What's Fine For Not Having NOC?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone tell what is the legal fine amount for not having NOC of a vehicle. I am driving an AP registered car in Pune and want to check on the legal fine for not having NOC. However in the list of fines for driving offenses I have not find anything related to that. Not only for Maharshtra, I actually didnt find anything related to this in any RTO website for any state. Is there actually a fine that is defined for that or the police just try to take as much money as can be possible in the name of NOC.

Thanks and Regards
Souvik Jana..

Re: What is the fine for not having NOC

There is no fine for NOC,but the RTO can charge you for not paying the road tax in Pune. You have to pay tax if you are using the car for more than 11 months or you have a permanent address in Pune. This rule is used left and right by the RTO to make money.

Thread Starter #3

There is no fine for NOC,but the RTO can charge you for not paying the road tax in Pune. You have to pay tax if you are using the car for more than 11 months or you have a permanent address in Pune. This rule is used left and right by the RTO to make money.
Ok.. But if a person dont have NOC and the police say that they have to pay the fine, it would be mentioned somewhere that this much amount of fine needs to be paid if the NOC is not there.. So I want to know where is that amount mentioned and how much is it for different class of vehicles??

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member

As @generalmax said, the cops can insist you to pay the tax or else they can charge you penalty (probably it depends on what ground he is going to charge you)..

I was using my previous car (Hyundai Accent) which was registered in Chennai. I used to drive once in 3 or 4 months to Kerala and stay here about a week or so. Couple of times cops caught me and I used to escape explaining him that I came to kerala for some urgent prupose and the car will be taken back to Chennai in a day or two... likewise. In one occassion, the officer who stopped me not willing to accept my reasons saying that he has seen my car very often (yes the car was having single digit regn number and easy to remember) and I need to pay the Tax difference and as such he took my License and RC book. Luckily I was having the petrol bill of chennai petrol bunk where I did fill up petrol before leaving for Kerala which I have shown to the officer proving that the Car was in Chennai few day back etc. That petrol bill saved me at that occassion.

Thread Starter #5

As @generalmax said, the cops can insist you to pay the tax or else they can charge you penalty (probably it depends on what ground he is going to charge you)..

I was using my previous car (Hyundai Accent) which was registered in Chennai. I used to drive once in 3 or 4 months to Kerala and stay here about a week or so. Couple of times cops caught me and I used to escape explaining him that I came to kerala for some urgent prupose and the car will be taken back to Chennai in a day or two... likewise. In one occassion, the officer who stopped me not willing to accept my reasons saying that he has seen my car very often (yes the car was having single digit regn number and easy to remember) and I need to pay the Tax difference and as such he took my License and RC book. Luckily I was having the petrol bill of chennai petrol bunk where I did fill up petrol before leaving for Kerala which I have shown to the officer proving that the Car was in Chennai few day back etc. That petrol bill saved me at that occassion.
I think the cops take advantage of the situation that since the RTO laws of this country are so anarchic that people can be easily harassed and police and rto people can make money. My question is different. I know everyone is aware of the situation but it would really be great if I would know the actual amount of fine (in writing) that I need to pay for not having the NOC. Say if the fine itself is 500 then the cops can't start negotiating from 2000 right since I know the fine is 500. However nowhere I found the actual legal fine amount for not having NOC written in all the police and RTO list of driving offenses. Thats why my question what is the fine amount in rupees for not having the NOC for a particular class of vehicle and where it is written. Since it is a rule and not obeying the rule will cause a penalty then it has to be written somewhere right??

It is the lack of knowledge today for this that I was unsure of whether to bribe the cop or pay the fine. I was in hurry so it didnt strike me then to see the same in the list of fine in writing. The police/rto must have it with them if they are saying that.

Last edited:

May be you can get in touch with some local RTO agent and ask him what is the fine. Or just walk upto a traffic cop and ask him (don't take the vehicle with you though). Whatever the fine will be insist on a receipt for same. And just in case if later you discover that they fined you higher than what should have been you can always go to nearest traffic cop station and complain.

Sir let me clarify your doubt N.O.C is issued in two situations

situation one: the Registered owner on the R.C. is moving out of the the registered state to another state, then the N.O.C is issued to the R.T.O. under whose jurisdiction the registered owner would live after he/ she moves to that state.

Situation 2: in this you sell the car to a person who is residing out of your state and hence an N.O.C has to be issued to the R.T.O in whose jurisdiction the buyer resides.

Any private car can roam around in any other state of india apart from its home state for a Period of 30 days beyond which if you are supposed to visit the nearest R.T.O and explain the situation and the R.T.O would guide you then as to what is the procedure.

if an N.O.C is already issued and you are not carrying it then the fine would be what it would be if you are travelling without an R.C. or insurance.
Hope the issue is crystal clear now.

In case you havent taken the N.O.C and the squad stops you not the R.T.O but the squad then you are supposed to pay the tax calculated by them on spot or else get your car impounded till you pay the road tax of the state.

Top Bottom