Hyundai Grand i10 Accident Woes (L&T Insurance | Modi Hyundai)

Thread Starter #1
Dear Admin and Respected seniors in the forum,
while I was driving my Grand i10 Asta (o) crdi car to work on 22 Oct 16, I encountered a wrong sided biker coming onto me at full speed near Colaba causeway and to avoid collision, I veered left, hitting a pothole and damaging the underside of my car.
I immediately felt it would have done some damage and stopped the car within moving ahead by 8-10 feet to check the underside as my car's ground clearance is low. I could see dark engine oil dripping and since I was in a hurry to report on duty, I took a cab back to my home, gave the keys and car essential documents to my wife, asking her to contact Modi Hyundai Service, Chunabhatti, Mumbai since a previous relative's car was repaired there and proceeded to work.
Meanwhile the service centre guys had sent a tow van and taken the vehicle to their workshop for damage assessment and further processing.On returning, my wife confirmed the above details and showed me a picture she had clicked of the vehicle being towed (-its in attachment).
DAY 2, 23 Oct 16, I went to do the paper work and was expecting the insurance surveyor to be present but I was sent back saying surveyor will come on his own and the Modi Hyundai people will contact us when the survey is done.
Day 3, 24 Oct 16 no communication from them or us.

Day 4, 25 Oct 16, while I was away on work, my wife was called up by service centre and told that damage survey was done by L&T insurance surveyor and that there was Engine Damage involved, which wouldn't be covered by insurance. I was out of station and returned home on 28 Oct 16.

Day 5, 6, 7 - no further communication from us or them.

Day 8, 29 Oct 16, upon going to workshop i found the engine was removed and Floor Supervisor tells me that engine overhaul is to be done and a cost of Rs 40-50 thousand has to be borne by me as insurance will not cover it. I immediately demanded to speak to surveyor as to know what his assessment was, reluctantly they provided me the surveyor's number and he told me that he had done external damage assessment only and that engine problem was not told by Modi Hyundai to the surveyor. I was initially worried about what the heck was happening and requested the surveyor to come over and do a reassessment in my presence, which he declined saying he is proceeding on leave being Diwali.
I asked the reason for engine damage as I had promptly stopped and parked the car with engine shut off immediately after the impact and was sure that engine had not seized while I was with the car. Then I asked him about the towing process followed and showed him the picture that my wife had taken to which he had no explanation.
Today, as I write this, the service centre isn't responding my calls properly and saying that Surveyor will come after one week to reassess the damage and my car will be kept there itself. the other parts have been ordered and yet to arrive it seems, which I think is a load of lies.
I have attached the insurance, towing pic(a bit unclear, taken incidentally taken just by chance by my wife)
I request seniors from TAI to please help me out in regard to this issue as to how should I proceed further?
Also, can the towing process (without lifting the front end of my car) damage the engine? Please help me out guys.[confused]:please::help:

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: GRAND i10 accident woes(L&T INSURANCE- MODI HYUNDAI Service, MUMBAI

First pic in the second batch of attachments id the Towing Van pic, taken from a distance by my wife, that's the only pic she took sadly.[frustration]

bhvm

Honoured Member

Everything should be covered in Insurarance.
This is physical damage to Engine Sump & Underbody. As you have not driven the car after oil leak, there should be no internal engine damage. Even 50k Engine repair quote is a fake one.

Send a sharp mail to Hyundai Customer service (India Head). They'll set some fire on tails of these lazy surveyors/ Workshop people.

P.s- I got a gut feeling that these Modi Hyundai Fools tried cranking engine in Damaged/Dry condition hence they ruined it and want an overhaul. Which they're just pushing onto you.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Everything should be covered in Insurarance.
This is physical damage to Engine Sump & Underbody. As you have not driven the car after oil leak, there should be no internal engine damage. Even 50k Engine repair quote is a fake one.

Send a sharp mail to Hyundai Customer service (India Head). They'll set some fire on tails of these lazy surveyors/ Workshop people.

P.s- I got a gut feeling that these Modi Hyundai Fools tried cranking engine in Damaged/Dry condition hence they ruined it and want an overhaul. Which they're just pushing onto you.
Take a look at the towing pic. Why the hell the front wheels are on the ground ?

To OP - did they tow like this the entire way to the service center ?

Edit : the front wheels should not move while towing. Do one thing , find your car's manual and you will find a page with a pic illustrating how the car should be towed.
I am certain that the way they towed the vehicle is the only reason engine / transmission got damaged and they are not repairing your car and insurance is not paying for engine damages. Now go to the service xenter tomorrow and give them a peice of your mind. They didn't tow the car properly and your car got messed up.
I am sure after they see your pic of towing they will say car came in properly with wheels lifted up. Then you demand to see the cctv footage of how the car came in the facility. Be gentle but at the same time show them how irritated are you with them. Get the towing receipt of you haven't got that already. It has been around 10-12 days so I am sure theye mUst have the cctv footage. If they say they don't have it just file a police complaint and they will give you the footage.

Attachments

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

Yes front wheels should've been lifted on the stands. I thought that pic was Towing operation being installed and not actually towing. Anyways, even if front wheels are on ground, the gearbox should've been in neutral (to allow towing), which mean engine was not being rotated by wheels.

kkn13

Suspended

Take a look at the towing pic. Why the hell the front wheels are on the ground ?

Edit : the front wheels should not move. Do one thing , find your car's manual and you will find a page with a pic illustrating how the car should be towed.
I am certain that the way they towed the vehicle is the only reason engine / transmission got damaged and they are not repairing your car and insurance is not paying for engine damages. Now go to the service xenter tomorrow and give them a peice of your mind. They didn't tow the car properly and your car got messed up.
Yeah I had a similar incident with my crv differential chamber 2-3 years ago
Honda specifically asked me not to move the car or gears at all and sent a flatbed otherwise engine might have seized or tranny would be affected badly
Estimate was 2L roughly and had anything else gone wrong, I would have had to pay 6-7L

Anyways my point being, looks like service centre towing could have caused an issue or they are trying to take op for a ride
OP should twist a few arms with emails to the Hyundai heads and maybe ask a 2nd opinion imho from a reliable source

Off topic but its extremely infuriating to see stuff like this happen , stupid bikers like this and pathetic roads

Thread Starter #7

Edit : the front wheels should not move while towing. Do one thing , find your car's manual and you will find a page with a pic illustrating how the car should be towed.
yes sir, it was towed from colaba area till chunabhatti, approximately 25 km [roll]
paid 2k for towing too[frustration]

:please:Can anyone give me a reliable contact/email of Hyundai motors to take up this issue? It will be a great help guys...

what have they made this sump out of? Plastic.

That sump should be covered under insurance. Thats what insurance is for.

Lets say there was a frontal impact, wont they cover for damage to the engine then? They should.

Also worth noting. You were driving on a paved road. And then you hit a pothole. Which damaged your car. Insurance will cover this underbody damage.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

:please:Can anyone give me a reliable contact/email of Hyundai motors to take up this issue? It will be a great help guys...
http://m.hyundai.co.in/mobile/contactus.aspx. check this.

@ bhvm- wil get back to you.

Thread Starter #10
what have they made this sump out of? Plastic.

That sump should be covered under insurance. Thats what insurance is for.

Lets say there was a frontal impact, wont they cover for damage to the engine then? They should.

Also worth noting. You were driving on a paved road. And then you hit a pothole. Which damaged your car. Insurance will cover this underbody damage.
yes sir, but the Modi Hyundai Workshop says that Engine is damaged/seized and insurance doesn't cover seizing of engine. But, as I have mentioned.... I was sure to immediately stop the car on impact and shut the engine off after impact to prevent the same. However the genius tow truck chaps sent by Modi Hyundai have apparently caused the engine damage due to wrong method of towing.

http://m.hyundai.co.in/mobile/contactus.aspx. check this.

@ bhvm- wil get back to you.
Thanks a ton sir, shootin off an email right away

I had faced similar problem, a rock hit the bottom of my car and there was small cut in the engine sump and engine oil started leaking out like a tap, I only noticed it after 10-15 km. Towed to nearest centre, after lot of thought put MSeal on it and started back after filling the engine oil. It nearly drove another 500km without any issues. I feel the price quoted is very hit considering there is no bend of any major engine parts. Sump is just a reservoir and gasket for it would not cost much. towing cost is high but its ok

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Yes front wheels should've been lifted on the stands. I thought that pic was Towing operation being installed and not actually towing. Anyways, even if front wheels are on ground, the gearbox should've been in neutral (to allow towing), which mean engine was not being rotated by wheels.
Will it make a difference if the oil was leaking ?

From grand i10 manual. Check the caution box.

Attachments

Last edited:
This is a classic case of damage being amplified by service people and lack of negligence by insurance guy.

File a complaint with:
1) Hyundai customer care
2) Hyundai India service head
3) Regional service manager of the area
4) L&T insurance
5) A cc to IRDA is a must
6) Additionally it will be best if you manage to send a legal notice to service station and L&T insurance office in your area asking them to produce in written whatever they are saying and the time taken by the surveyed for all this.

Once this all is done, then see how things start working.

BTW some fanboys may feel judges over what I say but looks like denying expensive repairs done under warranty and or getting customer's car damage amplified by the foolishness or lack of experience of service guys is quite common for Maruti and Hyundai guys. I have personally encountered such cases, but since a large chunk of buyers is away from social media etc, they aren't complained of and since they aren't complained of, so they are good people.

@ anupsdmedic

If you switched off your car within one min after impact then i am absolutely sure you will not have any engine damage.
Also if the Hyundai center you sent it to is a basic rural one(like village or town) which does not have body shop authorization(or something like that) then they wont have facility for any engine related work & insurance wont be sanctioned.But in your case i guess you sent it to a well equipped service center so i can come to two conclusions
- the towing guys must have switched on the engine to make the power steering/brakes work or someone at the service center did it.
- Or the company guys are taking you for a ride as no way you will have any engine damage if your car is switched off under a min after impact.

Either way i had a similar experience & insurance paid around 70% of the bill.
My car was towed with all four wheels like you have shown in pic but at crawling pace as it was a forest area & hoisting the car would result in rear bumper tearing off, but this was done for around half a km after which the car was taken for around 80 odd kms with the front wheel hoisted. It was a Hyundai service tow vehicle itself. NO engine damage reported.

Full description & pics of incident are there in my ownership thread. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...i20-i-gen-sportz-crdi-ownership-review-5.html

Prads saarji
The cat in this case is already out of the bag and if the OP isnt having an engine protector add on in his policy then he is already in trouble (engine protector is also not an easy thingy to get cleared though)

Now only a danda can push the cat back in the bag because nine of the parties involved are going to accept their fault until OP gets stricter.

On a separate note: Everytime one has to file an insurance claim, it is very important to click the photographs of the vehicle at the accident spot itself in as-it-is condition. Especially highlighting the affected area.

In this case the OP must have made a video showing oil coming out of the oil sump with pics of the car being parked and being towed, it helps a lot.

Any ways, now it is the time to think over how to get things back in place now. Rest I know it really well that until someone higher up is involved in this matter, customer care guys will take painfully long time to address this one.

Top Bottom