appreciate if any experient can share the overall process or prior experiences.

If you dont mind disclosing can you share the car we are discussing about? How old is it and what's on the ODO? Are you the first owner?

The reason I am asking these as it would help us help you in knowing if the transfer is a feasible option or you should sell the car there and get a new/used one at your new location.

freakdude.

am a resident of k r puram, if you can't spend more money and more time for it then please contact the nearest driving school they know in and out of RTO office, and make your job done easier

Thread Starter #5
If you dont mind disclosing can you share the car we are discussing about? How old is it and what's on the ODO? Are you the first owner?

The reason I am asking these as it would help us help you in knowing if the transfer is a feasible option or you should sell the car there and get a new/used one at your new location.

freakdude.
Mine is Figo clocked 22K and 1 Yr 1 Mth old. No choice of selling it off, as its quite new and I am already in Bangalore.

am a resident of k r puram, if you can't spend more money and more time for it then please contact the nearest driving school they know in and out of RTO office, and make your job done easier
I am too thinking of it… Spoke to the Service Manager in Metro Ford, St. Marks Road. He said we can use the same vendor who registers all the new cars. Not sure of their charges and overall cost. Just contemplating.

Mine is Figo clocked 22K and 1 Yr 1 Mth old. No choice of selling it off, as its quite new and I am already in Bangalore.
Certainly doesn't makes sense to sell it off. Try a decent agent or driving schools guys that might better help you.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #7
Guys, I am done with the Road Tax and Re-Registration process by myself. It was pretty OK and smooth (yeah, but not really).

Both Road Tax payment and Re-registration are 1 task and can be done together. Agents were scaring me that these are 2 different process and was quoting 3K for each.

Now waiting for the Smart Card with the old number and later new number in couple of months.

Will try to post a detailed step-by-step DIY guide soon.

350Z

Core Team
Great to hear that the process went smooth. I would appreciate a DIY Guide. Surely it will benefit many other members. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Guys, I am done with the Road Tax and Re-Registration process by myself. It was pretty OK and smooth (yeah, but not really).

Both Road Tax payment and Re-registration are 1 task and can be done together. Agents were scaring me that these are 2 different process and was quoting 3K for each.

Now waiting for the Smart Card with the old number and later new number in couple of months.

Will try to post a detailed step-by-step DIY guide soon.
ya its really great job done as dealing with RTO people is one of the difficult job in this world.request you to help other fellow TAI'ns by shearing your experience.[clap]

Hi Figoian,
Could you please share your experience about re-registration your vehicle?

I too am in the same situation - moved to Bangalore from Delhi, got my 5 year old car too here, have obtained NOC from Delhi and now need to re-register it at RTO KR Puram...so need your guidance :)

1. How do they calculate tax?
A. Would I pay for entire lifetime (15 years) or remaining (10 years)?
B. Would it be only the tax on invoice value, or something else e.g. some CESS too?
2. Tax payment and re-registration - are these two different steps, requiring two different forms / set of papers?
3. Since I / my car came here 8 months back, NOC too is old - do you know if I would have to pay any penalty?

Your help would greatly be appreciatd.
Thanks,
MahajanY

Thread Starter #12
Welcome to Bangalore... My comments are inline (Bold).

Hi Figoian,
Could you please share your experience about re-registration your vehicle?

I too am in the same situation - moved to Bangalore from Delhi, got my 5 year old car too here, have obtained NOC from Delhi and now need to re-register it at RTO KR Puram...so need your guidance :)

1. How do they calculate tax?
A. Would I pay for entire lifetime (15 years) or remaining (10 years)? Not sure. My guess is, should be for the reminder.
B. Would it be only the tax on invoice value, or something else e.g. some CESS too? Yes. Tax on the invoice value, minus depreciation.
2. Tax payment and re-registration - are these two different steps, requiring two different forms / set of papers? Good question. While I submitted the papers, I was said it's all in one. But after more than 6 months and numerous follow ups, now I just have got only the KA Smart Card with old MH number. When I asked about the new number, they asked me to apply separately for the same. RTO Zindabaad.
3. Since I / my car came here 8 months back, NOC too is old - do you know if I would have to pay any penalty? Yes. You should pay the Road Tax in the new state with in a month of issuance of NOC from the previous state. If not, it attracts penalty for every defaulted month. Moreover, I heard that the NOC is valid only for 6 months, but not very sure. You better check with KR Puram RTO before you proceed with Road Tax etc.

Your help would greatly be appreciatd.
Thanks,
MahajanY

Hi Figoian,
Thank you for the reply.

Here's my progress.
I gave my papers to an agent (through somebody...in fact a network of somebodies...) - I gave him papers listed in Form 27 and filled up form KMV_27), and he gave be those back arranged in a file,with following changes:
1. My form 27 (printed from internet) were removed.
2. One KMV_27 (official print out)
3. Form 14 ("Naveen Snakhaya 14, Motor Vahangal Ilakhi Niyam 17 Nodi")
4. Form 33 (see rule 59).

All the tax was calculated on Form-14 - not sure by some RTO official or that agent. I would show below the percentage figures of tax etc., but I think (s)he did it wrong as he calculated tax on Cost + (already paid) VAT. So, I'm planning to go there myself.
Price at Delhi: X
Discount: 10%, so net cost is 0.9 X
Total Invoice amount after Vat@12.5% i.e. Cost in Delhi 1.125* (0.9 * x)

Now (s)he is calculating everything - _ON_ Price and Vat, and has also been disregarding the discount, i.e. on 1.125*X. Also, all he gave me were figures, so I am not sure of say %age-slabs of cess and "P" could vary, it is as below:

1. KA Tax rate: 13% ( Looks OK as per http://rto.kar.nic.in/KMVTA 2010.pdf- my vehicle is < 5L)
2. Tax in KA - 75% (4 to 5 years old - again KMVTA 2010, page 4 and 5)
3. Cess: 11%...%age not give, calculated
4. Net amount: X* 0.13 *0.75*1.11
5. P (that guy wrote P - I assume that it is penalty..) 12% of net amount - again, %age not give, calculated
Final amount I need to shell out is mentioned as (1.125 * x ) * 0.13 * 0.75 * 1.11 * 1.12

I am not sure, but what I believe that I should be paying taxes on 0.9*x and since VAT is already a tax, and one should not pay tax on a tax.

I think guy in Delhi told me that validity of NOC is for one year - will update what RTO guys tell me here.

Thanks again... :)

Hey
Just got my vehicle re-registered today - reached home around half an hour back. I would put the detailed - which counter - which official and which paper need report later on tonight, but in short:
1. I had to pay tax on whole invoice amount - not just VAT, but discount too was used in calculations.
2. It could be done on a Saturday also - i.e. NO agent, and ON Satruday - cash counter (they take DD's too at the /cash/ counter) remains open till 12:30, but office is open till 5 in the evening. Office opens at 10 am and at around 1 pm (+1h - 0.5h) they go for lunches in different batches.
3. It was LTT paid + re-registration - they took my Dilli-wala smart card and gave me an acknowledgement (for KA Smart card, which they told me that it will reach in 30 days)

Cheers...I do promise to put my experience here before it evaporates!

Aim…:
1. To pay life-time tax
2. To re-register my car in KA / get KA-wallah smart card, if they are one and the same things.

Background:
11 months back I moved to Bangalore from Delhi. At Delhi too I got my NOC without any agent, and without any extra payments. But unfortunately in Bangalore I became lazy (blame the weather, no!) and fell in the traps of a Friendly Neighborhood RTO Agent (will be called FNRA henceforth), to whom I had to pay eventually INR500 to get my papers back – basically the original invoice. I panicked because first he didn’t give me the break-up of fee, and then told me that a further fee of INR 5k would be required to register the car, so I decided to take things in my hand.

Be equipped…with forms, documents and information:
1. NOC from Delhi – remains valid for a year (forgot to ask, but since they didn’t object, I guess it was good enough).
2. KMVA27 – get from internet – and as many copies as it asks – i.e. 2. Get the vehicle chassis’ number imprint (with an HB pencil) ahead of your visit – because this is all the MVI – the Motor Vehicle Inspect will do / will ask you to do.
3. Get a self-addressed envelope (self-address with your vehicle number on top, and your phone number as well – you’ll get your smart card in this…), with postal stamps of Rs.17.
4. ...and a transparent, small poly-pack/bag (to put your existing RC – they’ll take that).
5. Address proof – only BSNL land-line bill, election card, DL, Passport are, Water/Electricity bill accepted. If you have anything else then be armed with an affidavit. I had bank address proof, co HR letter and a Vodafone cell-phone bill (just 3…) – so he asked for Rental agreement - since our rental agreement is in the name of my better half, so finally I was told to submit an affidavit (after some half a million of pleeeeze Saar, help me's .).
6. RTO site mentions about ID proof, 3 photos etc. – be sure to take them all
7. Forms needed – contains some extra ones than those listed on RTO - thankfully already added by my FNRA for me in a file:
a. Form 14 – on this the RTO official calculates taxes (after going through vehicle invoice, I had original one).
b. Form 33 – with one photo pasted on it.
c. Form 27 (the official one) – stick one photo on it.
d. The KMVA 27 from RTO site - imprint your chassis number on this (vertically, on the right where it doesn’t hide any text – mind it!)
e. From your old RTO, Form 28 with chassis number imprinted on that
f. NOC – from your old RTO
g. Address proof…I had to give one affidavit (+ a vodafone bill too..)
h. ID proof…DL, PAN card copies
i. Vehicle Insurance copy
j. Vehicle PUC – PUC andre pollution - copy
k. RC – photocopied….yeah, and then they keep original too
Forms a,b,c and d above could be purchased (in addition to the envelopes, affidavit etc.) from the shops at the back of RTO office.

8. Last, but not the least, put all this in a file secured by a tag.

Monies exchanged:
1. LTT – la Life Time Tax – through a DD (SBI Battrahali is around 1.5 km away), get it and then submit it at cash counter
2. Rs.137 – smart card fee at cash counter
3. Rs.20 – for change of address – at cash counter
….join the second queue (from left) in the ‘cash counter’ hall as only that one takes fee for registration form other states.
4. Rs.63 – for biometric sticker – room #5, ground floor.

…and here are the steps...I started at 10, finished at 3:30:
1. Get your vehicle’s tax estimated – on form 14, first floor, first room the right most counter (opposite to door). He will calculate it and put his signatures too on form 14.
a. If you are lucky, then he will check the papers too and will put his signatures / will tell you to get lost and come again with some other document without which world won’t run…else it would be done later on.
b. Somewhere in the end, they do verify that tax-estimation and submission (which you plan for today, I guess) was done in the same month.
2. Get DD made (I think they don’t take cash more than 3k), rush to second floor, first room, the left-most counter, get data-entry done from the girl there.
3. Submit DD and other fee for address, smart card on the ground floor – enjoy your time in the crowd, but yes, it was empty till 10:30.
a. If your “data entry” has not been done (at 2nd floor), you’ll be kicked out/back.
b. Didn’t I say the second queue…?
You will get two receipts here – one of the LTT paid, and the second one for smart-card+address change – 137+20. Keep the original of first receipt (LTT) with you –– with this one, you may, if you wish, exit the process and keep on driving with your old number. Put rest two in the “file”.

4. Then, for Rs.63, get the biometric sticker from Ground floor, Room No-5 – in cash, submitted on that desk itself and he would stick that sticker on the second receipt.
5. Now go to second floor, second person from left, show him the documents / fee receipts / sticker etc.– at that time he looked for superintendent’s signature on papers (Big S sits on the 1st floor, the one who calculates tax) – his signature means documents re OK (Tax amount verification/calculation and payment are NOT same as “Documents OK”…).
6. First floor – Mr.Superintendent – may tell you that x is missing – I was asked to bring a rent agreement, then BSNL phone bill, and then water or electricity bill, finally he settled at only an affidavit (+ mobile bill, original – why original, please do _NOT_ ask…a poor chap there was told to bring an affidavit last week and now a rent agreement this week). He would do:
a. Check documents
b. Put docs in order
c. For me he was gracious enough to staple third photo on a form for which I could not “discover” the place.
d. Tag the documents very-very and very carefully.
He should have verified it earlier, but I guess he likes to meet each honest tax paying citizen at least twice.
7. Now, go to the opposite room (Asst RTO? 1st floor) for his signatures on complete papers.
8. Next step – physical verification of your car by MVI – the motor vehicle inspector – he is the gentleman with khaki police-esque clothes and standing outside (cursing various poor human entities trying their hands on driving ….na na na na it von’t do). Although he disappears more frequently than the Cheshire cat, but luck was on my side that he was standing opposite to my car. He asked me to open the hood and matched pencil-imprint on KMV27 with chassis-number, then signed it - took just a couple of minutes.
9. Go back, ground floor, for MVI’s seal (at the back of a form…was it form 33?). These fellows ask you to travel between first-floor room number 5 from where you would be directed back…which may get stuck in a loop. Finally, I left my papers in room # 5 (2nd floor), and the gentleman told me to wait - that my name would be called after data is entered. Data entry is done on the second floor, so your file would probably move up and then back down, but yes, this is the most relaxing part of this whole process….go out, have some junk food and enjoy. You have paid taxes, have got vehicle inspected…..elephant gone, tail remaining.
10. Finally get your file and take that to second floor, 2nd counter form right the lady there would make an entry in diary and would give you an acknowledgement for papers that would say that the document will come through speed post.
My habit of constant snooping helped me here as that lady while making an entry in diary did miss one letter of my Delhi’s registration number.
11. There is no step 11 – at least in the office. Lady there - of step-10 (and the gentleman there as well) told me to rejoice and wait till 30 days and if smart card is not received, only then show my face in the office for inquiry. And for all the future police/traffic-police/RTO officer’s encounters, they told me to shove that acknowledgement on their faces.

Though my forms were complete, but I had most of the things – simple things, except for file and the tag were missing, so every flight from room-x to room-y included a midway visit to next door shops…go get an envelope, an affidavit, and finally the clear plastic pack for RC…plus a million visits in between to buy water as I was told that there is, dear God listen please, no drinking water in that whole office!
Not a single time they told me two things in a single sentence – so it was first get an envelope, then get a clear plastic one for RC…telling more than one thing in a single sentence will, probably, break whatever oath they took at the time of joining the government service.

Better get all the forms mentioned above (and if RTO site says, extra too), because if anything is missing, they won’t inform you first time…there was a chap who was first told that everything is OK, then to get form 27, and then 33…..I too was told about the biometric sticker after I paid fee and went (back) on 2nd floor for verification of papers...and was told to get signatures of Big S after getting sticker and I went (back, after the last back) for verification round-II...

Trivia:
- Next door photocopy / Xerox shops sell everything e.g. files, tags etc…they even make affidavit, and (hold your breath…) rent agreement and (Ok, this time, please do hold it) electricity bills as well…..
- These shops provide “RTO Services” as well.
- Shall I complain…these shop charge 3/- for a photocopy – which is on the higher side I told them, but aunty there pointed out that next shop is some one km away!
- Language…speak Kannada, or at least understand it…otherwise first they won’t understand English till you start talking in Hindi, at which point you will be told to speak in English ;). But nobody in that office harasses you just because you don’t know the lingua-franca. In fact they even sent their boy with me to show me room #5 to take papers – may be because of (see last line), but they are good – even if slow/not keen on sharing information in a single go.
- Office timings are 10-5 (OK, can’t confirm 5, but they work till at least 3:30…), cash counters remain open between 10-2:30 on weekdays and 10-12:30 on Saturday, and yes, 2nd Saturday of the month is a holiday.

Next Mission:
Get refund of LTT paid (for rest of the life my car) at Delhi.

Most stupid thing I did – you won’t even believe it – took my four year ol’ with me!

Top Bottom