Moving My Car To Chennai From Uttarakhand

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Finally decided to move my car from Uttaranchal to chennai - Yes -- looooong trip.
Yess- Driving down to Chennai....
Plan to use this car in Chennai for a couple of years...
I need a suggestion.

I want to avoid all hassles of driving a out of state car in TN. I dont mind paying the one time tax in Chennai. Do I need any NOC from Uttaranchal to pay this one time
tax in chennai?
Will paying one time tax in chennai - stop the traffic cops from harassing me?
Do I need to do anything else? Please advise... Thx

Re: Moving Car to Chennai

Let me give you what I have done while moving from Pune to Mangalore.

You have to get NOC from Uttaranchal ( Better to get it done through some agent by paying his fees to avoid any delay in getting the NOC). Keep few xerox copies of Road Tax and Registration with you.

On reaching Chennai, you have to apply for new RC and to pay Road tax etc, Better to take the help of an agent in Chennai. Otherwise it is not easy to do it on your own because RTO is a very notorious agency every where.

Once you get the new RC and Tax paid, you can send application to Asstt Commissioner RTO - Uttaranchal by enclosing the xerox copies of new RC and Tax paid and request them to refund your Tax paid in Uttaranchal . They will refund your tax paid in Uttaranchal by proportionately deducting the amount for the period you used your car in that state. However someone from your side should follow it up with RTO - Uttaranchal, otherwise getting refund is not that easy.

one more point I would like to add is, you can use your car for a maximum period of 12 months in another state, if you will be in another state for a year only.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response.
I do not intend to transfer the registration of the car. I would continue to use the Uttaranchal
number plates in TN (but would like to pay the one time tax in TN) Will this be enuf.
My understanding is NOC is required when we need to transfer the registration. In my case,
transfer of registration is not involved.

Oh ok. As far as I know you can use the car by paying Road tax in new state without getting NOC from your state where your car is registered. However this is valid for a year only and if you go back to your state, you won’t get any refund .
After one year you have no other option but to get the new registration in the new state. I don’t know whether the rules are now changed as I am talking about the rules of 2000.

Thread Starter #6
Just checked with the local Chennai RTO office. They said the annual tax provision has been stopped.
I can only pay life time tax in Chennai for out of state cars. For this NOC is not required and I can continue to use the same Uttaranchal registration number.

Can anyone confirm if this indeed is true?

Top Bottom