6 Months Old Hyundai Eon. Burns Up While Starting. What To Do Now?

Thread Starter #1
Dear all,
This is about a Hyundai Eon purchased in July 2015 ( dLite+ model) by my colleague. The car has been in regular use since then and has covered approximately 5000 km till date. It has been well maintained and serviced as prescribed by the manufacturing company with Hyundai’s Authorized dealer. Also it doesn't have any unauthorized electrical installations.

However, on 12th January 2016 when he tried to start the vehicle, it caught fire in the parking itself resulting in heavy damage. Around 5-6 cars which are usually parked beside in the parking area were at risk. He escaped death closely as a neighbor immediately alerted him of smoke from the bonnet. The watchman and few other neighbors helped him out in bringing the smoke & fire under control.

However, given the fact that it was a new vehicle purchased only months before and that he had not tampered with any accessories whatsoever or in any manner, he doesn’t feel it justified that such an incident should occur. He has launched a claim with the car’s insurer who most probably would declare it as total loss. Given the fact that the insurer’s liability is around 70k-80k less than the money shelled out in taking a new car into possession this would be an unnecessary loss to the owner. He has written to the customer redressal cell of Hyundai Motors India Ltd., yet to receive a reply from them. The dealer has quoted around 2.6L worth of replacement & repair, while he is now feeling insecure & skeptical to use the same car again.

He is very much inclined that the company provides him a new car covering the RTO and insurance charges as applicable and see this as an incident that could have taken a toll on his life as well as all other society members / neighbor's cars parked beside his car while it was on caught fire!

Please find attached the car images after the incident. There is also damage to the plastic panels near driver foot well. I would request you to suggest me ways to take this case forward.

Attachments

Re: 6 months old Hyundai Eon - Burns up while starting. What to do now?

More than the apathy from the dealer,let us check what caused the fire.This way we can make sure that this don't happen.May save lives.Can you get some reports from the service center.We can warn the eon users of possible fire.In India recalls are not made public.Is this the 1 litre engine?

Re: 6 months old Hyundai Eon - Burns up while starting. What to do now?

O M G !
Glad that your colleague escaped safely.
What was the reaction from the service centre?

The dealer has quoted around 2.6L worth of replacement & repair
Does the owner has to bear the cost? [confused]

He is very much inclined that the company provides him a new car covering the RTO and insurance charges as applicable
Hyundai?

.Is this the 1 litre engine?
This must be an 800cc engine since he has mentioned that it is a Dlite+ variant. I guess 1 litre engine comes only in Magna & Sports variant.

I really feel sorry for that friend of your's, a brand new car 6months old getting burnt.
I dont think Hyundai will do anything about it, moreover even if there is a single mod/accessory on car (not bought at showroom) they will blaim the non OEM part to be the cause.

Top Bottom