When To Claim Insurance?

Thread Starter #1
My baleno is 6 month old , going for second service. i do have some scatches and dents.
which is estimated around 10k [multiple places , 2k,2k,6k]

so i am thinking of using insurance for 6k work. but many are suggesting against that.
If we dont claim , how much bonus we are going to get..?

Re: When to claim insurance..?

My baleno is 6 month old , going for second service. i do have some scatches and dents.

so i am thinking of using insurance for 6k work. but many are suggesting against that.

When I took my Baleno Diesel in November 2015 I paid around Rs 26000/- as insurance premium. This year I paid Rs 15000 which includes NCB ( 20%) – Rs 1845. NCB we get only on Own Damage section which in my case is Rs 9228. So in a premium of Rs 15000 we are getting Rs 1845 only as NCB. If you make a claim now, you need to pay this Rs 1800-2000 extra in your next renewal. So in terms of money I don’t see any issue in making claims for even small repairs. The only issue I see when you want to sell your vehicle. The prospective buyer may look into insurance records and repair records in MASS and resale value will go down.

Here are some of the points you should consider before making a claim.

1) Zero Dep claim is available only for 2 times in a year. So if you make 2 claims for small repairs and if something major incidents happens, then you need to pay more for repair.

2) Small dents and scratches are next to impossible to avoid in city condition. Even if you repair those small dents, you dont know the moment you take out the car, you may have one more dent. So better live with those small dents and scratches.

3) As Akash said that if in case you have dent on right+ left door, you can claim only for one door. Same goes for other parts too.

4) Resale value goes down drastically for multiple claims as i said.

So appreciate if you can share some pictures and we can suggest you whether you should opt for insurance or not.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: When to claim insurance..?

Firstly buddy if you may post some pics then it will be better for us to suggest you if at all insurance claim is needed. In my opinion, if the door or fender has been deeply deformed by dents then it is advised to claim insurance otherwise for minor scratches, rubbing compound, touch up or maybe a slight re-spray can be helpful. In my Honda City, I have not taken any claim for 5 years and at present it is 50% NCB (Maximum NCB Limit). Earlier it was 45% and prior to that it was around 35%. Also remember, Insurance claim is given for one side only as I am aware i.e either full left or full right side. Though in case of major accident, the claim is done as per the actual damage.

Regards

Akash

When renewing the insurance policy, you can avail 20% discount in the form of 'No Claim Bonus', if you have not registered any claim during the policy tenure.
So it is better to check the premium you paid for the first year and have a calculation based on it before opting insurance claim this time. Also there will be a compulsory deductible amount (Claim charge) of Rs.1000 for each claim you are registering irrespective of the claim value. And there will also be a 12.5% deduction on the paint labour charges if you do not have a bumper to bumper policy.

Remember, insurance pays only for a single accident. You cannot claim for multiple damages sustained over a period of time in a single claim. Also take into account that there is a necessity to lodge a claim immediately in the unfortunate event of any damage to vehicle. So if the dents happened much earlier, it may be difficult to convince the insurance company to pay for the same.

The insurance surveyor will only take into account the cause and nature of the particular accident for which you are claiming and not damages which are older and accumulated over a period of time.

Last edited:
I dont mean to hijack this thread but just a query- Back in July, I was parking my car on a speed breaker. Actually, I was parking it along the breaker and not across it as all the neighbouring cars were parked that way. Now the car rolled off the corner of th breaker before I could arrest the movement and the bumper tip projection pressed into the foothpath kerb. It bent the tip and scraped the paint. I tried the hot water method but to use it, you need to get behind the bumper lip which was not practical. Then two days later, going down a bridge in b2b traffic, the bike infront braked but did not have a brake light. My driver braked late and his mud guard pressed into the same areas as the previous damage. There was not much to be done, so have been as is.

Recently, at a MS retailer for replacement air filter, I was told the front pumper minus accessories costs just 1700 bucks. Now, all my fitting and accessories such as fog lamp cover, main grille, air dam etc are intact. He suggested to get the bumper replacement and then get it painted to match body colour. The ASC wants 6k+ for the lot whereas a good garage will do it for 2k for painting + bumper cost.
Then in October, my driver was turning left from the left most lane with a left turn signal given when a biker overtaking from the left ran into the rear LHS door. We cleaned it with a good polish. and the paint itself was mostly intact. There was a dent though. I covered with body moulding (I didnt have it previously) and its mostly hidden

Is it worth shanding these two parts? And will the silver colour paint match? If so, should I claim insurance or just live with it? Other than being at the back of my mind, its not really bothering me

Ameyam

Insurance needs to be claimed immediately for accidental damages and any other loss. If you've already done work on the damage, it will not be allowed as a claim since Insurance company needs to assess the damage through a surveyor and provide necessary approval for repairs. And you cannot club damages in different incidents/accidents into one claim.

Last edited:
Insurance needs to be claimed immediately for accidental damages and any other loss. If you've already done work on the damage, it will not be allowed as a claim since Insurance company needs to assess the damage through a surveyor and provide necessary approval for repairs. And you cannot club damages in different incidents/accidents into one claim.
Noted. However, my question wasnt only regarding the insurance. Is it worth to get the bumper and door replaced or should I just let it be?

Ameyam

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Which documents are required for car insurance claim? please reply if anyone is know..
RC, Driving Licence Copy and the Copy of Valid Insurance Policy is needed. Also you'll have to fill in a claim form with the details of how and when did the crash/accident happen.

Regards

Akash

I've deep scratches and dents on all sides of my car and a fellow here mentioned that you can only avail insurance for a single crash and single side. So do i've make a good story on how i got all that in a single crash? My car i20 is 5 months old and is insured with sbi with zero deb add on!

Top Bottom