What is a Temporary Registration Number?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
temporary_number_plate.jpg
Above: A brand new car wearing the typical temporary registration number plate.

Ever seen a motor vehicle with different registration number plate, something marked with like “TR” or “TEMP” and wondered what it could be? Well, that’s the temporary vehicle registration number. A temporary registration number is usually assigned by the dealership from which the Car / Bike is purchased. As simple as its name says, the temporary registration number serves the purpose when the car is brand new and is yet to be permanently registered. This unique number is normally valid for a period of maximum one month, in which the car should be registered by the concerned regional transport office authority. While your car is wearing a temporary registration plate, you must always keep all the necessary documents along, such as driving license, invoice of the vehicle, insurance certificate and most importantly the temporary registration paper, because as long as you have the complete valid documents, the cops cannot ask you to pay for the fine. Although, one can drive the car with temporary registration number from one state to another but the previously mentioned documents must be presented for verification, if asked to.

Also, it is important to note that some states in India, like Tamil Nadu do not allow the use of temporary registration number. In such cases, the dealerships are supposed to first permanently register the car and then hand over to its real owner. The permanent registration number typically lasts for up to fifteen years. In-case the owner wishes to extend the period of temporary registration number, an application should be drafted for registering authority, mentioning the time-frame of extension period along with the following:

- Copy of Address Proof
- Copy of insurance certificate
- Copy of sales certificate Form 21
- Pollution under control certificate.
- Temporary registration form C.R.Tem.
- Copy of road worthiness certificate (22 and 22A)

While the form 21, 22 and 22A will be provided by the dealership itself, a separate copy of custom clearance certificate is also necessary in case of imported vehicle. Attached below is Form C.R.Tem.

PS: Common Abbreviations: TR = To Register. AF = Applied For.

Attachments

Useful thread though in TN even if the rule says as such you can find many new vehicles plying on the road without getting registered and also a temporary number.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
I'm attaching the other list of documents for imported vehicles. (Credit: HMMWV)

- Clearance Cert (per car)
- Copy of Import Export License (one time)
- Copy of ARAI/ICAT Certification (one time, per model)
- Bill Of Entry (per car)
- Bill Of Transport (per car)
- Form #22 (per car)

Drive Safe,
350Z

Excellent information 350Z
In Mumbai Pune region couple of times I have seen number plate in Black with Yellow numbers.
I wonder what significance of this color combination is in number plate.
Sure that it may not be mistake or user preference of having such number plate.

I know White number plate with black numbers means private vehicles
Yellow number plate with black numbers is tourist vehicle
Black number plate with yellow numbers is puzzle .

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
I wonder what significance of this color combination is in number plate. Sure that it may not be mistake or user preference of having such number plate.
I have seen such number plates usually on the Hotel Taxi’s in Delhi (The Claridges, Taj etc).

Drive Safe,
350Z

informative thread 350Z!! yeah i have also seen black plates with yellow numbers of hotels. they are on rental car services also..

To add on to this previously a couple of years back the number plates for Private Vehicles were painted Black with Registration Numbers written in White.
For Transport Vehicles the number plates were again painted Black and Registration Numbers were written in Yellow.
I think after the RTO changed the number plate system the owners might not have changed the number plates, I may be wrong, but this is what i believe.

In Mumbai Pune region couple of times I have seen number plate in Black with Yellow numbers.
It is a rental vehicle. Usually car rental companies like Budget & Hertz have this. In Goa you can rent bikes and all these have similar plates. The series is from the public vehicles.
Also, it is important to note that some states in India, like Tamil Nadu do not allow the use of temporary registration number. In such cases, the dealerships are supposed to first permanently register the car and then hand over to its real owner.
Same in Goa. Only the dealer is allowed to use the Temp Plates.

These kind of number plates are for rental vehicles with 'Self Drive' permission. That explains the Goa bikes as well.

I guess those are for fleet operators, The vehicles which are always used for private commercial purpose,but not as a normal Taxi's or Cabs.These are not available for Hire to general Public.

Not sure though!

I guess those are for fleet operators, The vehicles which are always used for private commercial purpose,but not as a normal Taxi's or Cabs.These are not available for Hire to general Public.

Not sure though!
As I had mentioned earlier, it is for rental vehicles. It means that anyone with a Non-Professional Driving Licence (the one most of us have) can drive it. For public vehicles (goods) you need a Professional Licence and in case of public vehicles (passenger) you need a Professional Licence as well as a badge.

As I had mentioned earlier, it is for rental vehicles. It means that anyone with a Non-Professional Driving Licence (the one most of us have) can drive it. For public vehicles (goods) you need a Professional Licence and in case of public vehicles (passenger) you need a Professional Licence as well as a badge.
That exactly explains.

There is a wiki on our indian number plate system, read on
Vehicle registration plates of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Bottom