The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Loan, Insurance, RTO (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/loan-insurance-rto/)
-   -   Difference Between LTT and OTT Road Tax? (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/loan-insurance-rto/6607-difference-between-ltt-ott-road-tax.html)

realmccoy 4th March 2012 08:02 PM

Difference Between LTT and OTT Road Tax?

I have seen some tax receipts in which the tax paid upto column mentions "LTT" and for some "OTT"

whats the difference or their just the same?

Umang 5th March 2012 12:17 PM

Re: Difference Between LTT and OTT Road Tax?

hey buddy LTT is life time road tax and OTT is one time road tax!

realmccoy 5th March 2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umang (Post 140847)
hey buddy LTT is life time road tax and OTT is one time road tax!

They both mean the same ? (coz you pay tax for individual vehicles only once)

sethumurugan 16th November 2013 09:44 AM

Re: Velvet Sparky - Review After 10,000 Kms on Odometer

Guys tell me one thing, the road tax that we pay at the time of buy our ride is life time or to be paid every year.

Yesterday I saw a news in local news paper that RTOs are planing to provide provision for online payment. in that news a part of news reads like now a days only for 2 wheeler it is paid as life time and for others it is paid in different intervals and i got shocked. I was assuming that all white board (private vehicles) are paid road tax once at the time of buying a car which is for life time of the vehicle whether it is two wheeler or four wheeler.

Just throw some lights friends.

Carma 16th November 2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethumurugan (Post 344286)
Guys tell me one thing, the road tax that we pay at the time of buy our ride is life time or to be paid every year.

Yesterday I saw a news in local news paper that RTOs are planing to provide provision for online payment. in that news a part of news reads like now a days only for 2 wheeler it is paid as life time and for others it is paid in different intervals and i got shocked. I was assuming that all white board (private vehicles) are paid road tax once at the time of buying a car which is for life time of the vehicle whether it is two wheeler or four wheeler.

The road tax we have paid during purchase of our car/bike is life time tax to be paid once only.

sethumurugan 16th November 2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carma (Post 344329)
The road tax we have paid during purchase of our car/bike is life time tax to be paid once only.

Thanks buddy. That is great relief. So every year we should keep paying our insurance alone.

Carma 17th November 2013 06:27 PM

Exactly. And paying insurance yearly is very easy nowadays. I compare different policies on policy bazaar and choose the cheapest & best one that suits me.

sethumurugan 17th November 2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carma (Post 344549)
Exactly. And paying insurance yearly is very easy nowadays. I compare different policies on policy bazaar and choose the cheapest & best one that suits me.

Ya, I know it is very simple. For my Bike and Car I do it online within minutes. I generally go with insurance company in which service center has tie-up. It is really easy when we need the insurance.

I used to see other people those who are not with those insurance company and struggle when they need.

AR Ram 18th November 2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethumurugan (Post 344286)

@sethu

I think life tax is paid for 15 years, normally it is calculated by the concerned transport department is that the life of the vehicle is only for 15 years, and after which you will have to pay annual road tax every year. And even if they implement a new rule to pay tax in intervals it will be applicable only for new vehicles. This is what I guess.

souvikjana83 10th September 2017 08:42 AM

Hi,

I need a view on road tax rule for re-registration of outer state vehicle.

For an 8 year old vehicle the depriciated value of the vehicle is 73.3%. Now the RTO tax when purchased was 4%. Today it is 11% (in other state). So during re-registration the tax paid for 8 year old vehicle is 8% of original value of car (which is double amount to the original road tax).

I have 2 questions to this theory:

1. When road tax is paid, it is paid for driving full 15 yrs on road. But for 8 yr old vehicle, it will be driven for rest 7 yrs only. So why should payment be done at the current rate.

2. If payment is done at current rate, then technically the vehicle should be allowed to be driven for another 15 yrs.

I hope someone can clarify on the above 2 points.

TIA
Souvik

akop.4040 1st October 2017 05:38 PM

If we pay road tax, forget about one year or life time, at the time of purchase then they shouldn't ask for toll taxes, which is connected to the roads also.