Buying in One State & Driving To Home State

Thread Starter #1
Okay,
I have seen this asked here dozens of times and dozens of time people have responded by saying "Dont do it, its not worth the hassle".
So in response to that, let me say, please dear experts, dont judge the book by it's cover.
For example, I have been wanting to get my hands on a vehicle from 2000 it doesnt have a commercial value as dozens of these are sold for just 50k everywhere but that particular vehicle is of a very particular interest to me.

Vehicles are like that. People develop such bonds with their vehicles.

Now, coming to my actual query.
Lets say I live at kolkata and I will predominantly drive my yet to be purchased car there.
Say I spot a vehicle registered in Nagaland. It is registered there.

What do I need to do, if I want to go there. Buy it and DRIVE it to kolkata?

If I register the car in Nagaland do I have to re-register in Kolkata?

Does this vary from state to state? For instance instead of Nagaland Bengal, what if it is Bengal and Goa? or Jammu and Jharkhand?

Please,
Only if you know the procedure then share that info here. This is not a thread to judge whether such a move is financially viable.

In case if you are referring to a 2000 model (or around) used vehicle purchase from Nagaland and use it in Kolkata, below is the procedure

- Purchase the vehicle with all required documents (RC, Insurance, transfer forms, NOC)
- Since the vehicle is already 15+ years old, fitness test to be done and RC to be renewed (if not done by the current owner)
That's all for the formalities at source destination. Keep in mind don't get the vehicle unless the documents are current (FC, Insurance)

At your destination,
- Land at your RTO with above mentioned documents along with your address / ID proof (for ownership transfer) along with relevant fee (check with RTO / agent)
- NOC will be sent to the source RTO and checked for getting it acknowledged and once it is done, RTO will intimate you regarding the same
- Once if all the above process is done, you have to pay the local RTO road tax and get it re-registered

I hope I covered all the points and makes sense. This procedure holds good for all states (few exceptions like Delhi where re-registration of 15+ year old vehicles are banned)

Thread Starter #3
Thank you.

After obtaining the source paper works can I drive the vehicle to my home state? Say from Nagaland to Kolkata through Chicken's neck?

Second part of the question being,
What if I buy from Delhi, I am aware of the banning of old registration norm newly enforced there by the NGT.
What is the procedure of buying there and driving the vehicle all the way down to Kolkata (or kanyakumari perhaps)

All of this is assuming I have the all india driver's license.

After obtaining the source paper works can I drive the vehicle to my home state? Say from Nagaland to Kolkata through Chicken's neck?

What if I buy from Delhi,

What is the procedure of buying there and driving the vehicle all the way down to Kolkata (or kanyakumari perhaps)
Procedure remains same.

All of this is assuming I have the all india driver's license.
Wait!
"Assuming"? So what license do you posses now?

Thread Starter #5
Procedure remains same.

Wait!
"Assuming"? So what license do you posses now?
Two wheeler state license mc ex50cc. I am planning to inquire at the RTO on the process to upgrade this to LMV. I am at this point also not sure if there are different categories of LMV that restrict me to a state or if my yet to be acquired LMV license is good for every state.

Top Bottom