Process of Re-Registering a Car in India

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Just curious, did anyone had to re-register their car after the registration expired? (Typically after 15 years). If so, what were exactly the procedures followed and fee paid?

Drive Safe,
350Z

I though this thread was started by holy satan.

After 15 years we need to take fitness certificate.
litrally paint , new seat cover , good tyres , over all good driving condition car , with pollution certificates - means , you need to maintain or make ready the car in perfect condition.

Ok comming on to topic , re reg from one state to another.

Why we need to pay tax and re reg again , for a private vehicle , while it has freedom to travel any state with out paying a tax , doesnt it have permission to stay.

Our gcb reg omni(gujarat) was re reg in pondicherry after we decide to settle here finally.

Now holy satan car is ap , and we need to re reg in tn or py.

the thing is people say , we can retain the original number and use here just by paying tax.

An 3 to 4 years old apache 150 , py reg need to pay a tax of 6000/- in chennai. it has py num , just the tax , if we want a tn num another 1000 or less like that .

So exactly what is this ? why is this ?

ilango[speed thirst];61068 said:
litrally paint , new seat cover , good tyres , over all good driving condition car , with pollution certificates - means , you need to maintain or make ready the car in perfect condition.
They are basically checking the roadworthiness of the car. So you need PUC plus the following should be in working / good condition:
-Brakes
-Lights
-Wipers
-Tyres
-Seat Belts

No need of paint and seat covers. Of course your paint colour should match that written in the RC book. They'll verify the engine & chassis number.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
ilango[speed thirst];61068 said:

Ok comming on to topic , re reg from one state to another.

Why we need to pay tax and re reg again , for a private vehicle , while it has freedom to travel any state with out paying a tax , doesnt it have permission to stay.

Our gcb reg omni(gujarat) was re reg in pondicherry after we decide to settle here finally.

Now holy satan car is ap , and we need to re reg in tn or py.

the thing is people say , we can retain the original number and use here just by paying tax.

An 3 to 4 years old apache 150 , py reg need to pay a tax of 6000/- in chennai. it has py num , just the tax , if we want a tn num another 1000 or less like that .

So exactly what is this ? why is this ?
Thanks for that. But I would like to know the process of re-registering the car once the actual actual registration expires. So, Please elaborate more on the first para.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks for that. But I would like to know the process of re-registering the car once the actual actual registration expires. So, Please elaborate more on the first para.

Drive Safe,
350Z
We did with a help of broker/agent . Normally its done in this way to avoid headache.
literally the rto will check your car and then start and drive(rare).

You need to sign some forms and need to be present there with car.

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Okay. That's alright. And approx. how much cost was involved in your case?

Drive Safe,
350Z

I have a Maruti 800 1990 S.Grey AC. The RC re-registration and FC for this car has been overdue by 7 years but the car is in top notch working condition (except for shockers and AC). I would like to know can I go on my own to the RTO and get it done without any legal issues (I am willing to pay penalties if any) or would I need to contact an RTO Agent?

This car was originally registered in PB and was later transferred to UP in 2002 and again lifetime tax for UP was paid in 2002, though I have not opted for number change so it is still a PB number.

Would I be required to repay the road tax again for getting my RC renewed? Also the car is in name of my late father (2nd owner).

I want to hold on to this car just for the sake of memory :)

No major hassles. You can go to RTO on your own. For comfort route it thru agents because your situation is already complicated.

Since reregistration is overdue. You can always tell you were outside the country hence could not do it or the car was locked up in a garage and not used in the last 7 years.

You will need to pay fines to get it done.

Next re-registration will be valid for 5 years. You will have to pay Road tax for next 5 years (+ last 7 years + fine).

Process needs to be repeated every 5 years.

Since resale value at this stage is < 20K, do it only if you are very keen. To get papers in order you may need to spend 20-25K

If you leave it like this only issue is you will be driving an illegal car. I should not advise this but if RTO catches you on Road you can always get away with 500 Rs.

You can always sell the vehicle after 10 years again for < 10K.

If you manage to get vintage status like this then you can sell for a profit.

1 time tax means it is valid for 15 years.

If you wish to keep the cars after 15 years you will have to renew Fitness and pay road tax every 5 year.

RC renewal may be 1K since it is related to fitness renewal, Road tax is separate and will vary based on engine size. Road tax is paid to Govt for using public roads.

Check your papers throughly, 1 time tax is calculated from the date of 1st registration, even if you have it re-registered in 2002 it should ideally expire in 2005 (15 years from 1990) however if they have done it again for 15 years then it will expire in 2017.

Pre-1990 car registration would not mention the expiry dates on RC book. This was introduced in 1990-91

Hmm my M800 RC states that the RC is valid for 15yrs and is registered in 1991. So the Road tax which I paid in 2002 for UP (around 7k) was just for 3 years?

Think I'll get hold of some RTO agent hope he can make the task easy.

Thanks for the help.

i have registered my car in AP, now i am staying in MH, do i need to re-register it here? i was travelling cross borders once or twice in a month. pls advice.

Thread Starter #15

350Z

Core Team
Following are the documents required to re-register a car once the registration has been expired (15 Years). Also, the car has to be taken to a zonal office for visual road worthiness inspection.

- Application on form 25.
- Registration certificate in original.
- Proof for the payment of up-to-date road tax paid.
- Attested copy of insurance certificate.
- Attested copy of pollution under control certificate.
- Attested copy of address proof.
- Payment of tax dues if any.
- Prescribed Fee

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom