Relocating From Pune To Chennai With Owned Car. Yearly Taxes Option?

Thread Starter #1
I would be soon relocating to Chennai from Pune. However I am yet not very sure if the time frame of the job will be > 1 year or less.

I tried to check in forums of similar thread but could not get an answer if legal option is available for outside Tamilnadu cars to be able to register for upto 1st year? Can anyone please confirm it? also, what will be approximate taxes to be paid + what will be the process to do so

Since this one year will give me sufficient time to take calculated decision to either register the car from 2nd year onwards.

Thanks

Re: Relocating from Pune to Chennai with owned car, yearly taxes option?

I would be soon relocating to Chennai from Pune. However I am yet not very sure if the time frame of the job will be > 1 year or less.

I tried to check in forums of similar thread but could not get an answer if legal option is available for outside Tamilnadu cars to be able to register for upto 1st year? Can anyone please confirm it? also, what will be approximate taxes to be paid + what will be the process to do so

Since this one year will give me sufficient time to take calculated decision to either register the car from 2nd year onwards.

Thanks
Hi.
It's very simple. You have to get a noc from your registration authority of pune and b extract take it to chennai rto submit it and pay yearly tax. I am not sure about the tax amount or ratio. It will be around 2k to 3k.

According to the motor vehicle act you r permitted to drive other state registered vehicle upto 30days. After 30days and more you have to pay tax for a year.

Since few months rto bangalore have been vigilant and slammed cases on other state vehicles. Rest of the places it is hardly noticed and scrutinized.. I don't know the scenario in Tamil nadu.

This is only an option if you wan to take your vehicle back to pune.

If you wan a settle down in TN then get TN registration done. You will have to pay life time tax again. the tax will be calculated after the depreciation. One year old vehicle will have 20%less cost as per your purchase invoice and so on. You can also ask for a partial refund from pune rto but it will take ages for you to get the money. It will be easier to sell TN registration vehicles in TN than MH registered.

If your stay is for a year or two then pay yearly tax.

I think the yearly tax option is not followed in practice for privately owned cars. You've to check with TN RTO if they'll do the same.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Amit for your detailed response and it was super helpful.

I would like to use my own car instead of selling it here in Pune and purchasing another one in Chennai, since it is just 1 year old car, and for next short term, i dont wish to buy any other car other than Polo. So it will be very costly to buy a new car in Chennai given the rise in prices of VW since last year + selling the current one at throw away prices here.
Also, i do not wish to stay in Chennai for more than 2 years at max.

Appreciated your response and i tried to summarize it in points, so in future can use for other users.

1) I will get the NOC from Pune RTO before my departure from pune here.
2) The amount of annual road tax seems fine for me
3) Within 30 days of entering the new state, will need to pay the yearly tax to new RTO authorities
4) Tax will be calculated on the yearly depreciated value based on Invoice Amt.
5) Tax will be paid on yearly basis for each year, so if staying for >1 year, then will need to pay 2 year tax.

But slightly confused with reply from "Crazy Cat" that this yearly tax model is NOT practically followed in Chennai

Can anyone have recent experience or knowledge from Chennai please?

Many Thanks.

Hi.
It's very simple. You have to get a noc from your registration authority of pune and b extract take it to chennai rto submit it and pay yearly tax. I am not sure about the tax amount or ratio. It will be around 2k to 3k.

According to the motor vehicle act you r permitted to drive other state registered vehicle upto 30days. After 30days and more you have to pay tax for a year.

Since few months rto bangalore have been vigilant and slammed cases on other state vehicles. Rest of the places it is hardly noticed and scrutinized.. I don't know the scenario in Tamil nadu.

This is only an option if you wan to take your vehicle back to pune.

If you wan a settle down in TN then get TN registration done. You will have to pay life time tax again. the tax will be calculated after the depreciation. One year old vehicle will have 20%less cost as per your purchase invoice and so on. You can also ask for a partial refund from pune rto but it will take ages for you to get the money. It will be easier to sell TN registration vehicles in TN than MH registered.

If your stay is for a year or two then pay yearly tax.
Thanks a lot for your reply, but got bit confused since you are referring as this yearly tax payment rule is NOT practically followed in Chennai, Do you happen to have a recent experience on this? or any other way out for me, please?

I think the yearly tax option is not followed in practice for privately owned cars. You've to check with TN RTO if they'll do the same.

This rule is applicable in every state. But the taxation amount is different for every state..

That is what I mentioned crazy cat, if you ask the rto officer he will tell what I mentioned. But non of the cops have time to track these vehicles. So non of them bother to pay tax.

Top Bottom