Shifting From Karnal To Gurgaon: Need Clarification on Registration

Thread Starter #1
A friend plans to shift from karnal(haryana) to NCR. Can you please tell me whether cars from rest of Haryana count as outside state cars in Gurgaon since Gurgaon is a part of NCR region. Can a car from HR-05 (karnal) be readily sold/ registered in Gurgaon since Haryana road tax has already been paid. If he continues to use this karnal car in gurgaon , will he have difficulty selling it in gurgaon in a few years? Will this be regarded as an inter state transfer or an intra state transfer due to the NCR issue? Also what is the rule pertaining to registration of outside state vehicles in Delhi? Can BS 4 cars from outside state be registered in delhi?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddy,

The main state in which Karnal and Gurgaon come are Haryana. NCR means, areas near to National Capital i.e Delhi. If you bring a Karnal registered car to gurgaon then it won't be seen as outside state car since both Karnal and Gurgaon are part of Haryana state. For Eg, I stay in Noida (UP-16) and would re-locate to another city in UP, say, Bareilly (UP-25) so in that case, I won't be paying road tax for Bareilly again as Road Tax wont be paid twice for the same state in which car is registered because once road tax is paid then the vehicle is free to move around in any city of that state. In case your friend wants to sell the car in few years, he would need an NOC from Karnal RTO and about interstate and intrastate transfer; Inter-state transfer means, The vehicle of one state is being transferred to another state for eg: Delhi-to-Rajasthan or Delhi-to-Punjab where as Intra-state transfer means, transferring the same car from one city to another city of the same state.

PS: In the registration number: First two letter notify the state and second two notify the city / area of that state. So HR-05 mean it is a Haryana state vehicle with 05 being the area code of Karnal City.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Buddy,

The main state in which Karnal and Gurgaon come are Haryana. NCR means, areas near to National Capital i.e Delhi. If you bring a Karnal registered car to gurgaon then it won't be seen as outside state car since both Karnal and Gurgaon are part of Haryana state. For Eg, I stay in Noida (UP-16) and would re-locate to another city in UP, say, Bareilly (UP-25) so in that case, I won't be paying road tax for Bareilly again as Road Tax wont be paid twice for the same state in which car is registered because once road tax is paid then the vehicle is free to move around in any city of that state. In case your friend wants to sell the car in few years, he would need an NOC from Karnal RTO and about interstate and intrastate transfer; Inter-state transfer means, The vehicle of one state is being transferred to another state for eg: Delhi-to-Rajasthan or Delhi-to-Punjab where as Intra-state transfer means, transferring the same car from one city to another city of the same state.

PS: In the registration number: First two letter notify the state and second two notify the city / area of that state. So HR-05 mean it is a Haryana state vehicle with 05 being the area code of Karnal City.

Regards

Akash
Thanks for the quick reply. He was curious because Gurgaon being a part of ncr may have different rules from rest of haryana. Also it is much easier to do an intra state ownership transfer while selling as compared to an inter state transfer so I believe it won't be very hard to sell this karnal vehicle in Gurgaon a few years down the line? ..he is in a transferable job and has to consider how he will go about selling his car in the new city prior to shifting cities.

Last edited:

Top Bottom