Registered But Number Not Alloted: Driving Interstate

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Got my new car couple of days back. It's been registered with Bangalore RTO but number hasn't been allotted yet. I have the registration document( without the number) and insurance.

Have to make a trip to Tamil Nadu tomorrow - will I be ok with just the documents?
If not, will be just fined or will they not let me drive if caught?

Thank you.

Re: Registered but no number allotted : Driving interstate

In Bangalore, if the vehicle is registered , by evening, you will get the number.Contact your dealer.
You had not told, if it is temporary registration or not.
In both cases, you must be able to travel.

Thread Starter #3
It's permanent registration. And I contacted my dealer many times he's saying it will arrive this Saturday i.e 4 days after taking delivery. He's not giving any reason just saying it takes a while.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Like general max said as soon as the car is regestered you get the number alloted.

He's talking about the actual number plate to come on saturday.

Ask him the number and get a temporary number plate from the local car market.

Won't recommned traveling on "tp" plates.
In delhi there's a challan of 5000rs for driving on tp plates.
According to the government site , tp is allowed just to go from showroom to home and then from home to the authority to get the petmanent number plate.

Last edited:
Once you have paid the road tax, you are allowed to travel, in my view or at-least what I was told. When caught / inspected, show the original tax receipt. And of course all other documents (insurance, license, full invoice of the car from the dealer - mentioning the chasis/engine no, etc).

You don't need to put a TP plate per se. I got my special number only after 10-15 days. I was roaming around with REGD on the back & an empty number plate panel. No one even stopped me or asked anything. I have also seen many on the highways. From Bangalore, I did cross over to TN. No issues at that time (Oct/Nov 2015).

I had done same with my Bullet too. Although in the Bullet, never went out of state.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys. After a complaint at Hyundai Customer Relations, the dealer called back immediately and told me the number but said the number plate won't arrive till couple of days. I went ahead and printed out the number on a sheet and stuck it at back and front :D
Did not face any issues, had smooth travel and wasn't pulled over.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Once you have paid the road tax, you are allowed to travel, in my view or at-least what I was told. When caught / inspected, show the original tax receipt. And of course all other documents (insurance, license, full invoice of the car from the dealer - mentioning the chasis/engine no, etc).

You don't need to put a TP plate per se. I got my special number only after 10-15 days. I was roaming around with REGD on the back & an empty number plate panel. No one even stopped me or asked anything. I have also seen many on the highways. From Bangalore, I did cross over to TN. No issues at that time (Oct/Nov 2015).

I had done same with my Bullet too. Although in the Bullet, never went out of state.
Just because you were not stopped , doesn't mean it's legal.

The fine for using the term “Unregistered Vehicles” or displaying “Applied For” or Trade Certificate (TC) is Rs.2000 under 39/ 192 MVA

Attachments

Just because you were not stopped , doesn't mean it's legal.
I didn't mean to say 'Unregistered vehicle' / 'Applied For'. What I meant was that registration is done (REGD, meaning Registered). You do get a Temporary Registration Number, till you get your special number. You do not need to display your Temp Regn Number. Since I have always got 'Special Numbers', I am unsure of the normal registration process. Since I was familiar with 'Temp Registered' 3 times (Yamaha, Bullet, Scorpio) & have roamed with Temp Registration documents, I suggested the same.

Temporary registration is valid for one month. With that registration, inter state also is possible. I had done that and police had not made an issue out of that.

Top Bottom